Paterno should be canned.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So far there are ONLY allegations. NO one has been convicted of anything. Before anyone is "canned" should there not be a conviction first? Fire "Pappa Joe" and THEN find out that nothing happened? Deal with what is found as things play out.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
He retired, he can't be canned or fired. I do agree though, he failed miserably as a man of character.

Case in point:
Paterno in his statement referred to his testimony in which he testified that he was informed by an assistant coach in 2002 that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of the team locker room. Prosecutors have said Paterno had passed on the information to athletic director Tim Curley.

Passed on the info to the AD? "Uh, hey......ummmm, I have an eyewitness report of Mr. Sandusky sexually assaulting a student in our locker room shower, uhhhh, could you look into it? Okay, bye. zzzzzzzzzz

And to think, former Ohio State coach Tressel was suspended and fined $250,000 by the university and subsequently resigned because he was a aware of players trading championship rings, jerseys and other football-related awards for tattoos. :rolleyes:

It will be interesting what the NCAA investigations find out about this situation. I do not think it will bode well for ole "Joe Pa".

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Prosecutors have said Paterno had passed on the information to athletic director Tim Curley."

Does this not say that Paterno HAD passed on the information to the next level? How is that failing? Assuming that he DID pass on the information. Then he would likely assume that the "higher authority" had done their job, investigated it and found nothing. Again, at that point there were only allegations.

IF these allegations are found to be true and IF Paterno is found to have done wrong, he should be NAILED to the wall. ONLY IF and when the investigations are complete and ONLY the wrong doers should be punished. NO MATTER WHO THEY MAY BE.

In the Ohio State thing the allegations had been proven. NO punishment without proof or, in the case of criminal activity, conviction.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Oops, my bad, I thought he had stepped down as head coach, so I agree with jaminjim, he should resign.

UncleTed

Not a Member
Why should Paterno resign? He turned the guy in almost 3 years ago. Jerry Sandusky was no longer at the University. We don't have any idea what was going on behind the scenes. If Paterno passed it on, he was probably following the correct chain of command. Paterno's resignation would not change anything.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oops, my bad, I thought he had stepped down as head coach, so I agree with jaminjim, he should resign.
I'll ask you the same question I asked Jim... What should have Paterno done differently?

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Are you people mad? I am glad none of you that think he didn't do anything wrong aren't responsible for my boys.

It's not like it was some random complaint from some obscure person, the eyewitness to the assault was from an assistant coach, Mike McQueary which was a quarterback for Paterno, for God's sakes! Did he think he was lying about the incident? He should've contacted the police, then the AD. (Text edited for offensive language by Layoutshooter)

Last edited by a moderator:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK. But according to the police and the PA attorney general, he did exactly what he was supposed to have done.

Granted, they all might be protecting him, too, and don't want to see the university and Paterno's legacy damaged by going after Paterno (it does seem a little odd that all this would come out just one week after Win #409, and 11 months after Paterno testified, but, hey, coincidences like that do happen).

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Jim Tressel was fired for lying 6 times verbally and in writing the NCAA infraction commitee and the investigators that he didn't know anything about what was being sold and traded or who was involved, when he knew full well what was going on and who was involved long before it came out.....all he would have had to do was "follow the chain of command", as "Joe" did...

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
What should he have done differently? According to the story in the link, he did nothing wrong, legally or morally.
Legally he supposedly did nothing wrong.
jaminjim said:
He may have done what was required by law, but he failed miserably as a man.
A man would have brought in the POS and asked him to explain what had happened, and then at minimum followed up with the proper authorities to insure that it was properly investigated. I don't care how busy or important he is the thing to do was see that people followed thru with the investigation.

UncleTed

Not a Member
Legally he supposedly did nothing wrong.
A man would have brought in the POS and asked him to explain what had happened, and then at minimum followed up with the proper authorities to insure that it was properly investigated. I don't care how busy or important he is the thing to do was see that people followed thru with the investigation.

Does a man follow the rules or not follow the rules? The truth is Joe could have gotten fired for not following the rules just like Dennis said. Personally, I think the guy should have been confronted and dealt with immediately, but then I've spent more than one night in the slammer based on my, shall we say, rudimentary view of justice.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's a lot of politics that goes on at these large state universities. For all we know, Paterno did all he could both formally and behind the scenes. He's not involved with this stuff, either directly or indirectly. Since he was not in a position to fire anyone, all he could have done was to resign in protest from the institution he's dedicated his life to - which would have accomplished nothing.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Since he was not in a position to fire anyone, all he could have done was to resign in protest from the institution he's dedicated his life to - which would have accomplished nothing.
.... other than allowing him to maintain his own personal integrity and honor ......

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Penn State athletic director Tim Curley — Paterno's boss — and senior vice president Gary Schultz have resigned.

Paterno is having his weekly press conference today, If this guy has one ounce of moral fiber, he will be giving his resignation as well.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
.... other than allowing him to maintain his own personal integrity and honor ......
Probably not. If Paterno had just up and resigned, you can bet that someone in the press would have thought to think up the question, "Why"?

Whatever answer he gives, it's either potentially slanderous, or disingenuous, neither of which would preserve or bolster his personal integrity or honor.

"Paterno is having his weekly press conference today, If this guy has one ounce of moral fiber, he will be giving his resignation as well."

Because he failed to take on the additional roles of judge and jury, or that of informant, stemming from a third-party accusation in which he wasn't involved, directly or indirectly? Okie.

Paterno didn't see anything - he was only told about it. If someone came up to me and said, "I just saw Witness out in the back row of the parking lot having sex with a 10 year old boy," should I report that to the police, even if I think it's not true? If Paterno didn't already know about his long-time friend, the sexual predator, then he really had no obligation, legally or morally, to do anything other than what he did.

As was noted in the NY Daily News, "If McQueary, a former football player and grad assistant, saw Sandusky having sex with a 10-year-old in a shower at the Lasch Football Building at Penn State, forget about running to the head football coach. How about throwing Sandusky up against the wall and banging him around a little bit, then calling the police?"

But some will probably get their wish, Paterno will probably be forced out and will resign, even though he did nothing wrong. The Shylocks of society want to exact their pound of flesh (a reference to The Merchant of Venice, a tragic comedy by William Shakespeare).

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm sorry if this ruffles feathers but this is a football coach who has made a living at playing a kids game and nothing more than that - his integrity is as important as that of the guy at the donut shop.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So it's not important for those who work with kids to have integrity? Got it.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If Paterno had just up and resigned, you can bet that someone in the press would have thought to think up the question, "Why"?
What I'm suggesting is that had he done what most men would do (at least the ones that I know) and that is bring the accused and the accuser together and get the whole story, after all they both were under Paterno's control at that time. He should have notified all of the parents of the children that attended the camp. He should have followed up with the campus police to insure that they were doing all they could to get the facts.

Whatever answer he gives, it's either potentially slanderous, or disingenuous, neither of which would preserve or bolster his personal integrity or honor.
Had he done what I touched on his personal integrity and honor would be intact.

Because he failed to take on the additional roles of judge and jury, or that of informant, stemming from a third-party accusation in which he wasn't involved, directly or indirectly?
That would be correct if we were talking about somebody stealing the jock straps from the women's track team, but we are talking about something much more serious.
Dokie.

Paterno didn't see anything - he was only told about it. If someone came up to me and said, "I just saw Witness out in the back row of the parking lot having sex with a 10 year old boy," should I report that to the police, even if I think it's not true?
What if the person that told you was very well known to you and someone that you trusted?
If Paterno didn't already know about his long-time friend, the sexual predator, then he really had no obligation, legally or morally, to do anything other than what he did.
I disagree, at that very minimum he had a moral obligation.

As was noted in the NY Daily News, "If McQueary, a former football player and grad assistant, saw Sandusky having sex with a 10-year-old in a shower at the Lasch Football Building at Penn State, forget about running to the head football coach. How about throwing Sandusky up against the wall and banging him around a little bit, then calling the police?"
The only thing I disagree with is that they should have had to scrape him off the walls in order to find a pulse.

But some will probably get their wish, Paterno will probably be forced out and will resign, even though he did nothing wrong.
Legally, maybe not.(Could Joey have said 'make this go away' to the people he reported it to?) Morally yes he did.
The Shylocks of society want to exact their pound of flesh (a reference to The Merchant of Venice, a tragic comedy by William Shakespeare).
When it deals with children I'll be happy to extract a pound of flesh from molesters.