Obama just won...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where is there a "right" to lazily push one button instead of purposely and with thought pushing the button for each candidate? There isn't any. That's not taking away any right. That's just more foolishness. There hasn't been an election yet where the best choice through the entire ballot didn't include two, or more, parties. Anyone using their intelligence and not voting their feelings or stamping their foot making a statement like twelve year olds do knows that and finds the best choice in each race across the party lines.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just my honest feeling. One of the problems and its major i have with some of the 3rd party types is this. Often their speech leads me to believe that it isn't as much electing their candidate that matters. It comes off more as a Im right your wrong so i am going to do anything i can to screw your party up. I like the ideas of the candidates more than the attitude of some who support them. They seem to relish in ones defeat simply because what they felt was right got soundly rejected by the masses. Its like a child throwing a tantrum until he gets the toy they wanted.

It turns me off to the point of not supporting them. So in the end like the extreme in the democratic or republican party drive people from their ranks the 3rd parties have those who keep people away from supporting their candidate.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
To win at a national level it is apparent they will have to do quite a bit more than that.
Indeed ... the GOP has much work ahead of it ... the first order of business ought to be eschew delusion and come on back to the reality that the rest of us inhabit ...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Where is there a "right" to lazily push one button instead of purposely and with thought pushing the button for each candidate? There isn't any. That's not taking away any right. That's just more foolishness. There hasn't been an election yet where the best choice through the entire ballot didn't include two, or more, parties. Anyone using their intelligence and not voting their feelings or stamping their foot making a statement like twelve year olds do knows that and finds the best choice in each race across the party lines.

Ok, you're right about it not being a right. It's a convenience, that if used, unclutters the lines to the voting booth.

Oh... and you're still being anal.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Indeed ... the GOP has much work ahead of it ... the first order of business ought to be eschew delusion and come on back to the reality that the rest of us inhabit ...

Enlighten me. What do you think that "reality" is? I hope it isn't just more "free stuff".
I want to hear your definition. Not what you think may be wrong with mine.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, you're right about it not being a right. It's a convenience, that if used, unclutters the lines to the voting booth.

Oh... and you're still being anal.

the whole electronic voting is never going to work for the people. As long as it is electronic the establishment will control what happens. How do we fix the problem and take the doubt away that the us citizens vote will be counted correctly? its very easy, the answer is a paper ballot, If there is any question there was fraud, with the paper ballot you have a receipt and can go back to the grass roots to double check the votes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by davekc

Enlighten me. What do you think that "reality" is?

Not worth the T&E ...
It's a fair question. I'd like to read the answer, too. I think it might be interesting on several levels. :)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I feel better now. We just had 4 years. Now we have a history to look back on and plenty of videos for me to add to my collection, just so we don't have any errors and make bad quotes as to who said what....................cheese.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It's a fair question. I'd like to read the answer, too. I think it might be interesting on several levels. :)

Rlent's response was expected. That is why I poised the question. It is too easy to "take the T & E" to be critical of others yet can't explain his own. But of course, maybe he will change his mind and enlighten us all.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Rlent's response was expected. That is why I poised the question. It is too easy to "take the T & E" to be critical of others yet can't explain his own.
Oh, I can explain it ... it's just that it's been my experience that you (in particular) tend to be somewhat resistant to considering alternatives.

I will throw you a bone however (try not to break your teeth while gnawing on it): It is certainly true that one is likely to get more of what one rewards (non-production), and less of what penalizes (production)

In terms of embracing the above premise, you are not wrong - but to believe that this premise tells entire story is largely simplistic ... and willingly ignores a variety of other things which are components of the total equation.

The manner in which one communicates and addresses certain matters can have an effect on the recipients (intended recipients or others) of the communication - something that I'm sure you're well aware of - just in terms of my communication to you.

IOW, I can construct/formulate and deliver my communication in such a manner that you will be inclined to either accept it or reject it - regardless of the content or actual substance.

There might just be a larger lesson in that, that the GOP, and those that comprise it could benefit from.

Sitting around talking about "gimme-goobers" while entirely self-validating, ain't gonna win ya any converts that ya haven't already got ... and to the extent that sort of thing (on any issue) takes place on the national stage, often in a hyperbolic or hysterically exaggerated manner (on Fox News as but one example, one which is considered to be a representation of the Right and the GOP) it causes an outright rejection (talk to the hand), before one can even establish an actual conversation, to get to the finer merits of the argument.

But of course, maybe he will change his mind and enlighten us all.
Beyond the above, it's not real likely - enlightenment is something is probably best achieved on one's own self-determinism and through study of the particular matter in question - as opposed to having to be beaten over the head.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
LDB, I voted a straight Republican ticket. So, apparently I escape your wrath since I didn't vote third-party or write in. The difference though,is exactly the same as if I had written in my own name for president and Lester A. Tweevls as my running mate. The reason for that is that I live and vote in Illinois, which turned in a convincing majority for Obama. That's to be expected because Chicago is overwhelmingly Blue and will tip the entire state toward the Democratic side of the aisle every election. It's "Winner Take All" as far as the electoral college, so--- my vote for Romney was just as useless as a vote for Daffy Duck would have been. First guy past the post gets the whole pot, and you know Obama was gonna win Illinois.

You might want to ease up a might on blaming third-party voters for the loss. The Republicans chose a candidate that was marginal at best, and if he had managed to win would have been a marginal president at best. Maybe a couple of points better than what we have now, but he never would have led us into the Promised Land regardless of the propaganda on the table.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LDB, I voted a straight Republican ticket. So, apparently I escape your wrath since I didn't vote third-party or write in. The difference though,is exactly the same as if I had written in my own name for president and Lester A. Tweevls as my running mate. The reason for that is that I live and vote in Illinois, which turned in a convincing majority for Obama. That's to be expected because Chicago is overwhelmingly Blue and will tip the entire state toward the Democratic side of the aisle every election. It's "Winner Take All" as far as the electoral college, so--- my vote for Romney was just as useless as a vote for Daffy Duck would have been. First guy past the post gets the whole pot, and you know Obama was gonna win Illinois.

You might want to ease up a might on blaming third-party voters for the loss. The Republicans chose a candidate that was marginal at best, and if he had managed to win would have been a marginal president at best. Maybe a couple of points better than what we have now, but he never would have led us into the Promised Land regardless of the propaganda on the table.

Illinois history shows it vacillates between red and blue.

Illinois became a state in December 1818. Largely Republican from the Civil War through the 1920s, the state voted Democratic throughout the Great Depression and World War II, then returned to the Republicans for eight out of 10 elections from 1952 through 1988. Illinois has voted Democratic in the last five elections.

Just an FYI.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No one person will ever lead the country to the promised land. No one not even third party will be able to make massive changes in one or two terms within the rule of law. We didn't get where we are fast and we art getting out of it fast.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't believe there should be a straight party option regardless of party. You didn't waste your vote so that's a good thing but it's still true that third party and write in voters wasted their vote and threw it away on an absolute guaranteed losing candidate. Worse still, there is every possibility that doing so changes the outcome of the election, if not this time certainly often. That said, as much as I regret the absolute stupidity of those who foolishly wasted their privilege of voting, I still support their right to be dumber than dirt morons. It is, after all, their right just as it's mine to not be a moron and to not waste my vote by throwing it away on a feel good foolish vote.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Oh, I can explain it ... it's just that it's been my experience that you (in particular) tend to be somewhat resistant to considering alternatives.
That's funny but a trait we seem to share.

I will throw you a bone however (try not to break your teeth while gnawing on it): It is certainly true that one is likely to get more of what one rewards (non-production), and less of what penalizes (production)
Well maybe.
In terms of embracing the above premise, you are not wrong - but to believe that this premise tells entire story is largely simplistic ... and willingly ignores a variety of other things which are components of the total equation.

What have I "willingly" ignored? This should be good.
The manner in which one communicates and addresses certain matters can have an effect on the recipients (intended recipients or others) of the communication - something that I'm sure you're well aware of - just in terms of my communication to you.

IOW, I can construct/formulate and deliver my communication in such a manner that you will be inclined to either accept it or reject it - regardless of the content or actual substance.
I may or may not.
There might just be a larger lesson in that, that the GOP, and those that comprise it could benefit from.

Sitting around talking about "gimme-goobers" while entirely self-validating, ain't gonna win ya any converts that ya haven't already got ... and to the extent that sort of thing (on any issue) takes place on the national stage, often in a hyperbolic or hysterically exaggerated manner (on Fox News as but one example, one which is considered to be a representation of the Right and the GOP) it causes an outright rejection (talk to the hand), before one can even establish an actual conversation, to get to the finer merits of the argument.
I'll give you a pass on this one since you been absent. I don't believe the "gimmie goobers" was the whole issue with the Romney loss and never stated that. But is a component. But clearly, there were other factors.

Beyond the above, it's not real likely - enlightenment is something is probably best achieved on one's own self-determinism and through study of the particular matter in question - as opposed to having to be beaten over the head.
A point that we can agree on.;)

Last edited: