old conway-now drivers

greg334

Veteran Expediter
lets make this number 100 post

All I know is that Panther is growing and the ad is annoying.

now my worthless comment is finished.

panthervanman

Seasoned Expediter
ive been with panther for almost 8yrs now and i cant tell u who the heck scoot is or anyone else there the owner could come up and kick me in the butt and i wouldn't even know who it was. i get loads on my cell or qc and never talk to anyone unless i have a problem that needs help on(trk break down ,payroll,shipper doesnt have the load,ect..ect) why is it that everyone seems to so unhappy doing a job that is so easy???? when ever there was aproblem with my check i called in and they gave me my money on my next check.in 7 plus years ive been in the office about 5 to 7 times when im there know one even knows who i am. i worked in sales for 22 yrs before this all you people that are crying would never make it in sales.maybe the best thing for you would be to try and find freight on your own. i talked to alot of conway drivers before the buy out and they all had some thing that they didnt like about conway but now that conway couldnt make it out there you all act like they where so great theyre gone get over it move on pick yourself up and make the best out of whats in front of you. when i signed on nobody gave me any bonus or special contract,just do what you are beening paid for and dry those tears. ive been around some people that get on the phone with dispatch nad yell at the top of their lungs,why would anyone want to put up with that if i was them i would put you on hold every time you called in. i got to belive that these driver are far and few between.they are the ones at the truck stops that you kind of just walk away from.if anyone that is with panther now or plans on being with them needs any help please ask any driver thats been there for awhile or if u want you can email me @ [email protected] and i will try and help u,I only get to use my computer when im home but i try and get home every week end good luck and give what ever you do in life a chance not everything goes right all the time every time and remember be safe out there jim

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Wow, Panther bashing at it's best. We have been with Panther for 1.5 years. Not every day has been roses, but most days I am glad we made the choice we did, and glad we are still at Panther. I have heard little mentioned about the economy and expedited freight in general.....the analysts that get paid the big bucks to forcast our industry trends and tonnage have even been surprised by this quarter, not just Panther's freight but all expedited freight. The majority of people at Panther work their hearts out to make it a better organization. I suggest some of you pick up the book "Who moved my cheese" and figure out how to deal with change as an every day occurrance.

As to Scott Taylor, Yes I have had issues with Scott at times, but most of the time he has been ok to deal with. He is extremely protective of Panther's reputation and what is said publicly....but, I would rather have someone I work with have pride than not to care. Does he express himself here as he truly is? No....but then I hope that what I hear some of you saying is not truly how you are either. Any relationship is a 2 way street.....if you do your part and still the relationship is not how you would have it, then it may be time to take further action. If you let one person determine your success, then shame on you.

I have met many of the new people from Conway, some have left and some have stayed. I have talked with fed ex owners that are thinking of leaving....I have talked with Panther owners that have stayed and left.....is any one company really so much better than another....no...it comes down to what works for you. If it is not working then leave, but understand that because it does not work for you, does not mean it is that way for all. I would not have the same experience at a company that you do, and vice versa.

Panther provides an amazing opportunity with a really great group of support people. What you do with that opportunity is entirely up to you.

-Charlotte

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
OK PII drivers, keep supporting the company that is lowering rates by forcing a monopoly on the industry, then complain about pay. Not only that the cat is known for lousy customer service and management that cheats and threatens its drivers and owners, like the above mentioned Perrysburg fleet owner, who along with his boys, is well known in the business and has been around for years. Plus they have way too many trucks for the freight that is out there.

But keep supporting them.

PII is ruining the industry. and your all allowing them to.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am sorry, but I have to disagree. Does Panther have a monopoly on freight? Not even close. Looking at any expedite load board will tell you that. You have a very limited exposure to the industry or you wouldn't have made that comment. Your implication that Panther is cheating and threatening owners. Again, not anywhere close to reality. I can assure you that if I was threatened by any company, it would be posted here the next day. You may have had a bad experience with Panther for whatever reason, but don't distort the facts.
With regards to rates, there are available discount runs. You don't have to take them, and there is no penalty for a refusal.
Lastly, if you are worried about the industry rates as you claim, then the small independent drivers hauling freight for pennies on the dollar are your biggest threat, rather than Panther or another carrier.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Rikk

Expert Expediter
Dave I'm going to scare you :)

I agree with you on P2 not monopolizing the industry. Heck, I have carried frieght for P2 since I left that they posted, AND it was a fairly good load. I am also running almost 1 load after another, so the freight is there. It just depends on how it is handled in the bidding process on the board.

However, I do have to agree with Roadpig and others. P2 does infact bully their (maybe not all) drivers. I have posted a few situations that happened to me.

Granted P2 has a high turnover rate as stated by Scott, and it is understandable why. But P2 NEEDS to learn to work with the drivers, not that they don't now but some of the so called problem drivers are good producers but are taken as problems by the dispatcher. Can you imagine a driver haveing an argument with Scott? Just from his posts here I can see strings under the desk being pulled.

Also, when I visited the office, I heard the Con-Way drivers being refered to as "F-troop" to think that up a week after the buyout tells many stories of it's own.

As I stated before, some can work being treated like a simple employee, ad some just are not cut out for it.

Hasta

Rikk

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Davekc They are not small independent drivers. They are small carriers that are independent and I do not believe they are hauling for pennies on the dollar.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I KNOW we are not moving freight for pennies on the $$.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I should clarify. It was a figure of speech. What I was referring to is loads being hauled at low rates. I seen loads going out of Laredo TX last week for 40 and 50 cents per mile.
Most of these were by smaller carriers or independant drivers with their own authority that I have never heard of.
And no, it doesn't mean all small carriers are hauling at these rates. I just think they are a bigger threat than larger companies with regards to lower rates.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Andi

Seasoned Expediter
Rikk
The "F Troup" is not a bad reference.

The drivers are separated into dispatch teams, so that they are able to get to know thier dispatchers and build a relationship so that things like this do not happen.

They are separated into 6-7 different groups, each one labled with a letter of the alphabet. There is no counter reference to this, nothing is ment negative by it. It is so that everyone can have people they can work with and know, and build trust and a good working relationship on both sides.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
Where is your sense of humor? After being told that the former Con-Way Now drivers were in the F-Team I called in and referred to myself as the F-Troop. No one there got the joke because all the dispatchers were not even born when the show was on TV. Personally I liked the show and having a little humor never hurts anyone.
As for talking to the dispatchers all the time. When the QC says call, I do. The phone system is the epitome of dysfunctional and I can’t believe it takes this long to fix.
(If no one is in charge of the "fix the phones department", maybe the department that’s in charge of sending birthday cards could get on it, they seem to know how to get things done, my hubby got a birthday card from Panther and we hadn’t even been with them 3 weeks).
I find the dispatchers, for the most part, are kind and willing to help if they can. Sometimes I have to consider the fact that most of these kids haven’t been on this earth as long as I’ve been married. (e.g.: Constantly sending QC messages telling me I have stopped, while I’m driving down the road, trying to get a load delivered on time, and my co-driver is trying to sleep so he can take over driving on his shift. Who do they think can answer them w/out stopping?)
I’ve found that where you are is where you’re at, and what you do with it is up to you. We have our days when we’d like to wring someone’s neck and we both consider the person riding in the truck with us as a good candidate because that is who is closest. But when the going gets tough I like to remember what my old boss used to tell me, “Suck it up, and drive on";-)

whitechocolet

Seasoned Expediter
OK, where is your sense of humor?
bludragon is my hubby and I forgot to log out and log back in as whitechocolet. This message is really from me "whitechocolet" (yes I know -ate is the correct way to spell chocolate).

Where is your sense of humor? After being told that the former Con-Way Now drivers were in the F-Team I called in and referred to myself as the F-Troop. No one there got the joke because all the dispatchers were not even born when the show was on TV. Personally I liked the show and having a little humor never hurts anyone.
As for talking to the dispatchers all the time. When the QC says call, I do. The phone system is the epitome of dysfunctional and I can’t believe it takes this long to fix.
(If no one is in charge of the "fix the phones department", maybe the department that’s in charge of sending birthday cards could get on it, they seem to know how to get things done, my hubby got a birthday card from Panther and we hadn’t even been with them 3 weeks).
I find the dispatchers, for the most part, are kind and willing to help if they can. Sometimes I have to consider the fact that most of these kids haven’t been on this earth as long as I’ve been married. (e.g.: Constantly sending QC messages telling me I have stopped, while I’m driving down the road, trying to get a load delivered on time, and my co-driver is trying to sleep so he can take over driving on his shift. Who do they think can answer them w/out stopping?)
I’ve found that where you are is where you’re at, and what you do with it is up to you. We have our days when we’d like to wring someone’s neck and we both consider the person riding in the truck with us as a good candidate because that is who is closest. But when the going gets tough I like to remember what my old boss used to tell me, “Suck it up, and drive on";-)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
From what I've heard, a lot of NLM freight is turning into cheap freight. I wouldn't be surprised Tom R. gets what he can to get out of Laredo, or likewise areas; because once his trucks are back in the zone, he can get a great paying load back to Laredo. If Steve is on soon, maybe he can clarify this.

I would hate to have to haul cheap freight out of a bad area, but it does beat sitting for a week or two. Meanwhile, I'd be back in the zone and that cheap run is forgotten. On the other hand, all it's doing is supporting cheap freight. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
Now that you mention the "bad area" thing, if I am not mistaken, there was something said about that when he and I spoke. I wasn't trying to cut on Tom. I was just really surprised about his take on it(cheap freight). It has been over a year since I spoke with him about it so maybe my memory is a little weak as to what was exactly said. Like I say, I was just surprised, and I think most people would be, about how he responded.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
Its only cheep freight when your company takes 30-40% of the gross. In addition to my trucks at FCC I have several that I operate under my own authority and I can and will take what you think is cheep freight but in reality when i'm not paying for sales people, a large advertising campaign, middle managers that no one really knows what they do and large buildings; freight from places like NLM and Premium Freight Management is very good paying freight for my company.

thunderhorse

Expert Expediter
MY,MY MY...some things really NEVER do change.Scott and other kind and understanding people JUST like him are the reason I left Panther many moons ago.all i can say is that SCOTT , YOU ARE JUST TOO BRILLIANT FOR US MERE MORTALS.do yourself (AND US) a favor and find a life.

thunderhorse

Expert Expediter
Scott, quit the b.s. panther DOES take drivers out of service for load refusal. ALSO, my in service time was low for a period of time due to my WIFES CANCER TESTING.I RECEIVED NUMEROUS PAGES AND PHONE CALLS AND WAS TAKEN OUT OF SERVICE FOR THIS ALSO.I WAS ALSO UNDER "CLOSE WATCH" WITH SOME WAGE SLAVE IN THE PANTHER OFFICE.i know, PANTHER is in business to make money Scott.good for Panther and good riddence to panther AND you....P.S. i know, we are all lying and bitter disgruntled failures.there...i saved you the posting.