New NJ Ice law goes in effect.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Yet another reason not to go to the east coast.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums

I agree, the east coast is becoming a joke. I called one time about a load for our tractor and the guy wanted to pay .78 a mile coming out of New Jersey. I was like I wouldn't start my truck up for a load like that. He was like, this is NJ and all the freight is cheap coming out of here. I said well, find some other sucker to move your cheap freight and hung up the phone.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
But substituting one danger for another is EXACTLY what the law will do, because truckers will get hurt trying to clear the snow themselves, as they have no reasonable alternatives.
Eddie's deicing sounds good - but when I triggered the height sensor on the tp, the truck had been parked for the weekend [in Strongsville] and I was entering the tp just 3 miles away to pickup a load - going to a truckstop for snow clearance would have added 35-40 miles that I didn't have time for....:(

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I was thinking that this could become a wintertime opportunity for the truck stop wheel polishers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well they have roof melters ya know....like the ones they put along the trough line on your roof at home.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What are the odds of sitting in Jersey that long to accumulate anything worthwhile?....It is not like they are talking a dusting of powder snow...Me thinks you guys are getting a little carried away...:rolleyes:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
What are the odds of sitting in Jersey that long to accumulate anything worthwhile?....It is not like they are talking a dusting of powder snow...Me thinks you guys are getting a little carried away...:rolleyes:

Excuse me, El Vanno! One can carry this stuff for miles and the longer it's on there, the more "packed" it becomes. Last winter I followed a tractor-trailer that had a solid square of ice/snow packed on the top of his truck that had slid slightly off the side and was just waiting there for a good jolt so it could fall. Cars and trucks didn't even want to pass him for fear they would be the ones to "catch" it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What are the odds of sitting in Jersey that long to accumulate anything worthwhile?....

Odds are pretty high for those who live in & around NJ.

It is not like they are talking a dusting of powder snow...Me thinks you guys are getting a little carried away...:rolleyes:

While we think the law is getting carried away by ticketing drivers for a condition they have no way to remedy - read the article in the link I found, it's an eye opener!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excuse me, El Vanno! One can carry this stuff for miles and the longer it's on there, the more "packed" it becomes. Last winter I followed a tractor-trailer that had a solid square of ice/snow packed on the top of his truck that had slid slightly off the side and was just waiting there for a good jolt so it could fall. Cars and trucks didn't even want to pass him for fear they would be the ones to "catch" it.

Hey watch the name calling ...:p...

these trailers sit for weeks and months and can get really piled up on.....companies/drivers should refuse to take them out..the same as they would do with an unsafe truck...

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I'm thinking the best remedy is something along what OVM is on to here with heat blankets or heat strips. Lining the inside of roof with some sort of heat strip/blankets should stop most build up (or at least make it easy to slid off with a few panic stops in the truck stop) Not sure about how much voltage would be needed or if the trucks without generators could produce it..Maybe Turtle could figure something like that out???
But in my opinion heat from the inside is the way to go if your going to operate over there. And keeping the weight off will save fuel no matter where ya run.

I don't like the idea of the drive thru scrapers,with my luck a chunk of ice will damage the roof top.Roof leaks can be a constant battle anyways once they start.

Or another solution like a few have said already,,just avoid the areas for a few months,, let them come inland to get their grocery's,parts and anything else shipped in by trucks. Or let em wait at the railhead for the freight trains since the new law doesn't seem to cover the R/Roads.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

these trailers sit for weeks and months and can get really piled up on.....companies/drivers should refuse to take them out..the same as they would do with an unsafe truck...

After years and years of name calling you're going to try and make me stop now??? :rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Agreed. But what should an expediter do if their truck has accumulated several inches of snow over a few hours, sitting at WalMart? Or a weekend at home?
Personally, I'm staying out of NJ, but I'm also concerned the law will spread, as anti idling laws have. Then what? Because the HOS demonstrate clearly that officials don't care if we have any way to comply [parking, for example] they'll just keep writing tickets if we don't.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Agreed. But what should an expediter do if their truck has accumulated several inches of snow over a few hours, sitting at WalMart? Or a weekend at home?
Personally, I'm staying out of NJ, but I'm also concerned the law will spread, as anti idling laws have. Then what? Because the HOS demonstrate clearly that officials don't care if we have any way to comply [parking, for example] they'll just keep writing tickets if we don't.

Truckers are cash cows. That is, for the most part, the only reason they write the regulations as they do. It all about revenue, not safety.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Of course not there, Yoda....:D

10-4 Jabba.........

images

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Very simple. If you have ice on your roof, simply drive thru NYC or Phili, and hit every pothole you can. Problem solved by the time you get to Jersey. :D