Sprinter engines

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Man..get out of the sandbox and quit playing around the small stuff...just get the rebuild/new and get going....
both come with a 100,000 mile warranty parts/labor from a dealer...

shesh boys will play...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sometimes it's fun spending 4 or 5 weeks and $5000 trying to save, uhm, $5000. :D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes it's fun spending 4 or 5 weeks and $5000 trying to save, uhm, $5000. :D
No accounting for anyone's taste in hobbies .... :D

Some people like to spend their time chasing a little ball around and knocking it into holes ....

Other folks might wanna be playing with Lubriplate and Plastigauge ...... :rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No accounting for anyone's taste in hobbies .... :D

Some people like to spend their time chasing a little ball around and knocking it into holes ....

Other folks might wanna be playing with Lubriplate and Plastigauge ......

hey tinker away...:D

but this ain't like a backyard hobby we are talkin...
time is very important...
you got a rocker here, a lifter there
and everywhere a ring, ring....:p

get it out, get it in and get it going...;)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
BTW, in the case of the individual with the '08 ..... it was a case of spending 4 or 5 weeks waiting (due to parts availability, lack of) and around $12,000 to have the motor rebuilt/repaired ....

.... versus over $23,000 just for a new V-6 diesel motor alone (not including installation) ....

Hard to imagine that it was really all that much fun ......

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
hey tinker away...
Count on it .... :D

Right now I'm waiting on my oldest to get off the pot and decide whether he wants to spend the money to fix his '04 ...... or whether he wants to commit to purchasing a new truck and making payments for another 4 or 5 years ..... (the latter being what he was really inclined to do, having not alot of mechanical experience ....)

When he called me he wanted to know what the alternatives were to a Sprinter as far as vehicles were (he owns 4 Sprinters currently) ..... for this particular route he doesn't really need a large parcel delivery van .... the route is a country route .... and tends to be low-volume, but high miles .... so he needs something that gets good mileage ....

The Sprinter in question is paid off so he currently has no payment on it, and other than the problem with the turbo the motor still seems real strong. He has spent some significant money on the vehicle in the last year, replacing both the transmission and the rear end.

Repair shop quoted him $5K to replace his EGR, turbocharger, and radiator ....

I spent about 15 minutes checking prices online and calling to verify parts availability and suggested to him that he might wanna suck it up and spend a day or two of his weekend and replace the parts himself .... which would result in him saving at least $2700 (using new parts, possibly more with used) and gaining some badly needed mechanical experience ....

As someone who is spending somewhere between $50K and $75K a year on vehicle maintenance, it would be time well spent, IMHO ....

but this ain't like a backyard hobby we are talkin ... time is very important ...
Undoubtedly it is, but it's always a question of trying to strike a balance between time (or effort) and money .....

Dunno about you, but if I could throw another $25K in my pocket every year, might be worth a little bit of my time and a busted knuckle or two ... :rolleyes:

However I understand that not all folks are similarly motivated .... ;)

aileron

Expert Expediter
Well, I like to mess around with mechanical stuff, and I will do my best to fix it rather than replace it. It happened before that I ended up paying the same in the long run as if I would have replaced it in the first place, but many many more times I saved a bunch of money.
And I feel so much better when I drive something that I fixed myself.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Well, I like to mess around with mechanical stuff, and I will do my best to fix it rather than replace it. It happened before that I ended up paying the same in the long run as if I would have replaced it in the first place, but many many more times I saved a bunch of money.
And I feel so much better when I drive something that I fixed myself.
One never knows when the knowledge, experience, and understanding that is gained in such endeavors will come in handy .... like on some dark night, on the side of a lonely road, out in the middle of nowhere ... ;)

Harley

Expert Expediter
OK fellas here is the latest update. Doktor "A" called me this morning and said he is working on a long block at this time and may have me a price by the end of the week. So that is one option. I found a Dodge dealer on Ebay that has found a way to order a rebuilt long block thru Chrysler. When I called them I was told that there are still some overstock long blocks to be found ya just have to know how to get around the computer system to get to it. MY dealer is now trying to circumvent the system like they did. I even found a guy in Toledo that does rebuilt long blocks on the side as a hobby. Hopefully I will have an engine on the way before the weekend so I can get back to work. Like OVM said, get it in and get it done.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the update !

Looks like you possibly have several options - hope ya get up and running quickly !

Harley

Expert Expediter
OK it's a done deal. My dealer could not get as good a price as I found from a Dodge dealer on Ebay so I went with them and they will ship it directly to my dealer for free. The price was not bad especially since I got the 100,000 mile warranty. All of the external components and ingectors in my engine are still good so that also saved me a lot. Should be shipped out from the warehouse tomorrow so hopefully sometime next week I will be back to making money. Thanks again to all you guys for your insight. By the way, Danthewolf, the guy in Toledo is Wayne Rodd. He advertises on Ebay.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Harley,

Glad to hear you found a solution !

What was the final cost on the engine if you don't mind my asking ?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Final cost of engine, and dealer you got it from. We gotta know both.

Harley

Expert Expediter
The cost was $7695 plus a $2500 core charge which is refunded. The name of the company is Steve White Motors in Hickory, NC. They advertise and sell on Ebayas well as there lot but you can call them directly at 1-800-779-3634 or 1-828-324-4410. This is a Dodge dealership and this long block comes with the 100,000 mile warranty which will be well appreciated.

breeze

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 06 sprinter and thecrank broke at 285000 .I had andy rebuild a short and he put my old head on and we ran 500 miles, put andys super computer on she checked out 100% so on the road again after 5 months waiting .Run along perfect for 75000 and the crank breaks again.Well andys got another one in the works but havent raised the 6000.00 yet. I cant quit but its a pretty tough deal fo me and I also owe 13500 on it. I BOUGHT acheap chevy tryin to keep alive. i changed my oil every 10000 and used the good mobil 1 .The engine was very clean inside and pressure check the head and Iwould run it again.Im really trying to keep liken sprinters but its gettin tougher.MYhats off to OVM FOR his 500000 CONGRAT i would have mine paid for at that time.WELL YALL HAVE A GOOD RIDE.