T&K

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Sylectus "policy" says a carrier must have 5 units.

I think he was talking about loads being exclusive use, no double dipping.

Anyway, I know that is the policy for Sylectus, but how easy is that to enforce? You could check the MCS-150, but a company could have 20 vans and they wouldn't necessarily be listed on that if they don't have any over 10k vehicles and don't have a DOT #. I think there are a few folks on there who are single vehicle operations but are trying to hide that fact.

As to the double brokering, it's getting pretty bad and I don't think NLM is doing a darn thing to stop it either. A few times I have had a bid on an NLM load and seen the load get awarded to another carrier, only to get a call 5 minutes later from someone on Sylectus offering me the same load for a truck I have posted. Then you have the tier system at NLM where some of the top tier people are seeing loads the bottom of the totem pole people don't see and they're grabbing them up just to sell them back to the smaller carriers who didn't see the load. Case in point: Last year I had a truck sitting in a very non competitive part of the northeast. There were no other trucks within 100 miles. I got a call from someone offering me a load going to the Detroit area. A red flag went up and I thought the odds were pretty good it was an automotive load. I told that carrier our driver wasn't interested in the load. Within 5 minutes the same load showed up on NLM. I bid it and got awarded it right away, for more money than I probably could have gotten from the other carrier. It's obvious what happened. The first carrier was one of the top tier people who saw it before I did, but when they couldn't cover it, NLM threw it out there for everyone else to see and since we had the only truck around we got the load. I thought the whole point of Sylectus was to help carriers cover loads for their customers, not go out and search for loads that they can broker to someone else on there who might not have access to that particular freight source. Of course the other side to that is that often a smaller carrier might not have access to that freight and the larger carrier who does can take advantage of that and help them out, but often it seems like people are just trying to snatch everything up only to make a quick buck off it and farm it right back out, but when it gets down to the driver, what kind of money is he left with?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think he was talking about loads being exclusive use, no double dipping.

Anyway, I know that is the policy for Sylectus, but how easy is that to enforce? You could check the MCS-150, but a company could have 20 vans and they wouldn't necessarily be listed on that if they don't have any over 10k vehicles and don't have a DOT #. I think there are a few folks on there who are single vehicle operations but are trying to hide that fact.

As to the double brokering, it's getting pretty bad and I don't think NLM is doing a darn thing to stop it either. A few times I have had a bid on an NLM load and seen the load get awarded to another carrier, only to get a call 5 minutes later from someone on Sylectus offering me the same load for a truck I have posted. Then you have the tier system at NLM where some of the top tier people are seeing loads the bottom of the totem pole people don't see and they're grabbing them up just to sell them back to the smaller carriers who didn't see the load. Case in point: Last year I had a truck sitting in a very non competitive part of the northeast. There were no other trucks within 100 miles. I got a call from someone offering me a load going to the Detroit area. A red flag went up and I thought the odds were pretty good it was an automotive load. I told that carrier our driver wasn't interested in the load. Within 5 minutes the same load showed up on NLM. I bid it and got awarded it right away, for more money than I probably could have gotten from the other carrier. It's obvious what happened. The first carrier was one of the top tier people who saw it before I did, but when they couldn't cover it, NLM threw it out there for everyone else to see and since we had the only truck around we got the load. I thought the whole point of Sylectus was to help carriers cover loads for their customers, not go out and search for loads that they can broker to someone else on there who might not have access to that particular freight source. Of course the other side to that is that often a smaller carrier might not have access to that freight and the larger carrier who does can take advantage of that and help them out, but often it seems like people are just trying to snatch everything up only to make a quick buck off it and farm it right back out, but when it gets down to the driver, what kind of money is he left with?

It is also not unusual to see some put several shipments on the same truck. TX and MI are the hot spots for that activity.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I used to work for a smaller carrier who would double me up all of the time. They have two, even three different truck numbers for my truck because NLM requires unite numbers to be listed within an hour of accepting a load. They want different unit numbers for each shipment. I'm glad I wasn't the one juggling all of that hoopla for one unit. NLM is a very strict board and if you mess up too many times they will kick you off.

There are other load sources like Ryder Logistics where a lot of rail-yard loads are posted and those offers only get sent out to a select group of carriers. Ryder Logistics hardly ever adds on new carriers because they think that they are getting all of their loads covered - when in actuality the carriers that they have in their system are just booking the loads and then brokering them back out to the bottom feeders on Sylectus. Once again, it's not the job of Sylectus to police this kind of activity - it is the job of the 3PL's. I wish this sort of activity would change but I suppose if too many people got on all of the load boards the rates would be chopped right down to the stump. It's kind of a be careful for what you wish for situation!

I am currently having this same discussion with Jeremy over at Expeditors International. He is getting me signed up as a partner carrier so I can see the Chrysler loads - but he thinks he really does not need more carriers when I see some of those loads being re-brokered other places. It makes the 3PL's have a false sense of "thinking that everything is getting covered with the capacity that they have" when in actuality that is not really the case. I am not going to put my reputation on the line by double brokering anything - that is just plain dumb!

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I used to work for a smaller carrier who would double me up all of the time. They have two, even three different truck numbers for my truck because NLM requires unite numbers to be listed within an hour of accepting a load. They want different unit numbers for each shipment. I'm glad I wasn't the one juggling all of that hoopla for one unit. NLM is a very strict board and if you mess up too many times they will kick you off.

There are other load sources like Ryder Logistics where a lot of rail-yard loads are posted and those offers only get sent out to a select group of carriers. Ryder Logistics hardly ever adds on new carriers because they think that they are getting all of their loads covered - when in actuality the carriers that they have in their system are just booking the loads and then brokering them back out to the bottom feeders on Sylectus. Once again, it's not the job of Sylectus to police this kind of activity - it is the job of the 3PL's. I wish this sort of activity would change but I suppose if too many people got on all of the load boards the rates would be chopped right down to the stump. It's kind of a be careful for what you wish for situation!

I am currently having this same discussion with Jeremy over at Expeditors International. He is getting me signed up as a partner carrier so I can see the Chrysler loads - but he thinks he really does not need more carriers when I see some of those loads being re-brokered other places. It makes the 3PL's have a false sense of "thinking that everything is getting covered with the capacity that they have" when in actuality that is not really the case. I am not going to put my reputation on the line by double brokering anything - that is just plain dumb!

Wow theres really shhlimeballs everywhere you go. Learn something new everyday. A lot of things are starting to add up now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

peterh

Seasoned Expediter
I see people can talk about a company or anything else thats suits the blogger for the day. But an easy way to find out whats going on with a company is to call the owner. Call me anytime. 815-463-9710

peterh

Seasoned Expediter
If Expeditors lets you see their load boards they are wrong and could loose their contract with Chrysler. Watch what you do for your personal gain on the backs of others.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If Expeditors lets you see their load boards they are wrong and could loose their contract with Chrysler. Watch what you do for your personal gain on the backs of others.

Why would that be wrong?

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I see people can talk about a company or anything else thats suits the blogger for the day. But an easy way to find out whats going on with a company is to call the owner. Call me anytime. 815-463-9710

I wasnt talking bout your co. I was replying to the comment above me

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter

Wow, Id have thought a good post and REGULAR post by you Peter would have gone and would go along way to getting what you feel is "accurate" info about your company out to those posting here , which you obviously must think are forming an opinion, or you wouldnt have bothered to come in here at all...Offering your phone # doesn't do a thing to the "group" as a whole...

I know nothing about your company other then what i read here or from drivers i have spoken to on the road...not all was is bad, not all is good...but ill share whatever i hear when people ask and let them make their own mind up....

Right now, I'd think you'd want to correct anything that you feel is inaccurate in an open forum to the whole, not over the phone to whoever might call...cause the fact is, most aren't going to call...they are going to live with what they read and hear....

Why not become an "Active" part of this "community"..post often and answer questions when they are posted..even just join in the "banter"...then people will see another side of you and your company and when a question like the OP put up, you'd be able to answer right up front....just sayin....

Last edited:

sem63

Seasoned Expediter
Be careful what you say on this thread. Ive already had two posts censored. God forbid a driver or fleet owner try to defend himself when these companies crap on them.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Be careful what you say on this thread. Ive already had two posts censored. God forbid a driver or fleet owner try to defend himself when these companies crap on them.

Gotta read the terms of service, and you were probably told why, sem63. You have less than 10 posts, which qualifies you as a 'drive-by' poster when posting negative content. Say "thanks for the tip," and then you'll have 7. Get the picture?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Gotta read the terms of service, and you were probably told why, sem63. You have less than 10 posts, which qualifies you as a 'drive-by' poster when posting negative content. Say "thanks for the tip," and then you'll have 7. Get the picture?

Double posting runs the numbers up as well :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Running the numbers up in order to get around the Code of Conduct won't get you around the Code of Conduct, however. For example, the three posts he's had removed and the one above whining about it don't count towards his current 6 posts.

And yes, he was told about it, and since he read the Code of Conduct when he signed on, he already knew about it, so he knew what he was doing when he did it.

Some people mistakenly think EO is some kind of an arbiter of disputes. It's not. They also tend to confuse [noparse]www.expeditersonline.com[/noparse] with [noparse]www.whinelikealittlegirl.com[/noparse].

Companies aren't allowed to come on here and crap on drivers or owners anymore than drivers and owners are allowed to come on here and crap on companies.

sem63

Seasoned Expediter
Well friend I wasn't whining about anything. I never thought EO was an arbitrator of any kind. I did think you presented an open forum for the working man to discuss issues pertaining to the industry even though some are controversial in nature. If we can't have an avenue to help each other on sites like this then the whole industry suffers as a result. You censored my other posts but you have people saying more derogatory things in the Panther is a scam thread.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It seems that this thread is only causing trouble. Time to lock it out. If admin wants they can reopen it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.