Paterno should be canned.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You know, it was not all that long ago that some EVIL lying dogs posted a story about an EO member who had been arrested for fighting in a bar while he was up north on a deer hunt. There where some in here who BOUGHT that swill.

I'm shocked - shocked, I tell you, that such a perceptive bunch could be sucked in by gossip.

IF that EO's member's carrier had BELIEVED that swill the INNOCENT member, who WAS a victim of LIES, could have lost HIS job.

If that member lost his job as a result of gossip, he would have had recourse to the law to obtain damages for the slander.

Ruining NOT only HIS life, but his WIFE'S life as well. Worse than losing their business, home, car, etc, their REPUTATIONS would have been destroyed.

Seriously - you think they'd have made the news?!

Those LIES were unproven allegations. NO ONE should be PUNISHED based on allegations ALONE!

Nor should the guilty escape justice because of their own actions [or lack thereof] to cover up the truth. Had any one of the 'men' involved made a police report [as required by law], there would be more than allegations to consider. Should they be exonerated because they failed to report it?

That is REAL life. It HAPPENS.

Ya think?!
I'm thinking of the kids that were raped by a pedophile, and the people who didn't DO ANYTHING TO STOP HIM - and that much, they have admitted.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure we need to know his name at this point.

Sorry my friend I gotta do it to ya..........

images

Read Cheri's post.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Naw, no canning, just close down Penn State football for one season and let the locker rooms air out:eek: No soap dropping gang..........................

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think y'all are missing the point: no one suggested that the child be identified in public, but the facts indicate that not a single dammed one of the grown men who heard about it AT THE TIME made an effort to find out who the child was that had [maybe] just been raped by another grown man. They didn't want to know - knowing would force them to smear the reputation of their beloved university, coach, and game. Finding out whether a child had been injured was not as important to them.
THAT'S where they failed as human beings.

Sorry my friend I gotta do it to ya..........

images

Read Cheri's post.

That's exactly my point. All the adults failed this child, but his name does not and should not be made public.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Penn State fiasco goes from bad to worse. Paterno has been fired effective immediately by the board of trustees in spite of his offer to resign at the end of the season. It's hard to say what's going on internally at that place, but suffice it to say they appear to be the the worst institution ever at handling adversity and crisis. JoePa's biggest mistake was letting the pedophile continue to have access to university facilities after finding out what this guy was doing. The Athletic Director shares the blame equally in this, and of course the buck stops at the desk of the university president. That being the case, they're all gone now and the damage to the great reputation of Penn State is incalculable. Evidently they didn't learn anything from the mistakes of the Catholic Church several years ago dealing with this same problem.

Personally, I can't help but thinking back to the then graduate assistant - Mike McQueary - that was an eyewitness to the act of sodomy by Sandusky several years ago. For those that don't know who he is, if you've ever been to a PSU game or seen them on TV he's the big red headed guy on the sidelines usually close to Paterno. Just guessing, he's probably 6'3" or more and maybe 220 lbs. For him not to have physically intervened in this act of rape is unconscionable, and his failure to stop this crime in progress and report it to the police has resulted in the ruination of the program to which he, Paterno and others have dedicated their lives. As a result of the collective inaction by their leadership the PSU trustees seem to think a total housecleaning is necessary in order to minimize the damage from lawsuits and NCAA penalties, and they're probably right. Unfortunately, it's probably too little too late.

Paterno fired over Penn St. child abuse scandal - CBS News

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The Penn State fiasco goes from bad to worse. Paterno has been fired effective immediately by the board of trustees in spite of his offer to resign at the end of the season.

Thank God they fired him.

I think it just went from really bad to better than that.

Offering to resign at the end of the season was an asinine move and showed me that his contempt for the issue and the victims.

It's hard to say what's going on internally at that place, but suffice it to say they appear to be the the worst institution ever at handling adversity and crisis.

Actually it shows exactly what's going on, they are looking as many of us do beyond the BS of a child's game and the need to maintain someone in a position of authority/face of the college over not just a mistake but a serious breech of a moral and legal obligation. They handled it well, despite the cry babies who think that being a coach with some sort of record of winning a child's game seemed to give him a level of integrity that made him above any doubt that he is important on any issue and immunity from being punished for his inaction of what may turn out to be more than 10 kids being raped and abused.

Remember this -
RAPED and ABUSED.

JoePa's biggest mistake was letting the pedophile continue to have access to university facilities after finding out what this guy was doing.

NOPE his biggest mistake was being arrogant enough to wash his hands of it by not reporting it to the proper authorities WHEN HE KNEW BETTER and I am not talking about campus police but either state or local police to ensure a proper investigation takes place. His idea of protecting his reputation, his job, them game and the university in that order is clear to most who can look beyond the false facade of child's games being played by adults. Furthermore knowing that if it landed in the hands of the campus police, it may not have been investigated properly, seeing they have a vested interest in protecting the university too, the only option is to report it to an outside authority to be investigated so it is done properly.

The Athletic Director shares the blame equally in this, and of course the buck stops at the desk of the university president.

True, but Paterno was the guy in charge of the people who knew about it (what we so far know) and he has an obligation - moral and legal - to report it to the proper authorities, not someone above him. In the course of action the university is doing, they should be stripping them of their pension and any retirement benefit they have or will get.

That being the case, they're all gone now and the damage to the great reputation of Penn State is incalculable.

AND?

Who can give a crap about the reputation (which wasn't that great and didn't mean a thing to the rest of the world) when you have a number of kids who were RAPED and ABUSED

Evidently they didn't learn anything from the mistakes of the Catholic Church several years ago dealing with this same problem.

Actually they learned a lot - fire the people who were part of it, either by not reporting it or following it up and then deal with the mess which was the opposite of the church. They didn't protect this idiot coach nor did they sit there and make excuses, they acted and will continue to act to ensure they do things that will prevent it from happening again.

Personally, I can't help but thinking back to the then graduate assistant - Mike McQueary - that was an eyewitness to the act of sodomy by Sandusky several years ago.

Well he's not much of a man, is he and it seems that many football players on the college level are not either. I bet more knew about this but turned their backs because of one of several reasons - they could no longer play if they got involved, they would not have a chance at professional sports if they reported it or they didn't want to tarnish the reputation of either the coach or the university - all of which doesn't negate the fact that these kids were RAPED and ABUSED

For those that don't know who he is, if you've ever been to a PSU game or seen them on TV he's the big red headed guy on the sidelines usually close to Paterno. Just guessing, he's probably 6'3" or more and maybe 220 lbs.

Who cares?

I don't think it matters and if you noticed, it may indicate your defense over the actions of this guy who deserved to get fired because kids were RAPED and ABUSED on his watch.

For him not to have physically intervened in this act of rape is unconscionable, and his failure to stop this crime in progress and report it to the police has resulted in the ruination of the program to which he, Paterno and others have dedicated their lives.

Well it is something I said before, foot ball isn't about building integrity or anything like that, it is all about the money. So the university which is a public institution, is obligated to follow through to ensure kids don't get RAPED and ABUSED on their campus and Paterno, as much as he may or may not dedicated his life to this child's game, he and others allowed the ruining of other's lives because he lacks the same thing as others do, integrity and understanding that football comes after his moral obligations.

As a result of the collective inaction by their leadership the PSU trustees seem to think a total housecleaning is necessary in order to minimize the damage from lawsuits and NCAA penalties, and they're probably right. Unfortunately, it's probably too little too late.

Well that's a good thing, clean house, fire everyone and bring in a new staff and new policies. Maybe strip Paterno of his retirement and any other benefit he will get for his "retirement" as part of the punishment for refusing to fulfill his moral obligation to the university and to the public that he and others serve. Remember we are not talking about shaving points, fixing games or getting a player out of trouble with a girl or a DUI, we are talking about a number of kids who were under 12 years old and were RAPED and ABUSED on the campus while people knew about it and did nothing to ensure it was stopped.

I hope that one or a couple of the victims come out and sue the crap out of Paterno and the university as others did with the church and take every dime from this old fart who to show that no one person or thing is as important as stopping kids from being RAPED and ABUSED.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think somebody here always got picked last. Unless there was a kid in a wheelchair in the line.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
I think that some here in the soapbox are re-evaluating their opinions of this situation greg and minimizing you in the process.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think that some here in the soapbox are re-evaluating their opinions of this situation greg and minimizing you in the process.

Well you know it doesn't matter to me. The actions of those in power seem to be proper and justified which also placates the doubt raised that this person is more important than the damage to the victims he has caused.

I don't think people get the idea that their defense of the Paterno is rather blind when it comes down to the fact that inactions mean just as much as participation and in this case adding to it comes the 'fan' mentality that he depended on as a defensive tool to finish his career with an intact legacy - how d*mn arrogant can one be?

The students themselves showed me that they are incapable of thinking logically and their concern is not of the crime but the game and the person, making someone like me feel that maybe a good punishment would be to shut their football program down completely for at least two years.

Paterno has shown the world that it does not matter to him what went on, the he, the game and the university are far more important than any one kid that was hurt or abused under his watch.

Too bad for those kids who are messed up for the rest of their lives that he wasn't man enough to report it to the cops.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually it shows exactly what's going on, they are looking as many of us do beyond the BS of a child's game and the need to maintain someone in a position of authority/face of the college over not just a mistake but a serious breech of a moral and legal obligation. They handled it well, despite the cry babies who think that being a coach with some sort of record of winning a child's game seemed to give him a level of integrity that made him above any doubt that he is important on any issue and immunity from being punished for his inaction of what may turn out to be more than 10 kids being raped and abused.
Remember this -
RAPED and ABUSED.
Your attempts to ridicule and trivialize major college sports, their administrators and their participants only tend to diminish the effect of the other points you make that are valid. Tee ball is a child's game; football at the level played at Penn State is a profession, and those who are able to participate at that level as starters are individuals with rare God-given physical talents that must be combined with the mental capacity to make the most of their gifts. But I overstate the obvious - you know all that already.

Now about the RAPE AND ABUSE: for your reading pleasure, here's a link to the grand jury report courtesy of the Washington Post: Jerry Sandusky arrested: Grand jury report - The Washington Post

Notice in the report that about 1/2 of the victims went along with Sandusky's homosexual encounters multiple times over a number of years. These kids were old enough to know what's right and wrong, and they participated in Sandusky's perversions anyway; that doesn't excuse any of that nonsense or make it right. Some of the younger victims made it a point to avoid Sandusky after the first inappropriate contact. My point is that some of these older victims were willing participants in order to continue getting the goodies and perks, and were old enough to know better.

Notice also that with victim 6, Sandusky was reported to the Penn St. campus police who interviewed him, conducted an investigation and even referred the case to the county D.A.
Thus,
both the police and the Centre County D.A.'s office knew about Sandusky's assaults on young boys in 1998 - four years before the infamous shower incident involving Mike McQueary. The county's investigation was dropped at the insistence of the supervisor of campus police. Sandusky had also been caught in the showers with a young kid in 2000 by one of the janitorial staff, who reported it to a supervisor. However, this incident wasn't reported to higher-ups by the janitorial supervisor due to fear of retribution.

Everyone can read this report and decide for themselves where the ultimate blame lies. But IMHO Paterno's culpability looks a little less significant, given the history preceding the shower incident in 2002. It's probably fair to say that everyone on campus and in the county knew this Sandusky guy was a pervert and a child molester and the powers that be allowed him to hang around the university anyway. Paterno, the Athletic Director, the Univ. President, Campus Police and County D.A. - any or all of these people could have insisted he be kicked off campus and prosecuted years ago. Maybe after all this mess is sorted out in court we'll find out why this scumbag was tolerated all those years.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Scapegoat. That's all Paterno is. Ultimately, he is going to be the one to lose the most out of those who knew "something". IMO, he is an old man with a generally good heart, who made a wrong decision, and thus is going under the knife, because the public wants blood.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
So Joepa is now gone....the Board of Directors spoke as a voice of "Reason" and did what "had to be done"...just please don't try to tell me that the Board of Directors did this as some kind of "moral statement".....this was done on the advise of their lawyers ans nothing more. A start of the CYA process...to show that they did something and a way to try and put limits on the payouts that are going to come from the lawsuit...nothing more then self serving.....the only thing that the care about the kids is limiting the payouts...

You want a good comparasion of what happen to Joe, remember the last court seen from the movie "a few good men"...when the 2 Marines were aquitted of wrong doing, but still give dishonorable discharges, the one guy ask why stating "we didn't do anything wrong"...the other Marine said "yes we did, we didn't protect santiago, we didn't protect the innocent".....

Joepa messed up, big.. McQueary was 28 at the time, not a young easily intimated college kid, his failure to help that 10 yo kid was bigger then Joe not moving beyond reporting it to LE....no why anyone gets a pass, but Joes failures pale in comparasion to alot of others, including LE, the DA, and Mike McQueary...Not to give Joe a pass on his failures, But the fact that the DA had this issue before him in 1998 speaks volumes of where the real blame layes.

As for Joe's legacy, this will pass, while he will always have this issue on the list, what he did at PSU not only for football, butfor the whole university including a 10 million dollar library he built with his own money and several other places on campus and the list of peoples lives he has had a hand in molding both as athletes, professionals and just good people in general will come to the the front over time....this issue does not define who Joe Paterno is.....

Brisco

Expert Expediter
The original District Attorney has been missing since 2005. What a mess this whole thing is.

DA Who Never Charged Sandusky Has Been Missing Since 2005 | NBC Philadelphia

Interesting.........

There was a report on one of the news channels last night that said JoePa had brought in over a Billion dollars to the University during his decades long tenure as the Head Coach.

Now this missing DA comes to the forefront again.......

The DA was just "going for a drive" when he disappeared....Car was found next day in a parking lot......Laptop found later in the river missing the harddrive......

This might just get a little more interesting. Might make for a good movie too...... (Al Pacino playing Joe?? :D )

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Chef, I agree. But if you take a look at the victim 6 scenario in the grand jury report Pilgrim posted, you'll see the campus police (ie, LAW ENFORCEMENT) already dropped the ball, er case, 4 years prior, on another kid. There's nothing saying it wouldn't have happened again.

Law enforcement was notified, investigated, slapped his hand and told him never to shower with another boy. END OF INVESTIGATION. They knew they had a pervert here, and decided to let him go. NOT kick him off campus. NOT warn the coach or higher ups. THEY- THE CAMPUS POLICE and the COUNTY DA- gave this predator free reign, as long as he was more discrete.

That disgusts me!