Owner playing with my pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GatorBait

Three weeks ago I had to drive 748 miles to go to orientation for 1/2 day to learn a Nextal to receive loads. I was stuck in Nogales,AZ for 4 days,stuck in El Paso for 5 days,2 days in Chicago,so I deadheaded home,now at home since last Friday morning,because my owner doesnt want to pay me after being out for 3 weeks.So Monday he called the carrier he is leased with and tells them,NOT ME,that I will be out of service for two days. I called the carrier and they told me this.I'm like WTF? Yesterday I called my owner,he never called me back last night,rather he sends me a text message Tuesday morning that he is with his mother at the hospital...Ok,but where is my settlement? I went to the bank,today....Nothing there yet.......Guess who may be getting their van back? I called the carrier again and notified them what is going on,because they want to know when I'm going back in service. Wow what a professional owner.............I guess its ok to print out a settlement sheet send it to your driver and tease him what you might or might not get paid.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
WTF is right. Why don't you jes go park it, steada wasting yer fingers on the puter? Miss a weeks pay an it's a crisis??? Git agrip, or, a life!!! BTW, orientation, no loads run, jes watca got comming exactly???

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Uncalled for Col.. evidently he ran some loads, he ended up waiting in Nogales, El Paso and Chicago... doesn't he have a right to expect to be paid? I don't care if it's one day or one week.. if an owner doesn't pay .. it IS an issue.

Not everyone gets in with a bankroll driving for a fleet owner... even if he did have reserves... all those days waiting would have ate it up. If you read it.. he stated the owner sent him a settlement sheet.. .just didn't deposit the money.. how many weeks is enough to run for free?

Don't be so quick to jump on someone.

Dale

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
WTF is right. Why don't you jes go park it, steada wasting yer fingers on the puter? Miss a weeks pay an it's a crisis??? Git agrip, or, a life!!! BTW, orientation, no loads run, jes watca got comming exactly???

Calling it a crisis may be a bit strong, but how is anything other than your money being there on payday acceptable? That's how it works, you do your job as agreed and you get paid on payday. Why would it be O.K., with no advance warning or other arrangement agreed upon, for your money not to be there? I've had occasional errors that needed to be corrected on my pay, but I can't think of an occasion when I haven't been paid. That just wouldn't be acceptable.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Uncalled for Col.. evidently he ran some loads, he ended up waiting in Nogales, El Paso and Chicago... doesn't he have a right to expect to be paid? I don't care if it's one day or one week.. if an owner doesn't pay .. it IS an issue.

Not everyone gets in with a bankroll driving for a fleet owner... even if he did have reserves... all those days waiting would have ate it up. If you read it.. he stated the owner sent him a settlement sheet.. .just didn't deposit the money.. how many weeks is enough to run for free?

Don't be so quick to jump on someone.

Dale

Not evident to the way I read it. Didn't see a thing bout running any loads, jes orientation and setting....not quite pay material in my book...unless the driver is hourly or something...then yess I guess there is something due. Reserves?? Do you call funds only to last a week or two on the road reserves??? I truly don't understand the employee mentality...where does it end??

fortwayne

Not a Member
Reading this it does seem like the driver had been out for at least 14-days or so. Thus, unless the guy gets paid a week AFTER the owner gets his settlement, then he is due a pay check.
Now the question is - does the owner get a settlement every week or every two weeks - which when bringing on a new driver the settlements generally take two weeks to start....which in this case would be the situation.
So, my question is since the driver did not tell us, does his contract state he gets paid EVERY WEEK from the day he starts, EVERY WEEK after the second week, or does he get paid every two weeks.
There are some legit reasons on why his money has not got deposted yet and it may all be stated in the contract which he either read or didn't read, he either understood or did not understand.
Then again - it may be the case of another bad owner dragging his pay out, we don't know until we see the contract and the actual payment arrangements.
Lets get the facts first.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
while the Col post was a bit over the top, i went back and re-read the PO, it didn't say a thing about loads.....

and on the same issue, but a bit different....for those reading the original post and feelin the posters pain....if any of you are thinkin that having your own authority is a good deal....you might think about it when you have to wait 30-45-60-and even 90 days or longer to get paid, even when the contract sayes 30 days to pay.......

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, nothing about loads. And it's pretty common for someone to get out of orientation and then head to Nogales, El Paso and then Chicago, just for the Hеll of it.

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
Now i guess the big question is was there any advances he had taken while he was sitting in those places ??? But if he owned money for the runs he did do... Just seems kinda odd that some owner have a problem remembering when pay day is... But if the carrier did that too him they would be throwing a fit wanting to know where there money is... Just seems like a double standard to me.... So if the guy is owed money pay him its real simple

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Yeah, nothing about loads. And it's pretty common for someone to get out of orientation and then head to Nogales, El Paso and then Chicago, just for the Hеll of it.

If OP had not done any loads during this time, why would the OP be a little upset about getting his "Settlement" statement without having his check deposited into his account. OP also wasn't complaining about "deadheads" to all these areas either.

OP never said he sat in all these areas for days without runs, and I take it he had to sit all those days after taking runs to sat in areas.

Simple post from OP. He's a little ticked because Van Owner sent him statement saying how much he made but yet never deposited earned money into OP's bank account. Then used the "checks in the mail" (Mother is in hospital) excuse when asked why check was not deposited.

I don't understand why the Van "Owner" placed the Van OOS with the carrier though unless a personal issue came up with the OP and the Van owner himself.

Post following original OP's post WAS uncalled for, period, flat out, end of story.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
....if any of you are thinkin that having your own authority is a good deal....you might think about it when you have to wait 30-45-60-and even 90 days or longer to get paid, even when the contract sayes 30 days to pay.......

You didn't bring up the issue of when you don't get paid at all for runs you did when you're out there on your own, of which will happen every now and then. Sure, the final outcome may be a "Judgement" against the Customer, Broker, Carrier, or whoever, but "Judgements" do not pay your bills at all.

.....and this is something that seriously needs to be taken into consideration before getting out on your own with your authority.

One might want to consider the "Reserves" he had in place when he first signed on with "ABC" Expedite, how long those reserves lasted until money started to be made, and then multiply those past financial experiences by at least 10. In other words, if you did OK with a $1,000 reserve when you first got behind the wheel of that CV and that $1,000 got you through OK until the money started coming in, then you need to have at least $10,000 in reserves when you try to get out on your own.

Great issue brought up there CD.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For the sarcastically challenged, I'll repeat my comments with the appropriately slathered sarcastic snort at the end.

Yeah, nothing about loads. And it's pretty common for someone to get out of orientation and then head to Nogales, El Paso and then Chicago, just for the Hеll of it. <snort>

You see, to me, it is plainly evident that he did not drive to these places for the Hеll of it, and did so because he had paying loads which took him there. In addition, equally plainly evident to me, these were very likely loads for which he is due compensation, since there is little reason to send a driver a zero dollars settlement sheet and the owner sent him a settlement sheet in what amounted to a tease showing him monies due, but for reasons unknown, were not paid to the driver.

I'll try to be a little less subtle in my sarcasm, and a little more verbose and wordy with my explanations in the future.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
For the sarcastically challenged, I'll repeat my comments with the appropriately slathered sarcastic snort at the end.

Yeah, nothing about loads. And it's pretty common for someone to get out of orientation and then head to Nogales, El Paso and then Chicago, just for the Hеll of it. <snort>

You see, to me, it is plainly evident that he did not drive to these places for the Hеll of it, and did so because he had paying loads which took him there. In addition, equally plainly evident to me, these were very likely loads for which he is due compensation, since there is little reason to send a driver a zero dollars settlement sheet and the owner sent him a settlement sheet in what amounted to a tease showing him monies due, but for reasons unknown, were not paid to the driver.

I'll try to be a little less subtle in my sarcasm, and a little more verbose and wordy with my explanations in the future.

Aw, c'mon, Turtle. You must know that sarcasm requires a special font. :p

It's the "sarcasm font." 12pt.

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
I thought all of Turtle's comments were sarcastic???
You mean to tell me that I have to re-learn everything all over again then again??? I'm so lost and confused.......I wonder if Gatorbait had a contract and what was all in it. We need a People's Court>>>EO style:D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Excellent ! :D ..... glad you have seen the light ... just remember:

When subtlety doesn't work, try blunt-force trauma instead .. :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Turtles snort?

Who knew?

Turtles do more than snort, they can be very foul animals. They almost never use toilets. They do not ever clean up after themselves and they bite. LOL!! I don't think I would ever want to be a turtle. They are very good when made into soup.

Keep that in mind when in Michigan, Turtle. There a many places around where I live that serve turtle soup. I would not like to see you end up as someone's dinner!!! Might want to use a different name when around the Monroe area!! Just to be safe!! LOL!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.