The Garden Corner

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
when ya pull a leek out of the ground and turn it up...it is like a Bart Simpson haircut....*LOL*

and when you dig them up in my garden they always have earthworms crawling thru the hair...you gotta shake the heck out of it to get the worms back in the garden..

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
So this delightful little cucumber
raised it's little head
I pondered for a minute
then stomped it in the bed

The garden is still producing
and my patience is wearing thin
I think it's time to do it in
and the spring begin again

The world outside awaits me
I can see the forest for the trees
I'm looking ahead for winter
to less abuse upon my knees

The larder's full, the jars are packed
the freezer fit to burst
Now is the time to just relax and smile
and enjoy the fruits of my work

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
And I am enjoying it..yesterday..home made tomato soup.. Today some fresh from the garden yukon gold taters...mashed with my own garlic and a pot roast with my own onions and my home grown green beans with a touch of bacon fat..gawd I'm hungry!!!:D

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Well it's official...pulled the cuke vines out this morning and had enough to put up a few more quarts, make some creamed cukes AND a big salad for lunch. Also picked more tomatoes, gave away another box of them to a neighbor, and put up some more quarts of tomatoes too. And still have a couple of boxes of green ones ripening up in the back room.:)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Boy, planting and watering and weeding is a whole lot more fun than pulling out the plants when they're done. I've just made 8 trips with the wheelbarrow full of tomato plants and not done yet. Good thing we've got the acreage to dump it in..and I've got another good size box of tomatoes to pick up from the ground.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I've got a recipe for Jag...a west Indies rice dish with smoked sausage and a lot of veggies. Today I was able to put my OWN veggies in..kale, green beans, snap peas, white onion, red onion, shallot and garlic and it's happily simmering away in the kitchen...lunch anyone?:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
spuds are all dug up...:D out of a 20 foot row got about 30Lbs of Yukon Golds...

First year trying potatoes, the ground needs to be worked up better, too much clay yet and had quite a few small ones...next year 2 rows...

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
spuds are all dug up...:D out of a 20 foot row got about 30Lbs of Yukon Golds...

First year trying potatoes, the ground needs to be worked up better, too much clay yet and had quite a few small ones...next year 2 rows...

guess I ought to make you some leek potato soup...:)

and the garden's NOT quite done yet....got a lot of peppers yet...banana and jalapeno.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Time to put this bad boy to rest...the manure has been spread after everything was pulled, and the fella will be in to plow it all under before it freezes.. it looks like black gold spread on top right now and am thinking next year will be even better! Time to go back to work...enuff play for this year...*LOL*:D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Time to put this bad boy to rest...the manure has been spread after everything was pulled, and the fella will be in to plow it all under before it freezes.. it looks like black gold spread on top right now and am thinking next year will be even better! Time to go back to work...enuff play for this year...*LOL*:D

I would think taking care of OVM is work enough for anyone;):D:rolleyes:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Man, I miss my garden already..but by the time I get home there should be some seed catalogs awating me.Just have to put some flowers or some veggies in my aero garden on the kitchen table. Now if I could just find a yellow mandevilla while I'm down south I'd be a real happy camper!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
How do you like your aero garden?

I had one here but the cats decided they liked to play with the leaves and killed the plants.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Greg..I used it mostly last year for starting veggie seeds, but of course my well mannered cats would never think of getting up on the table and eating them....<snorts> :)