looking for loads

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
You know what I think it comes down to? A lot of us like the idea of an internet board where you can just see the loads and then pick the one you want. Call it lazy if you will, but I know that I've been searching for something like that for a while and I have yet to find it. The closest thing might be Panther's bid board where they post loads they can't cover in house. It's the same reason that many of us, myself included, were attracted to the idea of expediting in a van. We want results with a minimum amount of work. It does seem though that an online source for good paying expedited loads is nothing but a good idea, or something on our wish lists. I wish such a site existed, but I haven't found it yet. If anyone actually comes across one, please let us all know. Finding your own loads in this business is usually done through a whole lot of work cultivating relationships with shippers, brokers, and other carriers. I'd love to be able to just browse the web and find all my loads, but I don't think that's really possible at the moment.

Excellent point. There is no "mommy culture" involved when it comes to finding your own loads.

sullivandave

Seasoned Expediter
Transporter,I run vans out of the boston are ,I found the best way to stay running is to get brokers in your area or lanes,(ups,fedex,landstar,etc.) I hope this helps good luck dave

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
You know what I think it comes down to? A lot of us like the idea of an internet board where you can just see the loads and then pick the one you want. Call it lazy if you will, but I know that I've been searching for something like that for a while and I have yet to find it. The closest thing might be Panther's bid board where they post loads they can't cover in house. It's the same reason that many of us, myself included, were attracted to the idea of expediting in a van. We want results with a minimum amount of work. It does seem though that an online source for good paying expedited loads is nothing but a good idea, or something on our wish lists. I wish such a site existed, but I haven't found it yet. If anyone actually comes across one, please let us all know. Finding your own loads in this business is usually done through a whole lot of work cultivating relationships with shippers, brokers, and other carriers. I'd love to be able to just browse the web and find all my loads, but I don't think that's really possible at the moment.

"Let you all know" Sure I will. Heh, heh, heh

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
so it cost 115 bucks to get signed up on the gps website and then 125 a month. Which level is that. I was looking at their website and it seemed like there were 4 different levels.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Isn't that GPSNet pretty expensive compared to other sites?
Joe,

Perhaps - but if all you're getting from those "other" site is cheap crap - then I'd say "expensive" is only a relative term.

I don't know the actual cost of the various levels or options - although I have heard that they wanna give ya the dog and pony show before ya hear the price .... sooo .... I'd guess that it ain't on par with GetLoaded .... :D Ya get what ya pay for.

Hey Larry ..... ya know as a TEANA member (Foster Trucking) you could actually sponsor CharlesD - and actually do something worthwhile with your time on here .... just a thought. Ya know ... do some of that networking thing, bring some others into the fold, etc. ......

Afterall ..... since he runs a Sprinter he's not really that much competition for ya in that big truck is he ?

Nah .... nevermind ..... that would actually require helping someone .... perish the thought .... :eek:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Tried that "helping" thing for a couple years. It don't work! Believe me, it don't work!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Joe,

Perhaps - but if all you're getting from those "other" site is cheap crap - then I'd say "expensive" is only a relative term.

Is this perhaps an example of that "ROI" concept that some have so much trouble with?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Tried that "helping" thing for a couple years. It don't work! Believe me, it don't work!
Hmmph .... funny .... that hasn't been my experience at all ....

So then .... what are you saying ..... that you failed at it ?

Maybe it's the type or kind of "help" you are trying to provide ....

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Is this perhaps an example of that "ROI" concept that some have so much trouble with?
Ya know .... it just might be .... :D

Could be one of those deals that while expensive (relatively speaking), it might just be more expensive not to have it .... sorta of a "more ventured, more gained" kinda thang .....

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
"Try" and help someone? One would think that if a person is being benevolent, and helping another person, you'd think he wouldn't have to "try" too hard. You'd tink the "helpee" would pick up the ball and carry it himself a bit. But, in todays attitude of do as little as possible, for the most you can get, and take em for all you can quick, then fade away, helping folks is an attempt at futility. Your turn to "help", we'll see how long you last at it.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Ya know .... it just might be .... :D

Could be one of those deals that while expensive (relatively speaking), it might just be more expensive not to have it .... sorta of a "more ventured, more gained" kinda thang .....

The problem with most of the online sources isn't really the price, it's that many of them don't give you a chance to try the site out for free before forking over the money. I don't mind paying for access to a site provided that I'm going to get some loads from there to offset the costs. As cheap as getloaded is, I get a fair number of loads from there so I figure it's worth paying for. Plus, they gave me 30 days free to try it out, and by the end of that period, I had already found a few loads. There are others that tell you they have all kinds of freight, but there is no way you can actually see the loads until you pay the money and sign up. That's a risk I'm just not willing to take at the moment. Then so many shippers and brokers are using post everywhere kind of services so you can look at ten different boards and see the same loads. I've been trying to contact the folks at GPSNet, but they've not been getting back to me, but maybe I need to try a different contact there. The way freight is these days, I figure that it pays to have as many sources as you can find, whether load boards, direct customers, or brokers.

rodeehos

Seasoned Expediter
You Cannot Get On Gps Unless You Have Several Trucks In Your Fleet. There Are Several Load Boards That Are Just Like Getloaded. They Are Dat, Truckersedge.net, Directfreight.com, Expediteloads.com., Grabaload.com, Pickatruckload.com., Loadmax.com, Alttconnect.com. There Are Probably A Couple Of More, But These Should Keep You Labtop Pretty Busy.:)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
"Try" and help someone? One would think that if a person is being benevolent, and helping another person, you'd think he wouldn't have to "try" too hard.
You would think .....

You'd tink the "helpee" would pick up the ball and carry it himself a bit.
Indeed ....

But, in todays attitude of do as little as possible, for the most you can get, and take em for all you can quick, then fade away, helping folks is an attempt at futility.
Really ? ..... interesting ..... hmmm .... well .... that says quite a lot I guess. Sorta makes me wonder why you hang around here though .....

Larry, as you possibly know from some of my other posts I try and judge people as individuals and not paint with too broad a brush. I don't think that "everyone" is as you describe above. Nor do I think that "everyone" is the same as "everyone" else.

I guess to some extent it comes down to one's ability to judge another's character - if one is prone to making errors about the character of those one is trying to help I can see where one might get less than the expected results and come to the conclusion you have outlined above.

Your turn to "help", we'll see how long you last at it.
Been doing it 45+ years .... and still going strong ..... and I don't have any plans to curtail my efforts anytime in the foreseeable future .... so I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out as well for you. Here's hoping you have better luck in the future.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It doesn't matter how many he has. What I've been hearing is that gps isn't taking on one truck mom n pop companies anymore. It would be nice if they put criteria on their website tho.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
It doesn't matter how many he has. What I've been hearing is that gps isn't taking on one truck mom n pop companies anymore. It would be nice if they put criteria on their website tho.

For a program such as GPS411, I'm sure it is a balancing act between accepting people who will haul the freight, and making sure there are enough carriers who have freight to broker. Too many at one end and not enough of the other, and you'll have some very unhappy folks paying for the service.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
For a program such as GPS411, I'm sure it is a balancing act between accepting people who will haul the freight, and making sure there are enough carriers who have freight to broker. Too many at one end and not enough of the other, and you'll have some very unhappy folks paying for the service.

Yep... I was thinkin the same thing.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Guess yer right, don't make any difference. Just like the rest, a couple days a year I have too many, an the rest of the time, don't have anywhere near enough. That's life tho.

transporter

Expert Expediter
thx for the advice landstar not working for me they seem to be geared for big trucks.
ups does have a large air hub near me i ll try them. fedx requires more insurance than i
have right now, trying to decide if their worth increasing my insurance