Microsoft Streets and Trips?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ah.... yea.....isn't that .... well...... Cheri... if you have to turn your head to read it.... while you are driving.... well isn't that... like kind of .... like.... not so good......not trying to yank your chain but......

If you worry about laptops, and other devices, the window is just as bad, or did I miss something?

What happens at night when you are driving in say the dark, can you see what you wrote on the window without turning on the cab lights and turning your head?

Not to be a smart a** but what happens when it is really humid and that build up of water is on the window and you kind of wipe the window to see?

I like the paper idea, see it is easy to deal with, it is right in front of me and I don't have to wash my window after the run or turn my head and take my glasses off to see my notes. See it goes right in with my notes so I can get lost another time the right way...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, I said I use what they call Paper and a device that they call a Pen and do that thing called writing to write down the directions.

Now if my keyboard would only die so I can get a new one that doesn't have a mind of its own I would be happy... too many typos in every post....

Sorry must of missed it wading thru a couple wasted posts..:rolleyes:

When an address is in doubt I like the Google maps/business search....I like the satillite view, you can see where the trucks are to the address....like around the corner and in back entrance...and the street view shows what the front of building looks like...
And part of our QC features is drivers instructions macro....local directions submitted by drivers...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
True story....about a year or so after JuJu and I started...met this Fedex driver(drove for an owner) named Charlie...think he was either Ky or Tn...had about 8 kids back in the hills....he even looked hillbillieish...*LOL* He had no toys or maps....said to Charlie..How you find your way around?

He replied...when I get to the corner I ask the good Lord for help..and he tells me which way to turn....and 50% of the time He is right!! Gotta have faith! :)

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Ah.... yea.....isn't that .... well...... Cheri... if you have to turn your head to read it.... while you are driving.... well isn't that... like kind of .... like.... not so good......not trying to yank your chain but......

If you worry about laptops, and other devices, the window is just as bad, or did I miss something?

What happens at night when you are driving in say the dark, can you see what you wrote on the window without turning on the cab lights and turning your head?

Not to be a smart a** but what happens when it is really humid and that build up of water is on the window and you kind of wipe the window to see?

I like the paper idea, see it is easy to deal with, it is right in front of me and I don't have to wash my window after the run or turn my head and take my glasses off to see my notes. See it goes right in with my notes so I can get lost another time the right way...

LMAO. I couldn't have said it better myself. I would not have used that much tact.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Write it with glow-in-the-dark neon green marker on the windshield right in front of you face. The ultimate in high-tech redneck headsup displays.

Last edited:

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
I mainly use a Garmin, PC Miler, and Streets & Trips with the Truck Stop Plus GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip template. It works well for me. Others use what works best for them. You may think that's BS, but it's not.

I want to know where you can get the Truck Stop Plus GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip template. I just got the the regular Truck Stop Plus. Please advise.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's really the same thing, except you have to feel the badaѕѕ, be one with the badaѕѕ. If you can do that, the GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip emerges. It's awesome, especially when you combine it with a few choice things from PC Miler, and then export them all to the Garmin. GGGRRRRRR

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Originally Posted by Podcast
Man if I stared out the windshield like a bug eyed paranoid zombie
I think you've mistaken me for Moot - he's the bald guy, ok?

Hey, how did I get dragged into this fray? Since I am here and have 24 hours to kill until my van gets repaired, here goes:

I use PCmiler for city to city routing. I purchased my first GPS, a Garmin, about a month ago. I have managed to survive all these years without one. Never missed a pick-up or delivery.

I use the Garmin for finding addresses, truckstops, rest areas, WalMarts, etc. I also use it for city to city, but only after consulting PCmiler and the good old fashioned Rand McNally Road Atlas. I like the Garmin's e.t.a., miles traveled and miles to go features.

I also have a newer version of DeLorme and a 2000 version of Rand McNally Trip Maker/Street & Address Finder loaded on my laptop. I can't find a new version of
Rand McNally Trip Maker/Street & Address Finder. Did they get out of the software side of mapping?

So with all of this, plus C.B. radio, written customer and driver directions I'm good to go. Or at least I will be once my van is fixed.

Thought for the day: Why is that driver directions rarely include compass directions? Mostly it is turn right, turn left with no mention of direction of travel.

JBCarroll

Seasoned Expediter
I've been doing local and oto deliveries since 2001. I now use a solo gps unit for local, and streets an trips for long distance. Also have installed truck stops plus in conjunction with streets and trips. In either case set your unit for fastest route, no tolls and you will do fine. Just remember solo gps units dont route you around city limits where you can program streets and trips to do this for you. I mount my solo in the drink holder, my laptop on a computer stand which i got in Canton Ohio. But as far as toll roads are concerned, consider getting a prepaid unit to place on your window as to not slow you down any. And consider this, your laptop can be your gps, when parked, your record keeper, e-mail, online radio, online tv. Cant do all this with a solo gps unit.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The ONLY reason we are using Streets and Trips is we just can't get Delorme to run at all!! We ran it for years and now it just blue screens us. :mad: