Naming Bad Fleet Owners

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
So let me ask this.... Has any of you who own there trucks... Ever not been paid by your company..For what ever reason the load didn't pay they didn't pay a bonus or deadhead.. Did you let it go because you just didn't need the money.. Or did you call and ask where is my money and why didn't it pay??? So the whole point to this is you work for it just like we do.. But the difference is we have an owner who pays us.. We can't call said company and ask why.. We have to call an owner who may or may not talk to you... So why shouldn't i be allowed to say this guy is an deadbeat and maybe he might think i'm bad driver and why can't he say that... Like i said before were all adults...

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
So let me ask this.... Has any of you who own there trucks... Ever not been paid by your company..For what ever reason the load didn't pay they didn't pay a bonus or deadhead.. Did you let it go because you just didn't need the money.. Or did you call and ask where is my money and why didn't it pay??? So the whole point to this is you work for it just like we do.. But the difference is we have an owner who pays us.. We can't call said company and ask why.. We have to call an owner who may or may not talk to you... So why shouldn't i be allowed to say this guy is an deadbeat and maybe he might think i'm bad driver and why can't he say that... Like i said before were all adults...

Yes, Because the drivers didn't get 2 copies of the BOL. The carrier never got a copy and the load has never been paid. The load advances was taken out, but we never got paid for the load. The load was only $567.00 but it still hurts.

Drivers will tell that a owner is bad if he takes money out of their last settlements because the turned a truck in a mess with Blood stains all over the mattress in it. We had a two month old pillow top mattress we got for the truck when we moved them from another truck. In the past we would hold a drivers pay for 45 days if they didn't put in a two week notice. Now if you don't do what is in your Contract by giving a 15 day working notice their is a fee just like a cell phone company.

We don't want their money, we just want them to do what it says in the contract. Thank God we have a good fleet of drivers now and we try to get them home every other weekend.

Last edited:

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
Just so I have this crystal clear, starting out in my own straight truck is a good thing, right?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
holding money for good reasons does not make you a bad owner as stated by dave. dont handle paperwork correct dont get paid. its no different than owning yourself. if it doesnt make it to the office it doesnt get paid. there are some things you cant hold for that are normal wear and tear when it comes to the truck. like daves mattress, accidents happen. yes they do make mattress pads, but some dont like them. any women will tell you sometimes it just happens. now if it was tore or had other stains from food or soles of shoes. anything that could have been prevented by just not doing it, then the driver is responsible. but as far as bad drivers and owners, there are both. i dont think naming is proper. pm's are probably better. carriers shouldnt be involved in squabbles but, when owner issues arise by more than one driver, or if the owner has been reported more than a few times the carrier should take some action to cure the problem.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Just so I have this crystal clear, starting out in my own straight truck is a good thing, right?

It can be a good thing...if you are prepared to run your business like a business. If you are not prepared, your business will run you in ways you may not like.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

In 1987 I had a govgernment load,one of my first,that had so much freight,the GBL had a continuation sheet,but the base never gave it to me,so therefore I didn't know there was one.when it was time to get paid the next week that load didn't pay,reason,not all the paperwork waqs sent to the company and the Government didn't pay for that load.Eventually the rest of the paperwork was tracted down and I did get paid,but took a few months.Thats the only time since 1984 I didn't receive the money that was owed me on time.
THe way my teams were paid,they bought the fuel and had their money up front from the advances,there were cases where drivers have owed me.

Last edited:

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
Now maybe this post is going out to left field alittle.... But what's the difference between someone bashing an owner for whatever reason... Any different than the countless post asking how good or bad company XYorZ is.... People get on here and bash certain companies for various reasons... But thats ok because they have big shoulders and can handle.. But by no means can we pick on the poor little fleet owner... Just seems to be a double standard to me

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Now maybe this post is going out to left field alittle.... But what's the difference between someone bashing an owner for whatever reason... Any different than the countless post asking how good or bad company XYorZ is.... People get on here and bash certain companies for various reasons... But thats ok because they have big shoulders and can handle.. But by no means can we pick on the poor little fleet owner... Just seems to be a double standard to me

Ill go out in left field with ya here and assume its not a good idea to bash the carriers here other then then normal smoking and j/king that goes on because some of these carriers are paying customers to this site and we don't own the site.
Just a thought

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
TS462, yes for monies being kept by a company. I drove for Panther for a short time. September 2007 until mid December 2007. They still have ALL the escrow they held from my pay. After a year of being told by various personal at Panther we're working on it. I gave up in asking. Everything I had of Panther's was shipped back. I still have my receipts proving it arrived intact with no breakage.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This is bizarre ...

With Escrow, tell them to release the money with interest. They should be sending you a 1099 with interest payments on that money unless they have a really good reason to keep it.

Mattress?

The one thing I refuse to do is to pay for a matress for the truck when there is a driver in it. There is a health issue with some 'things' that can happen in a truck, and my experience with bed bugs a few years back would lead me to believe that it is also a legal issue if something would have happened to the people in the truck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ill go out in left field with ya here and assume its not a good idea to bash the carriers here other then then normal smoking and j/king that goes on because some of these carriers are paying customers to this site and we don't own the site.
Just a thought

I don't think the carrier's status as an advertiser is relevant - what matters is that if you bash them, you state your complaint factually. Posts that say "XYZ carrier sucks!" just don't have any credibility.
As Maniac said, having knowledge of an unscrupulous owner or driver can be posted, without naming the individual, and those who may be interested in getting the name can ask in a pm.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think the carrier's status as an advertiser is relevant - what matters is that if you bash them, you state your complaint factually. Posts that say "XYZ carrier sucks!" just don't have any credibility.
As Maniac said, having knowledge of an unscrupulous owner or driver can be posted, without naming the individual, and those who may be interested in getting the name can ask in a pm.

My gawd mark this day in history..we agree on something...:p

I think it leads to credibility ...someone usually a new or infrequent member posts they been ripped...Now the owner facing possible litigation . has no recourse to defend themselves....and nor they to the general public...it IS between the 2 parties...IF it ever does come to court..there will be recorded documentation to post the link and people can decide for themselves....

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
I guess the thing i don't get is this it's ok for Bill to say Panther but if i were to say John Smith its some how more wrong... I'm i not seeing the forest because of the trees???

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I guess the thing i don't get is this it's ok for Bill to say Panther but if i were to say John Smith its some how more wrong... I'm i not seeing the forest because of the trees???

Drive-by complaint posts by someone new are deleted regardless of whether it is a carrier or individual they are discussing.

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
Drive-by complaint posts by someone new are deleted regardless of whether it is a carrier or individual they are discussing.
So if i getting this right what EQ is trying to do is stop the new guy who just got the short end of the stick... From posting said owner is a deadbeat.. But if you have 1 or 14000 post it might be ok... I think i'm seeing the forest again

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I don't consider myself a "Drive by" poster. Panther is a BIG outfit. Whether it was done intentionally or slipped through the cracks because of the volume of Cargo vans that pass through I don't know. All I know there seemed to be no hard feeling when I left, and they still have my escrow.:rolleyes:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I don't consider myself a "Drive by" poster. Panther is a BIG outfit. Whether it was done intentionally or slipped through the cracks because of the volume of Cargo vans that pass through I don't know. All I know there seemed to be no hard feeling when I left, and they still have my escrow.:rolleyes:

Bill IM me, as I live in Seville and maybe I can help you out on this. I have never had any problems with Panther in regards to money. Panther has even helped us out after we left our old carrier. We had a truck go down and we had it out of service. Adam Walter called me up and asked why the truck was out of service. I told Adam what happened and I was going leave the truck out of service until we got a our 1st settlement from Panther to fix the truck. Adam ask how much the repair was and they loaded money to our owners card within a hour. Adam told me that a truck isn't making any money for us sitting out of service.

That was over two years ago. Panther has it warts at times as Leo says. But over all we are VERY happy with Panther Expedited Services.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I didn't \ don't have a problem with Panther per Se. I swallowed the recruiters line hook and sinker about the miles I would be driving. They weren't there for me. Told my contact with Panther it's wasn't working for me and he said "no hard feeling, just send your qual com and other things that belong to Panther" I did.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
TS462, yes for monies being kept by a company. I drove for Panther for a short time. September 2007 until mid December 2007. They still have ALL the escrow they held from my pay. After a year of being told by various personal at Panther we're working on it. I gave up in asking. Everything I had of Panther's was shipped back. I still have my receipts proving it arrived intact with no breakage.

We still have a van on with Panther.
Unfortunately our driver retired last month.
Long story short - Panther refuse to pay out the last pay settlement cos the escrow had not reached their limit.

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
It can be a good thing...if you are prepared to run your business like a business. If you are not prepared, your business will run you in ways you may not like.

I've been researching this for about 6 months. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger in late Feb. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: