Need opinion of exp.expeditors.

rpack41

Expert Expediter
I placed an team avalible ad and have been overwhelm with phone calls and emails.
We are a very experienced H/W team.17 years. We have been on Big trucks. No small expedite truck but think we would really like to do this.
All owners who I have had contact with (per ad) their selling point has been the adminities that their truck contains.
Why is this so important to them? They will talk "what the truck contains" before miles, money, equipment status or our qualifications.
This worries me.
Also, I have been thinking about going with an owner that has his trucks leased to Panther. Any comments on Panther is welcome. I need some guidence here . Thank You, Rose

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
No one can promise miles the reason they talk about the truck is because in this field you sit a lot so comfort is very important.

rpack41

Expert Expediter
ok, I see.
We were told by an owner we will make $120,000 ayear driving his truck. (Panther)Whatcha think? rose

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think I'd want to see some documentation of that, and also I'd want to talk to some other current or former drivers of his, too.

R

rangell218

as in any truck the things inside that will help you stay comfortable and happy, and driving when your sitting for sometimes days are things good to have but when an owner tells you how much your going to make I would look for a new owner because everyday frieght changes one week you run good the next you are sitting in the middle of nowhere not making anything, every owner talks about the things in the truck which is a sales techinque and research everything about the company as well as the owner before signing anything do your homework !!!! as for panther I know some panther driver as well as I know some tri-state driver they sit as much as anyone else its part of the business. good luck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There are a lot of things that effect whether you can achieve that number. What is their 120,000 based on?
Other factors would include the size of truck, your expectations of hometime and location, how experienced are you and the fleet owner?
How long has the fleet owner been with Panther? Does he help in relocation and securing loads, or just a silent partner?
Many things will affect that number.
May want to ask him/her for current and past drivers numbers and then you might get a clearer picture.

While not covering everything, this is something that might be useful.
Swimming with Sharks

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
You may also want to consider that "amenities" will also limit weight and cube that you will be able to accept. Many these days feel, extreme comfort, way more of a priority than being able to carry diverse types of freight. Probly why they sit for "days". If you have multiple choices, choose the equipment that has the tallest, widest, longest, most axles available.

rpack41

Expert Expediter
I have spoke with current drivers and everything is wonderful.
BUT, you know, everything is great with your company when you are employed there and ask any driver and they all are making money until you hire on then they all are broke. FUNNY how that works.
I dont know how to go about getting xDrivers contact information but I think it would give me the real scoop.
The owner gets $1.75 flat per loaded mile and $1.00 deadhead.
We will get 40%. He does DOD freight. Which we happen to be very experienced in.
I have spoke with a Tri-State owner and he wanted to pay 60% + FSC. we pay fuel. Is any drivers coming out on this deal?
how is the numbers working for you?
Also FedX. We would insist on white glove with our track record.
The truck owner was excited with the ideal. but was told we would have our performance evaluated over several months, then go on a waiting list for white glove. Can anyone tell me if this is fact? and what are they evaluating? How long is the waiting list?

rpack41

Expert Expediter
Thank you, I will keep in mind the size of the box. I am assuming the weight is the same as a big truck. 34000# duel and 20000# single. what is the standard GVW for the expiditer or is there one with the varity of trucks used?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I can't answer your Fedex question, but generally a 60/40 split will give the driver more money than a 40 percent deal will.
That is assuming the truck has a generator, you are recieving ALL (100 %) of the FSC, and you aren't deadheading all over the place.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We came from T/T team driving and the biggest thing we had to get used to was the sitting. Expediters have feast or famine lives :p Either we are running til the wheels fall off, or sitting and growing moss. It's a great life once you get used to it.
Ask the fleet owner for current / past drivers phone #'s, if they don't want to do that, run away.
Ask what the equipment is...like x06col said, you want the biggest, widest, most weight you can get. The more you can haul the better.
If you are DOD qualified that will help as well. Also, does the truck have a reefer? That will also help with loads.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
hi
im am with Panther.... it will be 3 yrs come this Nov.....
and this aug.. will be 2 yrs with my present owner.
I drive solo..... i tried teaming 2x and well.... i like it bymyself.
as to the owner selling whats in the truck to make u comfy before talking of other things.
I agree... there r times u will have to sit..... like weekends for example.
no matter where u are... weekends are the slowest and the christmas holidays can be as well...... but then again..... everyone is wanting off during that paticular time .. and there is still frieght out there.....
this yr i spent new yrs driving.... a load from Bufalo NY all the way near the coast of Miss. and got payed lay over on top of it all... wooHoo...
and i guess your gonna have to sit anywhere. miles well be confy right?
even teams need to do resets of there driving hours.
i have learned a lot out here from other drivers in the past 2 and half yrs ....and i am still learning and not afraid to ask ?? or hear helpful advice.
and here's somethng i have learned......
being a solo driver and taking a load to anywhere in Texas.......
God I love texas..... LOL .. seriously i do..... i use to live there..... in the DFW area.
but what i have learned..... is Laredo, Houston DFW areas..... can be good or bad with loads.
and they way i have figured on handling going there... is .. after i pod out from a load.... see where i am on the boards..... if i am like... 1,2 or 3.. i'll wait it out . most likely .. if its more then that..... i wait a lil bit and see how fast the boards are moving..... if they r moving slow.... i start looking at the back haul loads.... and /or call the back haul dept at Panther... it may not pay as much as a reg panther load..... but it may at least pay to help towards the fuel to get into a better area.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
You may also want to consider that "amenities" will also limit weight and cube that you will be able to accept. Many these days feel, extreme comfort, way more of a priority than being able to carry diverse types of freight. Probly why they sit for "days". If you have multiple choices, choose the equipment that has the tallest, widest, longest, most axles available.

....AND a liftgate and pads. I had a leased O/O tell me last week that 4 out of the last five loads he got required liftgate. Running team, that translated into about 5500 loaded miles in one week Granted that doesn't happen quite like that every week but that truck gets moved while others sit.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would have your owner talk to a FedEx Custom Critical recruiter to find out the scoop on getting into White Glove. The recruited will want to know truck information as well as information on you the drivers.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
being a driver for a o/o ...... i try to make myself available for as much frieght as possiable....
i go to canada..... A LOT.... lol
some drivers say they dont like going there..... or have some other excuse not to go there..... and i have had some hassels at the boarders......but nothing very extrem.
i tried to see about the white glove thing...... but they say i have to be a team.
I have a haz mat...... which is no big deal ..cause most haz loads r in small amounts anyways....
IF i was a O/O and had my own truck....... i would want a refer box......and yes the lift gates and the extra wheels....... so i can my options open to more types of frieght.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Also FedX. We would insist on white glove with our track record.
The truck owner was excited with the ideal. but was told we would have our performance evaluated over several months, then go on a waiting list for white glove. Can anyone tell me if this is fact? and what are they evaluating? How long is the waiting list?

Sorry to sound this way but why would you insist on being in WG?

You can do very well without the hassle or the prestige. Surface trucks move just as much but .... never mind.

Anywho about WG.....

There is a waiting list, and the way it is supposed to work is (version one) that you are supposed to be asked to join and then put on the list or (version two) you ask to be put on the list and then wait. I heard the waiting list is in the 200's but someone can correct me.

They are supposed to be looking for a number of things; in service time, acceptance rate, no complaints, no cargo claims, no accidents, top drawer customer service and so on but prove this all in the surface fleet first or really should be.

But if you start with an owner who has to fill a WG truck, they will bypass all the requirements for the owner to fill the truck and this really does not allow others who are waiting to fill the openings first.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We were told by an owner we will make $120,000 a year driving his truck. (Panther)Whatcha think? rose

The owner gets $1.75 flat per loaded mile and $1.00 deadhead. We will get 40%.

If you get 40% and he says you'll do $120k that means the truck has to do $300k. If the overall rate is $1.50 all miles that's 200k annual miles or 16,667 per month. That's not out of the question but that's a lot of miles as a monthly average for a year. I'd have to talk to some others who are regularly managing that to not be concerned about consistently managing it myself.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
To be polite. Can it be done yes, will you do it probably not. You might do it once or twice in a career at todays rates, but you will be in the top two or three percent. So look for a more reasonable number.