Microsoft Streets and Trips?

Podcast

Seasoned Expediter
Mr. Podcast, welcome to EO. Use your fancy laptop to find the nearest library and enroll in every Dale Carnegie course you can find.

Thank you very much, but I already graduated from the Dale Carnegie course in my previous career.:cool:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah right. In other words, like Cheri you've only used one solution so you think you know better.
Actually, you don't know nearly as much as you think you do. I've used both solutions extensively and I absolutely know what I'm talking about. I'm both a computer geek and a GPS geek, particular in the areas of route coding, how it works and how it can be altered and tweaked. I know the pluses and minuses of Streets & Trips, DeLorme Street Atlas and PC Miler, as well as Garmin and Tom Tom GPS units. All of these solutions have their strengths and weaknesses.

Some of your comments about Streets & Trips are very valid, but others are nothing more than personal preference. Many of the neat-keen-supercool-and-groovy things you are so proud of doing with Streets and Trips can and are also being done with Garmin standalones. Some of your knocks on standalone units are equally valid, but others indicate either a severe lack of knowledge or inability to operate the software properly and efficiently. In other words, some of your comments show that you really and truly don't know what you're talking about.

Just because you have a personal preference for Streets & Trips does not mean your way is the only way, the bestest and mostest good, good way to do things. Spending a little while in the Tech Forum reading up on the GPS topics might just gain you a little more knowledge about a lot of things.

Then again, naaaaa. Someone said it... Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous?

Podcast

Seasoned Expediter
Many of the neat-keen-supercool-and-groovy things you are so proud of doing with Streets and Trips can and are also being done with Garmin standalones.

Really? Can you open two or three instances of the Garmin software like you can with Streets & Trips, say one instance with your current trip and a couple of blank instances that you then leave minimized and running in the background, and then use them when the need arises like to check mileage from point A to B real quick, to detour around a traffic back up real fast and then resume your current trip when you return back on course, to search for large truck stops with scales, rest areas, and Wal-Mart Supercenters, or to decide whether or not you want to accept or decline that preplan real quick that dispatch just sent you all the while you are also not interfering with your current trip?

Moreover, Streets & Trips is okay but with the Truck Stops Plus add-on template it is bad-***. What do you know about Streets & Trips combined with the Truck Stops Plus add-on template, which basically transforms Streets & Trips into trucking specific software and makes it much more powerful?

When I’m talking about Streets & Trips being the best solution, I’m also talking about Streets & Trips combined with the Truck Stops Plus add-on template, which transforms Streets & Trips and makes it so much more powerful. As another poster already said in this thread when talking about the Truck Stops Plus, “it’s the best money I’ve ever spent!”

For instance, can you also quickly check for restricted routes and low overhead clearances from the convenience of your GPS micro screen like I can from my 17 inch laptop screen when Streets & Trips is combined with the Truck Stops Plus, or do you still have to pull a big and bulky MCRA out to check?

Some of your knocks on standalone units are equally valid, but others indicate either a severe lack of knowledge or inability to operate the software properly and efficiently. In other words, some of your comments show that you really and truly don't know what you're talking about.

Really, is that right? That’s funny, then what exactly were some of my knocks about standalone GPS device’s software that indicates a severe lack of knowledge or inability to operate the software properly and efficiently, especially since I never once addressed the software capabilities of any standalone GPS units one time in this thread?

In other words, it is more than obvious you are creating a silly straw man argument in a feeble and stupid attempt to prop yourself up as being some sort of superior authority. Yep...I see what kind of authority you are…you are an authority on BS!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yawn....

Let's try this again, computer crashed (yea linux can you beleive that?)

OK... I have a bunch of GPS units that were handed to me for reviews. I kept them because I can but I don't use any of them. My last one I got the other day is one of them 5" screen things, it is nice and I think all of them should be at least 5".

I have a laptop, it is a beat up laptop but it works.

I have Different software packages here, Delorem, S&T (pick a version), Map Point, Auto Route and so on. I use S&Ts.

Now the thing is I use it for mapping, not thinking. It replaces my big printed maps and the small little maps but it is not 100% accurate.

To answer the safety issue, I don't agree with the premise smaller is better. I think that people should take an endorsement test to have a gps navigation unit in their vehicle, many can't drive without one let alone be distracted with one. The chances are far greater that a mother trying to find the nearest gas station on the fly that she passes everyday is going to cause an accident than a trucker while messing with his/her little unit - but then we should seriously think about a different approach to licensing in this country and get rid of the idea that everyone deserves to drive.

Well I do my part. I have a 17 inch monitor "mounted" to my floor. It gets removed when I need to route myself and I use what they call Paper and a device that they call a Pen and do that thing called writting to write down the directions. Then my really expensive $50 monitor gets turned off and I go on my way with the directions tacked to the dash. Really high tech.

Now for my mini review.

I like S&Ts and have for a while. The reason I bought my first copy was because it was easy to use out of the box. I had no problems with plugging the GPS unit into it and map away.

The first thing I was told was an improvement was the POI system and the push pins. OK now I can group push pins and there is an expanded POI - big deal. I want the ability to add to the POI database, not buy some "template" that puts push pins on the map which I can do already with the data I have. I hate push pins because they can not be anchored and act like destinations. I even offered to pay MS for them to put in POIs but no one wanted to entertain that idea.

The second thing is now you can actually change the route with drag and drop, which it took MS long enough. With their Drag and Drop sales pitch of the past, every program should have it as a feature.

The third thing that I really like is the improvements with files and conductivity. No longer does my database have to spit out an .est file to plot my pickup and drop locations but now I can use OLE/ODBC/JDBC as my conduit. Also I can import and export GPX format, which I can also create from my database.

The fourth thing is more of a techy thing, it seems that the GUI uses less memory, maybe it is my test platform but 2009 used more video memory than 2010.

Map Point would be a good program to get if you are analyzing the data from your carrier if you had access. It has all the functionality that S&T has but more business driven functions as part of the package. I mean you can take all the runs say on July 15, 2009 and plot them to see where the concentration of loads were coming out of. For that matter, you can use it to do some prediction, so it would be good for heavy researchers like Phil who uses massive amounts of data to find where the loads are.

OH and one last thing I wish the makers of Daily Drivers Log would talk to me about their software package, I would like to see native GPS interface put into the software and get rid of the text file data and allow me to use a database.

Last edited:

edbrakos

Not a Member
Looks like M$ even knows where it product should be used

2wghedu.jpg

edbrakos

Not a Member
Yawn....

OK... I have a bunch of GPS units that were handed to me for reviews. I kept them because I can but I dont use any of them. My last one I got the other day is one of them 5" screen things, it is nice and I think all of them should be at least 5".

Trying to figure out how you can review a gps device if you dont
use them. How do you know which one performs the best? Are you a reviewer for a magizine ? Are there published articles that can be read of yours?

Why don't you take a picture of "bunch of GPS + 5"
I'm sure im not the only one that would like to see a picture of what youre reviewing

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I get paid to ghost write reviews, EO doesn't pay me so they don't get posted.

I do GPS units as I do other things, like radio equipment and tools. The people who pay me to do the work put their own byline on the review to make it appear they write them and they appear all over the place at times. My name appears no where because I like it that way.

I won't say where or when, that I keep between myself and my client for obvious reasons.

This is a very common practice on this thing that they call the Internet. You would not beleive how much is written by others for people who need, want or other wise can't provide content.

Pictures, sorry I don't post pictures for a number of valid reasons. I have no release for the unit sitting in my truck right now to post a picture. It won't be mine until the review is submitted to the editor and I get paid.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Really? Can you open two or three instances of the Garmin software like you can with Streets & Trips, say one instance with your current trip and a couple of blank instances that you then leave minimized and running in the background, and then use them when the need arises like to check mileage from point A to B real quick, to detour around a traffic back up real fast and then resume your current trip when you return back on course, to search for large truck stops with scales, rest areas, and Wal-Mart Supercenters, or to decide whether or not you want to accept or decline that preplan real quick that dispatch just sent you all the while you are also not interfering with your current trip?
Other than "multiple instances", which isn't necessary, yeah, I can do all that. Mileage A to B quickly is not a problem, if you know how to do it. Detouring around a traffic backup real fast is accomplished by the pressing of a single button, actually. In many instances the FM Traffic has already done that without me even having to press the DETOUR button. Not only can I search for large truck stops with scales, I can search for small and midland truck stops, with and without scales. I can search for Walmart Supercenters and even regular Walmart non-Supercenters. I can search for rest areas, picnic areas, not to mention millions of other areas and business with a couple of button presses, all without interfering with my trip.

Oh, I can do all of the above, and more, without ever taking either hand off the wheel. Try that with a laptop and Streets & Trips. <snort>

Moreover, Streets & Trips is okay but with the Truck Stops Plus add-on template it is bad-***. What do you know about Streets & Trips combined with the Truck Stops Plus add-on template, which basically transforms Streets & Trips into trucking specific software and makes it much more powerful?
I have the template. Yeah, it's a great addon. It's so powerful and badaѕѕ that the other day I heard it beating its chest and growling. "GGGGRRRRRR, Gimmie a route. Gimme a Route!"

When I’m talking about Streets & Trips being the best solution, I’m also talking about Streets & Trips combined with the Truck Stops Plus add-on template, which transforms Streets & Trips and makes it so much more powerful. As another poster already said in this thread when talking about the Truck Stops Plus, “it’s the best money I’ve ever spent!”
I got the template for free off Usenet. It's the best money I've never spent.

For instance, can you also quickly check for restricted routes and low overhead clearances from the convenience of your GPS micro screen like I can from my 17 inch laptop screen when Streets & Trips is combined with the Truck Stops Plus, or do you still have to pull a big and bulky MCRA out to check?
Actually, I do neither. I don't even have a big and bulky MCRA. Haven't ever needed or wanted it.

Really, is that right? That’s funny, then what exactly were some of my knocks about standalone GPS device’s software that indicates a severe lack of knowledge or inability to operate the software properly and efficiently, especially since I never once addressed the software capabilities of any standalone GPS units one time in this thread?
Well, I never said you had any knocks on the standalone's software. The phrase I used was your knocks on the "standalone units", not the standalone units' software. You're knocking the units themselves and claiming they cannot do this or that, yet they can, which indicates a lack of knowledge on your part, or inability to operate the software on those units.

In other words, it is more than obvious you are creating a silly straw man argument in a feeble and stupid attempt to prop yourself up as being some sort of superior authority. Yep...I see what kind of authority you are…you are an authority on BS!
That's the classic charge levied by someone who clearly feels inferior, and feels threatened by superior knowledge and experience. Like I said, ignorance is instantaneous, but it can be fixed. You really should spent a little time reading some older posts on this subject to know where I and others are coming from. You will run the risk of learning something, though, so be careful.

You like Streets & Trips, apparently a lot, lot, lot. That's great. Makes me all happy. Good for you. But when you claim that your way is the best and only proper, right and correct way to navigate out on the road, it screams ignorance. It screams ignorance about other's wants, desires, needs, abilities and preferences. For example, I can't imagine someone driving a short wheelbase Ford E-350 cargo van to be the least little bit concerned with the restricted routing and low clearance features of the Truck Stop Plus template of Streets and Trips, yet according to you, everyone's gotta have it 'cause it's badaѕѕ. You got a financial stake in Truck Stop Plus or something? Believe it or not, some people are quite content and happy with the Rand McNally Trucker's Atlas. Others are happy with their $200 GPS unit that they got for $50 off eBay. Some are content with printed maps from Mapquest. Others think VZ Navigator is all that and a bag a chips.

I mainly use a Garmin, PC Miler, and Streets & Trips with the Truck Stop Plus GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip template. It works well for me. Others use what works best for them. You may think that's BS, but it's not.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome to the forum Podcast, looks like you have had a busy first day. I see you've met Turtle.......have you noticed that when you flip this little turtle over onto his back he can flip over again pretty quick? Got one hell of a hiss to him too. Most have learned he is a "look, don't touch" exhibit at this here zoo. Have a nice day.

Reactions: 1 person

Podcast

Seasoned Expediter
Other than "multiple instances", which isn't necessary, yeah, I can do all that. Mileage A to B quickly is not a problem, if you know how to do it. Detouring around a traffic backup real fast is accomplished by the pressing of a single button, actually. In many instances the FM Traffic has already done that without me even having to press the DETOUR button. Not only can I search for large truck stops with scales, I can search for small and midland truck stops, with and without scales. I can search for Walmart Supercenters and even regular Walmart non-Supercenters. I can search for rest areas, picnic areas, not to mention millions of other areas and business with a couple of button presses, all without interfering with my trip.

Give me a break dude…it’s obvious you don’t even drive a **** 18-wheeler and thus have no idea what I’m talking about! Figures.

I have the template. Yeah, it's a great addon. It's so powerful and badaѕѕ that the other day I heard it beating its chest and growling. "GGGGRRRRRR, Gimmie a route. Gimme a Route!"

Yeah you have the Truck Stops Plus template all right! Give me a break, it’s exceedingly obvious you don’t even know what it is yet alone have it and use it. Figures again!

I got the template for free off Usenet. It's the best money I've never spent.

Like I said above, it’s obvious you don’t even know what the template is or does yet own it. Now go look it up and come back and try to cya. You are a pathetic waste of my time and a **** liar!

Actually, I do neither. I don't even have a big and bulky MCRA. Haven't ever needed or wanted it.

Every one of my posts was premised on driving an 18-wheeler, yet you are attacking me under completely different premises. Quit wasting my time you loser and try minding your own business!

Well, I never said you had any knocks on the standalone's software.

Here’s exactly what you said:
Some of your knocks on standalone units are equally valid, but others indicate either a severe lack of knowledge or inability to operate the software properly and efficiently. In other words, some of your comments show that you really and truly don't know what you're talking about.

Who do you think you are kidding? You clearly said I had an inability to operate the software properly and efficiently when I never even addressed the software put in standalone GPS units!

Indeed, the entire debate, which was friendly until you got here, was about the size of the screen and safety issue vis-à-vis standalone GPS units vs. laptops. Get out of here and stop wasting my time you techy legend in your own mind!

That's the classic charge levied by someone who clearly feels inferior, and feels threatened by superior knowledge and experience. Like I said, ignorance is instantaneous, but it can be fixed. You really should spent a little time reading some older posts on this subject to know where I and others are coming from. You will run the risk of learning something, though, so be careful.

For crying out loud you intellectually dishonest superior buffoon! You obviously don’t have a clue about what I’m talking about, you are lying through your teeth, and the only thing that you are superior and more experienced at is at creating silly and ridiculous straw man arguments in a feeble and stupid attempt to prop yourself up as being superior that is so transparent a four year old can see right through them! Anyway, thanks for demonstrating it in two posts twice in a row! What a loser!

You like Streets & Trips, apparently a lot, lot, lot. That's great. Makes me all happy. Good for you. But when you claim that your way is the best and only proper, right and correct way to navigate out on the road, it screams ignorance. It screams ignorance about other's wants, desires, needs, abilities and preferences. For example, I can't imagine someone driving a short wheelbase Ford E-350 cargo van to be the least little bit concerned with the restricted routing and low clearance features of the Truck Stop Plus template of Streets and Trips, yet according to you, everyone's gotta have it 'cause it's badaѕѕ. You got a financial stake in Truck Stop Plus or something? Believe it or not, some people are quite content and happy with the Rand McNally Trucker's Atlas. Others are happy with their $200 GPS unit that they got for $50 off eBay. Some are content with printed maps from Mapquest. Others think VZ Navigator is all that and a bag a chips.

Give me a break you loser. I clearly premised my entire argument on driving an 18-wheeler. Go back and read my very first post and stop wasting my time with your absurd and silly intellectually dishonest straw man arguments! And I wish I had a financial stake in the Truck Stops Plus because it is a **** good product and maybe I could retire!

I mainly use a Garmin, PC Miler, and Streets & Trips with the Truck Stop Plus GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip template. It works well for me. Others use what works best for them. You may think that's BS, but it's not.

Look you intellectually dishonest legend in your own mind, I could care less what you use and I wouldn’t trust anything you said even if you told me today was Tuesday and the sun was shining!

Don’t reply to this post either because I’m through with you! What a gargantuan loser and waste of my time!

Podcast

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome to the forum Podcast, looks like you have had a busy first day. I see you've met Turtle.......have you noticed that when you flip this little turtle over onto his back he can flip over again pretty quick? Got one hell of a hiss to him too. Most have learned he is a "look, don't touch" exhibit at this here zoo. Have a nice day.

Yeah what a legend in his own mind and intellectually dishonest waste of time!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think mod action is not needed, no mod action here. They are needed other places if they would get moving and read some other posts.

As much as I want to side with anyone here, I can't because there are two valid points being made - one is truck stop plus for $40 and the free compiled version of information or the little annoying boxes made for only that.

Which ever someone wants to use is alright with me.

Some people have zero programming skills, others have zero comprehension skills and others don't want to bother with the push pin issues but want something to work and pays for the work to be done. It is hard work to put the little icons together and so on, so $40 seems fair but it is not exclusive info nor is it unavailable to everyone.

On the other hand, I know some of these units that people like are marketed for a reason and have a lot of the same features. People like the ease of use of the small little annoying box on their dash while others like the way it works - turn it on and it is a navigation system. Some people don't like to take the chance with their laptops and make them sleep in their case.

But Podcast, take it easy there, I know it gets frustrating and it is only a forum.

As for me, I said what I said about MS S&T, I am have my hands in with MS so I get to play with it before it comes out.

But I am going to add this. We need fresh content, not digging up posts from 3 months back, so I am wondering what's going on with locking threads 90 days or older? I know I could do it with one script for the database - poof locked threads - but again I am not the DBA here.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yeah right. In other words, like Cheri you've only used one solution so you think you know better.

You seem to have some difficulty in reading comprehension - I said [several times] that I have used S&T with the GPS on a laptop as well as a Garmin. FYI, I've also driven t/t, and furthermore, I am definitely NOT a 'dude', ok?
Your responses to Turtle were rude beyond any justification and extremely childish, as well.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
By the looks of it...I am a dinosaur....I use S & T and google maps BEFORE I set out and write it down on a notepad...and follow my own instructions....I think it is called pre-planning? Any one every try that? Instead of just go and hope some computer programming doesn't let ya down.

And a road atlas of course...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM, I said I use what they call Paper and a device that they call a Pen and do that thing called writing to write down the directions.

Now if my keyboard would only die so I can get a new one that doesn't have a mind of its own I would be happy... too many typos in every post....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I need to write directions, I like the idea I 'borrowed' after seeing Morningstar do it: write it on the window with a dry erase pen - it's easily removed.
Especially if you forget and roll down the window!:eek: