looking for loads

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
thx for the advice landstar not working for me they seem to be geared for big trucks.
ups does have a large air hub near me i ll try them. fedx requires more insurance than i
have right now, trying to decide if their worth increasing my insurance

I have a million liability and 100k cargo. That seems to be something of a standard with a lot of the larger carriers. I get some good paying things from FECC, so upping the insurance to that level would be worth it.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
It seems like someone who is trying to get their feet wet on their own would be running into alot of closed doors right now. I'm half way investigating it for much farther down the road. You know long term goals. It just seems like one of those deals where everyone wants you to be up and running before they will let you haul for them, but you can't get up and running hardly if no one will at least throw you a bone. What do you have to do?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
It seems like someone who is trying to get their feet wet on their own would be running into alot of closed doors right now. I'm half way investigating it for much farther down the road. You know long term goals. It just seems like one of those deals where everyone wants you to be up and running before they will let you haul for them, but you can't get up and running hardly if no one will at least throw you a bone. What do you have to do?

Ark,

It one of those things where you have to spend money in order to make money. It's not really that mysterious. The only reason you'd have closed doors is if you don't have a basic understanding of where freight comes from and how it moves. Once you find who has the freight, you just need to be the solution to moving their freight. That's all it is.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Spend money in what way? The form of getting everything set up properly, subscribing to load boards, advertisment?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Spend money in what way? The form of getting everything set up properly, subscribing to load boards, advertisment?

In my mind, the right truck for you to be a viable player and the cost of insurance. I've made mistakes in the past with the truck thing, so I know first hand what it can cost you. Yes, 1Mil liability and 100,000 cargo is pretty standard and will get you play will most of the big boys. Then, it's up to you to work it.

transporter

Expert Expediter
you may be right about broker loads charlesd I got the impression that invoices to com from actual shippers.
I talked to fed ex i have 1 mil liabilty 100,000 cargo they said i needed more coverage than that

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes Ark, there are no guarantees in business. When you are going it alone, you WILL have to roast your own goose, then you can lift it to your face. It just don't fly in there, like soooo many expect.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It doesn't matter how many he has.
You think ?

I can real quick think of a few ways it might (.... which I may well get into shortly ....)

..... and besides can't he speak for himself ?

What I've been hearing is that gps isn't taking on one truck mom n pop companies anymore.
GPSNet .... or The Expedite Alliance ?

It would be nice if they put criteria on their website tho.
The criteria is on the TEANA website - in the downloadable PDF file for membership application.

Among the current criteria, as stated in the application of membership, is that to be an "Expediting Member" one has to have at least four trucks and less than 350 - and that to be a "New Company/Expediting Member" one has to have at least one truck and less than 350 and have been in business for less than three years.

(Wonder if the rules will change when Express-1 goes over the 350 mark .... ?)

BTW Hawk - are you leased on with a carrier - or are you running under your own authority ?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Still with a carrier.

I'm assuming TEANA has different criteria for membership than the Alliance. GPSNet is the same thing as the Alliance... or at least I, and others, use the phrases interchangably.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Yes Ark, there are no guarantees in business. When you are going it alone, you WILL have to roast your own goose, then you can lift it to your face. It just don't fly in there, like soooo many expect.

I understand the freight won't magicly appear in my trailer. I also understand that there are no guarantess, but there really aren't any of those leased on with someone else either. I just trying to figure out how one goes about getting access to these bid boards and different sites. I'm just trying to educate myself , through the help of people like you, so I can acheive my long term goals.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Still with a carrier.
Got it. Which one if I might ask ?

I'm assuming TEANA has different criteria for membership than the Alliance.
..... huh ?

TEANA is the Alliance (The Expedite Alliance of North America)

GPSNet is the same thing as the Alliance... or at least I, and others, use the phrases interchangably.
I would as well - although they have separate corporate structures, they seem to have a fairly close relationship - less than an arms length. (That's a legal phrase BTW)

The one to some extent, serves as a vehicle for the product (software and IT services) of the other. In fact, one of the principals of GPS Technologies, Stu Sutton, sits on the Board of TEANA.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yer gitting close there bud, but, no cigar.
That's ok col .... I don't smoke 'em :D

.... besides, I'm just getting warmed up anyways .... stick around :eek:

BTW, how did you find the weather in Orlando this past January ? :p

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Loved the weather there. Actually, most of the Florida climate last winter from December thru March. Too bad it has to get so darned hot in the summer. Tink i'll try the Southwest next winter tho.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
ok tell me this,you go out and get 1000000 dollar liability,100000 plus cargo insurance,your yearly bill is upward of 10000 bucks,I gues most of you are in straight trucks so no need for a 20000 dollar trailer.you already have bank full of money,must have,the customers dont have to pay for 21 days,and you have to operate your trucks.I know there is quick pay,but thats another cost,and if you use a broker thats another cost.Look im happy for anyone that can pull this off,especially if they have a fleet of trucks and depend on te average driver that could really give a crap about the equipment.But when all said and done,is your bottom line really better than if you were leased to a company,good or bad