New NJ Ice law goes in effect.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I was talking to Wombat and he was telling me about this crazy law that is going into effect in New Jersey. Here is a link to read about the new law.

N.J. law mandating ice, snow removal from vehicles goes into effect Wednesday | NJ.com

Here is another link.

PTC Challenge: Snow Storm

I agree that it's very dangerous to drive around with that stuff up there just waiting to hurt someone but has anyone come up with a way to get the snow and ice off the top of your truck?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I drove t/t, I triggered the overheight alarm while entering the Ohio turnpike - the attendant told me to drive through, u turn, drive through the other side, [knocking snow off with each pass] u turn again, and come through a second time. It worked, but it's hardly a reasonable solution, lol.
There really isn't a method that's easily accessible, but HOW we do the impossible isn't their concern - just do it, right?:mad:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The fine for cars is 25-75 dollars but for a CMV is 500 to 1500 dollars.
A car can easily be cleaned, but cleaning ice and snow off a truck is dangerous. How is a driver supposed to safely accomplish this?
Where is OOIDA on this?
Maybe if we all stopped going into these states that enact stupid laws they would stop.
Sounds like another money grab to me.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Let's see,can't idle diesel engine's,including your apu. Must clear off snow and now ice. What's next fine's for delivering freight?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
that law was in effect last year.Dont Idle,Ijust paid 300 bucks,only was idleing less than 5 mins,was charging battery.Excuse wasnt good

BigWheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Here's the catch also,say you do get most the snow off and you have a couple of small patches left and you get a small dusting coming off, what amount is acceptable. The fines are seriously 500 to 1500 for cmv ? Ridiculous!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree that it's very dangerous to drive around with that stuff up there just waiting to hurt someone but has anyone come up with a way to get the snow and ice off the top of your truck?

Haven't you passed the UPS yard on 294 in Chicago many times?...They have a scrapper, trucks pass under that, takes most of the snow within a couple inches....

An enterprising person could easily set one up entering Jersey and make a killing...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Haven't you passed the UPS yard on 294 in Chicago many times?...They have a scrapper, trucks pass under that, takes most of the snow within a couple inches....

An enterprising person could easily set one up entering Jersey and make a killing...

The enterprising person could not get the needed zoning. This is all about revenue, nothing else. Truckers are a "target", a "cash cow", nothing more.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The snow and ice build up happens where? Truck stops, and rest area's. Back in my "other life", we use to de-ice aircraft out on the ramp before take off. In Denver we had a de-icing pad, aircraft would pull up to these spots kill the engines and get de-iced. All de-icing fluid was reclaimed and re-used, we made a killing off of that service. Maybe truck stops could open something like that...... Some truck washes could make one bay into a de-icing bay. Who wash's their truck when it's snowing? New line of business for down time for truck wash places.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The snow and ice build up happens where? Truck stops, and rest area's. Back in my "other life", we use to de-ice aircraft out on the ramp before take off. In Denver we had a de-icing pad, aircraft would pull up to these spots kill the engines and get de-iced. All de-icing fluid was reclaimed and re-used, we made a killing off of that service. Maybe truck stops could open something like that...... Some truck washes could make one bay into a de-icing bay. Who wash's their truck when it's snowing? New line of business for down time for truck wash places.

Can you imagine the cost? What about the long lines? This law could add hours to a run.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you imagine the cost? What about the long lines? This law could add hours to a run.

Cost wouldn't be that much, reclaim tanks, filters, heaters, and a storage tank. Wash bays already have the overhead sparyers. Haven't done an analysis on it, but it did not delay flights. For that matter, you can de-ice a truck using hot water, just get the metal hot enough to keep it from icing back up. Five min in the bay and you're out of there. Cost there would be heating the water, no need to re-claim anthing or have storage tanks, de-icing fluid, filters or re-claim tanks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cost wouldn't be that much, reclaim tanks, filters, heaters, and a storage tank. Wash bays already have the overhead sparyers. Haven't done an analysis on it, but it did not delay flights. For that matter, you can de-ice a truck using hot water, just get the metal hot enough to keep it from icing back up. Five min in the bay and you're out of there. Cost there would be heating the water, no need to re-claim anthing or have storage tanks, de-icing fluid, filters or re-claim tanks.

It will be interesting to see just how much this is going to cost us. The time factor will be a big problem. A heavy snow storm, a truck lot with a hundred trucks or so, 5-10 minutes per truck assuming nothing messes up. No idling in the line, drivers cold.

The scrapers you see at UPS or Fedex won't work very well. There hare far too many different truck heights to deal with.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
How about avoiding NJ as much as possible.
No fuel tax money, no sales at trucks stops, not toll money, etc.
Maybe they will stop enacting stupid laws.
There are several trucker unfriendly states where I will make no purchases while passing through. My personal protest to stupid laws.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
$500-1500 isn't enough. It should be...

DrEvil.jpg

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One could just stay OOS and go fishing.......ooooo can Layout say stealheads, Kings and Coho?????

Attachments

• go fish.jpg
    go fish.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 16

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Yet another reason not to go to the east coast.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Considering if you are running into the state the snow doesn't build up at speed...

“This is, quite simply, a public safety initiative. ... It doesn’t apply, for instance, to snow and ice that accumulates during a storm. We’re not substituting one dangerous practice for another by requiring drivers to pull over to clean the vehicle if the driver doesn’t find it necessary for visibility. We’re just asking people to do the right thing before they hit the road.”

Last edited: