Sprinter engines

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Breaking cranks may be a sign of another problem, like transmission issues or a harmonic balancer issue.

WayneRodd

Seasoned Expediter
To danthewolf00, That would be me the one & only Wayne Rodd! If you ever need help in Toledo, Ohio all you need to do is call 419-304-9996. I work on these vans for next to nothing! Also I have one of DoktorA's DAD units over here if you need to check out any faults.

WayneRodd

Seasoned Expediter
Not any except that I have worked on motors most of my life. I am 43. I now own 3 Sprinters. Love these darn vans to death. They are not that hard to work on. But every day can be a new adventure. As for the motors I do none of the machine work on them. I have a local rebuilder do all of the machine work to the lower end & head they also assemble the lower end for me. From there the rest is all up to me! I wish I had got started with these a long time ago. I have over 13 of these motors out on the road still running as far as I know. That has got to count for something. It's just a hobby for me. I am by trade a electrican. I design & build electrical control panels for automated machines.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Breaking cranks may be a sign of another problem, like transmission issues or a harmonic balancer issue.
Harmonic balancer issues are not entirely unknown (de-lamination of the outer portion from the inner, and sheared keyway on the crank - in both revisions, early and late) and there are issues related to the torque converter clutch lockup (it never locks up fully - it's always partial)

The torque converter issues result in a couple of manifestations or phenomena - the first being "RSN" or "rumble strip noise" (so named since it is similar to driving over rumble strips), which is apparently caused (or worsened) by degraded transmission fluid - since changing fluid will often eliminate it. It is a slight shuddering or chattering of the torque converter clutch. It can occur on both acceleration or deceleration.

The other phenomena is somewhat similar, but it is far more violent - an extreme shuddering .... which likely transmits throughout the driveline and engine. It tends to happen when the transmission is, or remains in, a higher gear than what is appropriate for the conditions (load, grade, etc) at the moment. When this occurs, the engine is generally turning fairly low rpms (under 1500 to 2000) and is lugging.

The first condition (RSN) is generally thought to be fairly harmless ..... the second condition - the violent shuddering - is, in the opinion of some (myself included) considered to be potentially harmful.

The second condition can be alleviated by immediately "getting off the pedal" and/or downshifting to a more appropriate gear for the conditions.

Avoid the second condition always, immediately as it occurs, and don't flog the vehicle.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Wayne,

Good to see you on here - welcome - always nice to have additional resources, and being in Toledo, you are certainly on the beaten path for most here :D

WayneRodd

Seasoned Expediter
To all of you out there: My suggestion to avoid broken crankshafts is to have your balancer checked & have it retorqued while it is in for service. I have a small story about this one. About 2 years ago I had a crankshaft snap between the 1st main & 1st rod. This happend after I ran up & down a step mountain grade in low gear and let the RPMS fly as high as they would go. I know shame on me. Anyway 10 miles later after hearing a strange rattle from my motor she snapped & also bent every valve in the head. Even though the crank snapped it was still able to turn the camshafts just way out of time. I wish that I had know about this from the start I could have save myself alot of trouble & money! When I got her back home the Balancer was broken into pieces. This tells me that my balancer failed first. It will be a lesson that I will never forget. Rattle from motor(pull over right away and check it out, Do not continue to drive it unless you have found out what the problem is). A tow to shop is cheaper than a motor any day. I would have thought that there would be some type of vibration. But there was none, just the rattle. Hope this helps some of you out there!

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Wayne I might have to stop in and see you when I'm on my way home next time and see how the DAD system works.

Also if anyone else is looking for an engine, found one at a Dodge dealer out of NC thats not only the long block but includes alot of other things. THeir description is :

This engine features, new pistons, pins & rings- new timing chain and guides- new main, connecting rod and cam bearings- new gaskets and seals- new oil pump and pick up tube- new oil cooler- new glow plugs- new hoses- new fuel line- new filters- new wiring harness- new vibration damper- new vacuum pump- new fuel injectors- new fuel pump- new high pressure pump.

This engine also features completely remanufacured cylinder block- crank shaft- connecting rods- cylinder head- intake & exhaust valves- camshafts- intake manifold- exhaust manifold- flywheel- turbocharger- rocker arms- water pump and motor mounts.

Heres a link to their auction. SPRINTER VAN DIESEL ENGINE COMPLETE ASSEMBLY MOPAR OEM : eBay Motors (item 350248163030 end time May-01-10 06:24:05 PDT)

For just under $10K you can't beat the price for everything you get, basically a plug and play engine minus the fluids. Plus free shipping to boot.

Harley

Expert Expediter
Jack, the $7695 is in the crate. The Enemy, that company is the same one I ordered my long block from. Could have gotten the plug and play but my mechanic knows my van well and told me all attachments were in good shape even though we know they could die at any time. So I opted to try and save a few bucks in the meantime.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
see the big thing i don't understand if why they left out the transmission dip stick from our vans. i mean the motors are not american made and do not with stand the abuse we put american cargo vans thru. the euro pallets must weigh a lot lot less i guess.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure why people think we abuse cargo vans (and trucks) more in the US than in Europe, but by and large the pallets are roughly the same size and are made to haul 2000 pounds. The landscape of Europe, and Germany in particular, is just as varied as it is here, with lowlands nears the seas and plains rising to the Alps.

As far as the lack of transmission dipstick, it's mainly because there is no end-user accurate temperature gauge for the transmission fluid, and without an accurate temperature, the dipstick is nearly useless. Transmission fluid temperature measurement is designed to be read from the engine's computer by the DRB-III tool (or a DAD), which end users generally don't have.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I'm not sure why people think we abuse cargo vans (and trucks) more in the US than in Europe, but by and large the pallets are roughly the same size and are made to haul 2000 pounds. The landscape of Europe, and Germany in particular, is just as varied as it is here, with lowlands nears the seas and plains rising to the Alps.

As far as the lack of transmission dipstick, it's mainly because there is no end-user accurate temperature gauge for the transmission fluid, and without an accurate temperature, the dipstick is nearly useless. Transmission fluid temperature measurement is designed to be read from the engine's computer by the DRB-III tool (or a DAD), which end users generally don't have.

Mercedes considers "abuse" as lack of maintenance. They look at the US as a "gas and go" society. They actually said that in the tech training classes on Sprinters. That's why they only rated the life of the engine at 500k in the US while it's 750k in Europe.

That said, there is no transmission dipstick because it is a sealed unit and Mercedes states that there is no need for it since the computer controls the temp and pressure. The pressure sensor readings determine the fluid level as far as the computer is concerned. Instructor said they would rather have the fluid a little low than over full. The weak spots are the input/output sensor module, the valve body, and the torque converter. The rear of the trans is completely sealed. You cannot see the gear train.

To test the gear train, you use air pressure not fluid. There is a special tool, a steel plate with air fittings, and a air hose with a regulator. Using the spec pressures, you run the air pressure up and listen for the gears to shift. If all shifts are completed within the spec pressures, it passes.

We did this last year when the torque converter on one of ours went out. We replaced the converter and filter, filled it with the proper amount of fluid, checked the pressures on the DRB and put it back on the road.