Load boards

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone figured this out yet i know i sure cant. I am 62 miles from corpus christi which is the Laredo board and 94 miles from San Antonio but i am on that board. No one can tell me how close i need to move to laredo to get on that board so i guess you just have to dump the profits from one load to get to be on a board to get a load. This is a great system if it is intended to p#ss you off

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good news.
Check your Panther web page. The new heat maps for boards is on there. Should give you a pretty good idea of what area a board actually covers. You can click to blow up by region.
It will be at the top labeled "Board Map" with a PC miler logo next to it.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Dave, I can't find it on the drivers web. The new hotspot list is there but that's it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Go to the Board Position screen, then click Board Maps.

Why we don't have a PDF file of the entire thing, I have no idea.

In any event, it still just boggles the mind that none of these boards have anything to do with from where the freight comes. And they're gonna be proud of these maps. Betcha.

Many of these boards cover far too large of a geographical area to make board position a factor for anything other than within 50 miles out, which is what they used to do, anyway. So with all this work, we're right back to experienced people knowing where to go, inexperienced people wandering around not knowing where to go, and worse, the computer sending Empty Moves to board-name locations that is just moronic, where people will actually go there, and find themselves hundreds of miles away from the freight.

We need something that shows us where within each board the freight is coming from. Like, where within the Laredo/Corpus/Brownsville board is the freight actually coming from? That board comprises more than 17,000 square miles, and 99% of the freight comes out of five areas that make up less than 50 square miles.

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I sent a message to Jeff and he told me where to look. Since we're on a PRO right now, I can't see it. I thought it was going to be a downloaded file, so I didn't think it would be under the board positions.

We rarely accept empty moves, they just don't pay enough to move the truck.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Certainly one of the places a wireless card would be handy. Without it, you would have to copy and paste each state and drop it in a file for off line viewing.
Could probably get by with just using the major freight lane states. Don't really need WY or the dakotas.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
We rarely accept empty moves, they just don't pay enough to move the truck.

"Empty Moves are accurate and provide the ***best*** option to get a quick load. The system updates by the second. This is a great improvement in our system and you ***cannot*** make a better decision based on your years of experience. Use it and see the difference."

That's what they keep telling me.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In any event, it still just boggles the mind that none of these boards have anything to do with from where the freight comes. And they're gonna be proud of these maps. Betcha.
.quote]

Each board is named after the city in the geographical center of that area. That city is the epicenter of expedite freight. Freight concentrations are the most there and thin out the farther one goes from the epicenter. Loretto, MN and Mount Erie, IL are prime examples. Expedite freight is so dense at these locations, why its like a black hole. Get too close and you will be sucked in. Best to work the fringes until you gain more experience.

The map colors sure are pretty. I can't wait till they add the cut and scramble feature. Loads of fun trying to reassemble each state into its proper position on the map. Those pesky New England states are tough.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
we go where the freight is then check to see what board we are on,works better then going to greenpond,sc :).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
we go where the freight is then check to see what board we are on,works better then going to greenpond,sc :).
That's the problem - you know where the freight is, but that's based on experience. This whole board redesign thing was supposed to help better reposition the fleet to where the freight is, especially for the new and inexperienced. But the redesign doesn't do that. It sends you to the board name, but unless you know where the freight actually comes from, you're lost.

If the computer wants you to go to Mount Hope, AL, where do you go? Decatur? Athens? Cullman? Florence? Russellville, Tuscumbia? Certainly not Mount Hope. That's a lot of choices, and they're really far apart. If you're inexperienced, you go to Mount Hope, and find the only thing there is a crossroads of two country roads.

Where does the freight on that board come from? Most of the boards, dispatch doesn't know, either.

So we're back to the 50 miles out thing and what your experience tells you, despite what we're being told in Fleet Messages. The only difference is that now, there are tens of thousands of square miles in which to mess up. Don't even get me started on Texas.

I guess if you're going to fail at something, you might as well do so in spectacular fashion, and the board redesign is a top notch effort at spectacular failure.
sp_sign0173.gif

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I can't wait till they add the cut and scramble feature. Loads of fun trying to reassemble each state into its proper position on the map. Those pesky New England states are tough.

Those pesky New England states wouldn't fit into my map ;)

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I talked to Jeff about the maps yesterday. I explained how the lack of state routes leaves a lot to be desired , I was off of i37 you couldn’t tell where us 59 crossed it that would give a reference point that was needed. He said that is in the works to add state routes.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle, True there is alot of room for improvement,however no company can position you to be on top of loads every time. New drivers will always have to learn where the freight comes from and position themselves to get the freight. We were recently in Memphis,tn (2hr) and got a call to pu in Laporte,Tx,on a sat morn for a non haz mat load to Montreal qu. Now that was a well pd dh of 630 mi for a 1900 mi run.Were there no teams closer in Tx? According to dispatch we were the closest team that would take the load. also got aload while in the UP of mi out of Newberry to Indy reg. freight, and a load Vancouver BC to JFK reg freight all within the last month. Panther could not have positioned us for any of those loads,in fact they had mt to other places on two of them and the loads came up while we were still in the areas,also have had 4 loads out of Fl inthe past 60 days. I believe you have to use your experience(only get that through time on the job) and the load boards in combination.Isn't that why EO forum tells new drivers to have money set back when you start to help while learning the bus? I know you are very experienced and you would never go to a crossroads location, most would I imagine look at a map and use their common sense to position themselves. Tx only has two or three consistent freight produceing areas and Dallas has never been a good one for us(not quick enough anyway)
although we have been preloaded many times from Dallas ,we head for laredo , last time we del in Tx we were in brownsville and were sent to Laredo for paint, counted 4 panther trucks from the road at the J none take haz mat? the TT at the pu for aload to louisville had dh to laredo from houston same deal. Problem may be some are to picky about what they will carry. also met a van at the walmart there that had turned down 2 loads to KC as it wasn't where they wanted to go, they had been there a week and weren't leaving until they got a load to ny state and were complaining about Panther not giving them a good load. Most don't really want to work and limit themselves ,then blame their carrier,instead of keeping loaded and moving, the real key to success in expediting ,don't you think?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle, True there is alot of room for improvement,however no company can position you to be on top of loads every time. New drivers will always have to learn where the freight comes from and position themselves to get the freight.

No one, least of all me, expects the company to position trucks on top of the freight every time, or even a high percentage of the time, as historical averages for a particular location can be relied upon only just so far with respect to future loads. But, let's get real with why these board redesigns were done in the first place - they were to better position the fleet to the freight, especially for the new drivers.

Remember this classic?
"Empty Moves are accurate and provide the ***best*** option to get a quick load. The system updates by the second. This is a great improvement in our system and you ***cannot*** make a better decision based on your years of experience. Use it and see the difference."

It's been my experience with my experience that my experience gets me loaded quicker than these new, "accurate" Empty Moves will. So there.

The redesign was highly touted as being "highly accurate" and puts you in the best position for obtaining a quick load, i.e., near where the historical averages suggest future loads will likely come from, or, simply, put, "where the freight is".

After months of redesign and re-redesign, we are left with an abject failure of laughable proportions, and are right back to where we were before the redesign, namely with dispatch looking 50 miles out to see who is there. We are right back to "experience" in knowing where the freight is, as being the key to getting loads. And we're right back to the fleet positioning itself based on severely limited information, and in fact, wrong or misleading information, in light of the fact that the boards bear no semblance whatsoever of properly positioning the fleet in relation to the freight. The boards and their boundaries have nothing to do with where the freight is, and they give you no information whatsoever, none, of where on a particular board the freight does come from. The locations represented on the boards, some of them represented by "dots" alone and not even named, are meaningless unless you know the load history of those locations, but we can't get that information, and that's the very information we need as a fleet in order to self-position ourselves for freight.

That would be fine if the board boundaries were drawn to be roughly 50, 75, even 100 miles away from where the freight historically comes from. But these boards are all about carving up a state neatly by Zip Codes, without regard to freight. A victory for the IT Department, no doubt.

If all this wasn't bad enough, we get a truly silly, fleet-wide comment about the new boards like this:

"Please note that the map represents the Panther boards. The name of the board is not as significant as the locations represented in a board. When an EM is offered, it will typically be to the center of the board. Knowing the boundaries let’s you make an informed decision as to where on that board you would want to sit instead of moving to the center of the board."

I cannot begin to tell you how hard I laughed when I read that. Iced tea came flying out of my nose, and I was drinking a Diet Mountain Dew at the time.

In order to have decision be an informed one, actual, usable information must be available to be used in the decision making process. That's why it's called an informed decision.

Knowing that the board name itself is relatively insignificant, and that the locations within the board is more important with respect to where the freight is, but the knowing the board boundaries do not tell you squat about where the freight comes from within a particular board, and thus, where to sit, we're left with trying to make an informed decision with no information with which to make it.

Some (most) of these boards are so large that it not only renders board positions meaningless for anyone more than 50 miles out from a particular shipper (even though they are on the same board), as dispatch will go 50 miles out just like they always have been, but when time and distance to the pickup is paramount, it only serves to promote the wasting of time and needless deadhead unless you are experienced enough to know where on a particular board to go and sit.

Not only that, but the whole purpose of the new boards was to better reposition the fleet in order to get more loads covered, and for us to be positioned to get our next load quicker, but unless you are experienced enough and familiar enough with an area, all it does is increase your deadhead to the pickup. And coupled with the policy of not providing bonuses to cover larger deadhead miles without first offering the load to any and all available trucks within 100 miles out (to see if some idio^^^^ er, ah, newb, will take it at base rate with even more unpaid deadhead), it results in more loads being turned down due to having to eat more deadhead, or at the very least, a lot more time wasted in trying to get the load covered.

Pretty soon you have a bunch of drivers all sitting on the same board, like 9 vans sitting in a 3-a-day location on a 6-a-day board, meanwhile 100 miles away there's a 3-a-day location on the same board, with no one there.

Calling this whole mess a tour de force in mediocrity would be a compliment.

We were recently in Memphis,tn (2hr) and got a call to pu in Laporte,Tx,on a sat morn for a non haz mat load to Montreal qu. Now that was a well pd dh of 630 mi for a 1900 mi run.Were there no teams closer in Tx? According to dispatch we were the closest team that would take the load.
That happens with Canadian loads sometimes, especially those going to Montreal.

"also got aload while in the UP of mi out of Newberry to Indy reg. freight, and a load Vancouver BC to JFK reg freight all within the last month. Panther could not have positioned us for any of those loads,in fact they had mt to other places on two of them and the loads came up while we were still in the areas,also have had 4 loads out of Fl inthe past 60 days."

Well, sure, on loads like that, where there is no load history to speak of for runs like that. That's not what the boards are designed to do. They are designed to better position the fleet where there is a known history, and thus a better likelihood, of new-future loads. I've had my share of odd loads, too, and I'm in a van.

"I believe you have to use your experience(only get that through time on the job) and the load boards in combination. Isn't that why EO forum tells new drivers to have money set back when you start to help while learning the bus?"

That's part of it. It's also because people new to the business will have unexpected expenses they can't plan for. But as for using your experience with the boards in combination, you have to have a lot of experience in order to even know how to use these boards, which is pretty sad considering the purpose of the new boards is to move you to where the current freight is, rather than relying on your past experience.

"I know you are very experienced and you would never go to a crossroads location, most would I imagine look at a map and use their common sense to position themselves."

Common sense is, by definition, a sense commonly known to many or all. Without experience, you have no common sense. When the QC offers you an empty move to a location you're never heard of, and to a board you're not familiar with, common sense is a non factor, especially if you're in the middle of nowhere without Internet access to view the maps to know where the boundaries are and which locations are within that board, nor does it tell you where on that board freight comes from.

"Tx only has two or three consistent freight produceing areas and Dallas has never been a good one for us(not quick enough anyway) although we have been preloaded many times from Dallas ,we head for laredo..."

Dallas has always been good for me. Other people will tell you that Laredo is one of the worst areas to get loaded out of. So much for common sense. What's a newbie to do, especially in an area like Texas where the Laredo/Corpus Christi/Brownsville board consists of seventeen thousand square miles in which to make a decision? Someone delivers to Kingsville, where we do get freight out of, and that puts them on that board. Do they stay put in Kingsville? The board boundaries and the locations represented on the map certainly do not give any indication of the load history of Kingsville. Do the deadhead the 45 miles back up to Corpus? Or the 125 miles down to Brownsville, only to find out they should have deadheaded the 125 miles to Laredo instead, which results in deadheading to Brownsville then to Laredo for a total deadhead of 325 miles. Then they get to Laredo and get a load offer from Laredo to Los Indios. lol

"last time we del in Tx we were in brownsville and were sent to Laredo for paint, counted 4 panther trucks from the road at the J none take haz mat? the TT at the pu for aload to louisville had dh to laredo from houston same deal. Problem may be some are to picky about what they will carry."

Some may be solo and can't take the load, some may be looking for a load to the midwest and the paint goes to South Carolina, some may not want to take HAZMAT, some may be out of hours, or out of service for any number of reasons. Some are too picky about what they take, some are just plain stoopid, some want Panther to pay extra for the risks of HAZMAT (like other carriers do. I do wonder of Panther isn't charging customers for HAZMAT and then not passing it along, as most customers are accustomed to HAZMAT surcharges, but that's probably for another posting :) ).

"also met a van at the walmart there that had turned down 2 loads to KC as it wasn't where they wanted to go, they had been there a week and weren't leaving until they got a load to ny state and were complaining about Panther not giving them a good load."

Good example of just plain stoopid. And cargo vans are just loaded with just plain stoopid. Can you imagine being a dispatcher and having to deal with these just plain stoopid morons every day all day, day after day after day? <shudder>

"Most don't really want to work and limit themselves ,then blame their carrier,instead of keeping loaded and moving, the real key to success in expediting ,don't you think?"

I agree completely, which is why it's even more important to get these boards redesigned and implemented so that Just Plain Stoopid can utilize them to get loaded quicker.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I cannot begin to tell you how hard I laughed when I read that. Iced tea came flying out of my nose, and I was drinking a Diet Mountain Dew at the time.

After reading that line I did the coffee thing. And I WAS drinking coffee! Sure glad I hadn't taken a bite of my Hostess JimJam.

Turtle I will be sure to save you a spot in line for the dunk tank at the company picnic. See you there!

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ok .... i have a frustrating topic here......... hope someone can help

hey i have a very frustrating issue here.
let me see how can i explain it........
when i come to dallas...... i been parking in this 1 certain area ... which is in garland..... on nw highway.... by the 635 loop interstate ok... this location is ... also on the boarder of the garland and dallas city lines. .... it is a suberb of dallas... just like irving is to dallas only on oppisite side of town. I park here...... cause i been seeing someone for about 2 and half yrs now and they live in the mesquite area. but i am not allowed to park the truck there...... soo this is and has been a very good spot... in the parking lot of a sam's wharehouse and a frys electronics......... its safe there... anyways
ever since they changed the boards.... now.... it puts me in as being on the Moscow TX boards..!!!!
do u know where that is?????
i never heard of it.. until i looked it up.. its a 160 miles away!!!
1 dispatcher told me to move the truck......... to b on the dalals boards...... ok...... i move 1 mile.... im on the dallas boards
another dispatcher told me i can move bk to where i was.. cause garland tx IS on the dallas boards..... ok...... soo i moved bk there to where the sams is ...... it put me bk on moscow ...... this whole thing doesnt make sense. and is extremly frustrating.
now it did say i was 4 miles from garland.. and had a garland zip code posted.......... BUT .... gave me Moscow as a board......... and the dispatcher told me also .... i will NOT get any dallas load offers cause im on a moscow board.
BUT yet........ during the nite....... i had a load off that was on my QC this morning..... that they never called me on..... and ended up giving it to another truck....... now that ticked me off... it was 424 miles too...... soo i lost a load cause of i dont know why
i did tell them and always tell them i am out of the truck and reach me on the cell...... when i get out of it.
anyways......... i needed to vent here....... and looking for answers to all this frustration over the new boards
Barb

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
barb, you need to check the board map on the panther web site, garland is on the dallas board. did you call in and ask why you hadn't been called on that load offer? ask your team leader , and question why qc shows that position as being on the moscow board, it doesn't even meet up with the dallas board.it is tough for new drivers to understand whats going on, however you did get an offer where you were,so you are getting experience,where did the load pu that will help you decide in the future. hang in there it will take a few months to get the feel for where the loads come from you go to dallas a lot so learn how that area works. same thing happened to us no call while on pager but we got back to the truck and accepted , i called and they told me it was a mistake . i rarely ask dispatch about boards as they seem to know less then i do about them, and they always give the wrong answer as to what to do.your past posts have shown your frustration with the boards and panther,hope you are using these to build your experience and don't forget what youve learned with each move. goodb luck if there is such a thing!

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
turtle,
"Common sense is, by definition, a sense commonly known to many or all. Without experience, you have no common sense. When the QC offers you an empty move to a location you're never heard of, and to a board you're not familiar with, common sense is a non factor, especially if you're in the middle of nowhere without Internet access to view the maps to know where the boundaries are and which locations are within that board, nor does it tell you where on that board freight comes from."
no turtle ,common sense is looking at the dallas board , or any other board and realizing that the largest city is most likely where you should go, informed decision is made by using the tools you have and your experience . stirring the pot with out really offering any solutions is just stirring the pot! why try to rile people up with out offering any suggestions? so far you not given much in the way of assistance to the newbies ,tell them how you do it rather then complaining about boards and panthers lack of hand holding. maybe others success wouldn't be in your best interest?

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
"Some may be solo and can't take the load, some may be looking for a load to the midwest and the paint goes to South Carolina, some may not want to take HAZMAT, some may be out of hours, or out of service for any number of reasons. Some are too picky about what they take, some are just plain stoopid, some want Panther to pay extra for the risks of HAZMAT (like other carriers do. I do wonder of Panther isn't charging customers for HAZMAT and then not passing it along, as most customers are accustomed to HAZMAT surcharges, but that's probably for another posting )."
I've seen solos warned on the forums that they will sit until thur/fri for loads out of tx,looking for loads to certain destinations as an expediter?,out of hours -not teams-,dont do haz mat, don't do canada, want panther to pay more-sorry it sounds like they need to examine why they are in business-with all the limiting factors(excuses) why are they complaining about load boards-they really want to be tourists-they aren't interested in making a buck while the sun shines and will be complaining about no work in Jan.