Nastiest Truck Stop on the Planet

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Okay, I haven't really been to all the truck stops on the planet but I would like to nominate this one as the nastiest:

Charlies Truck Stop in Va. Beach, VA
I submit this nomination based on the following:

*Filthy parking lot made up of dirt, sand and potholes. Do not wash your truck before arriving there!
*Garbage, dead animals and the stench of urine behind the parking spaces.
*The inside appears as if it has not been cleaned in years
*Restrooms scary dirty and unmaintained

I refused to spend one dime at this Truck stop and hope others will do the same. This type of dump is a slap in the face to all professional drivers. I can't think of any other type of business that could get away with this.

Do any of you have your own nomination?? Please let EO members know so we can make a list of where not to go and where not to spend our money

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I agree that Charlies is a nasty place...but if you're in a semi the options for parking in the Hampton Roads area are limited. Luckily, being in a straight truck or a van we have more options.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
...but if you're in a semi the options for parking in the Hampton Roads area are limited.

Exactly. And that is why they get away with it.

In that case I would say park there because it is free but don't patronize them. Walk to Denny's or Waffle House for breakfast or get a sub at Zero's. There are hotels across the street.

I just feel that patronizing these types of places says that it is okay and they will never care to clean it up.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Is that the one with the slot machines type games in it? If I'm not mistaken I was in that are back in the start of 2006 and I walked in and they had a ton of those Cherry Master with people playing them and you couldn't hardly see for all the smoke.

There is another truck stop around there somewhere but I can't remember the name of it. I want to say Frank's or something along those lines. It isn't a chain, but it is a decent place. Well, it was the last time I was there. I think Charlie's is the one where the fuel island is kinda at the front of to one side of the place. I don't remember. Been there once and it's been awhile. If it's the same one I'm thinking of I second your motion.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That truck stop in Bollingbrook (I-55 near Joliet) is pretty nasty. Flying J in Fargo is a rough one. Flying M in Ontario could use a good power wash. That truck stop on the other side of the Interstate from the Flying J in Waddy, KY is an experience.

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
all 5 th wheels in ontario CAN. are discusting, bathrooms smell, food sucks, not that i would eat there, 90 % of all stops i been through on both sides of the border are horrid, i would say that TA in WOODSTOCK ONT. is a ok place, not too bad there!

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I vote for the one just east of Little Rock on 40. I think it is a Petro. Scary place, and mucho nasty.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That truck stop in Bollingbrook (I-55 near Joliet) is pretty nasty.

It officially was in Plainfield, I-55 and U.S. 30.

I had to pick up a swap there last January and the dump was closed. Jersey barriers at the driveway were keeping the undesirables out (in?) It was dark and pouring rain so I couldn't see if the building was torn down or not. Definitely a nasty place. Should have been condemned during the Carter administration.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Charles sucks, I hate going even by the place. There is a Pilot on I-78, Clinton, New Jersey.
Filthy beyond belief!!! We stopped for a shower, walked in and turned around and left. It was SSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dirty you could see the bacteria and viruses walking around. Layoutshooter

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
It officially was in Plainfield, I-55 and U.S. 30.

I had to pick up a swap there last January and the dump was closed. Jersey barriers at the driveway were keeping the undesirables out (in?) It was dark and pouring rain so I couldn't see if the building was torn down or not. Definitely a nasty place. Should have been condemned during the Carter administration.

Is that the place that charges truckers for showers even if they buy fuel? I think they just give you half off the price of the shower, but seeing how the place looked inside, I didn't even want to see what the showers looked like.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO Let us not for the the "Garlic Farm" south of San Jose. The place is a dump, the showers are a night mare. You get one "freebe" there with 50 gallons. Either free parking or 1 (not team) shower. Not to mention the hugh crop of rifraf that hands out around the place. Layoutshooter

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
The Gateway Truckstop in Laredo is pretty bad. Not to mention they have a full bar in there and most of the drivers there are drunk. If the Petro in Little Rock scares you the Gateway in Laredo would make you mess your pants.

I'm not to fond of the TA in Gary,IN.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I always go to Kannopolis, rather than park at the Pilot in Charlotte, right next door to a strip joint.:(

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the heads up on these dumps!!

I am updating our "Next Exit Guide" so we can try to avoid them.

EEWWWW! I still feel itchy thinking about Charlies.

bgoveia

Seasoned Expediter
I can't believe the "Oasis" here in Decatur, IL on route #48 just off I-72 hasn't been mentioned here before. They finally built a new Pilot accross the road, don't know if the "Oasis" is still open or not. Last company I worked for maintaining and building c-stores and truckstops had the "Oasis" as a customer. NO one wanted to take a call to it for pump work there it was such a mess. With that said I noticed that not that many Panther trucks and vans sitting at the Pilot anymore waiting on the Catipillar loads, mostly T-State. Did Panther lose the Cat loads or something? I drove a van for Panther and picked up a lot of nice loads from Catipillar going south to Georgia and South Carolina.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I never did truck stops well while out except for the normal business of fuel, showzers. But I see a couple of folks turning their noses up at places that housed a couple venues that would make a truck stop stay kinda bearable. One wit a bar, an anuther wit a ti ti bar. Heard the Chippendales were there last week Cherri.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I was gonna post about the Oasis, but couldn't remember where in IL it was. I had the misfortune of taking a shower there. $9, and Abu was happy to take my money. Afterwards, it was like he didn't even notice me as a customer. His attitude was as crappy as the shower was.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
But I just can't get excited over someone with dollar signs in their eyes, and dollar bills in their jockeys.....:rolleyes: