The Garden Corner

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
If I can get there, I will: a 22 ft box!
And a sign: "will weed for 'maters!" :D

I sure would have put you to work this morning...weeded a couple rows and pulled all my shallots which are now drying under a shade tree in the back yard...then I picked enough green beans for lunch and a few cherry tomatoes and actually found a couple baby potatoes. And the cuke patch yielded again..got enough to dill 6 quart jars this morning. And I yanked the last of the rhubarb and made some rhubarb-strawberry jam. Which I might add is extremely tasty!!:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just pulled the first Yukon gold potatoes! waiting for them to cook now!! They looked great coming out of the ground...:D First time we tried to grow potatoes...There is something satisfying about this..

Cucumber/green onions in salad...mashed potatoes with corn...some pickled beets and dill pickles...the garlic is also home grown....:D

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Just pulled the first Yukon gold potatoes! waiting for them to cook now!! They looked great coming out of the ground...:D First time we tried to grow potatoes...There is something satisfying about this..

Cucumber/green onions in salad...mashed potatoes with corn...some pickled beets and dill pickles...the garlic is also home grown....:D

and guess who actually dug the potatoes...that's right...OVM is a gardener!!!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Just pulled all the red and white onions and they're drying under the tree in the shade in the back yard. Pulled all the green onions and will chop them up for soup and freeze them...they got kinda big. Yanked the last of the garlic bulbs and will put them in the window to dry.

And Cherri!! I just picked half a dishpan full of cherry tomatoes! And you're not here so am thinking I'll pickle them...

I think the corn is almost done..the few ears left aren't getting much bigger and I need to pull the stalks so I can dig more yukon gold potatoes. Should pick the summer and some winter squash too...but there's always tomorrow. Last night it got down to 46 degrees so am thinking that first freeze isn't too far away.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
For them that are counting...7 more jars of pickles put up this afternoon...and I didn't think I had enough pickling cucumber hills...*LOL*

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Squash anyone? It's that time of year that my neighbors start locking their cars so I can't leave them a present...*LOL*

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
And tomatoes are finally ripening up. Had an heirloom tomatoe in my taco salad last night that was perfection..Just bought 4 more cases of mason jars to put them up too. and it's finally raining this morning..nice and gentle should produce a whole lot more.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I now have another recipe for snap peas...toss with olive oil and broil for two minutes until they start to turn brown and crispy...then toss them with sea salt...pretty scrumptious!

In my family, brussels sprouts are prepared like that: steamed or boiled till crisp tender, then lightly sauteed. Scrumptious is exactly right! :)

Asparagus that way too.. mmmm

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
yep...but I have to wait till next year..just first year ferns are up..

Actually... I meant to say... brush with oil.. and kosher salt.. and broil.. (for the asparagus, but it would be nice with the peas too)

Perhaps you could purchase some asparagus this year with some of that expediter income from DH!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually... I meant to say... brush with oil.. and kosher salt.. and broil.. (for the asparagus, but it would be nice with the peas too)

Perhaps you could purchase some asparagus this year with some of that expediter income from DH!

Not to worry about the DH..the hay crop $$$$ more then covers that cost...;)