Load boards

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
mawnin drivers........
i been with panther .... since Nov of 2005
i been to dallas a lot ......... and sitting where i always sit when i am there......
for some reason was saying i was 4 miles from garland....... and on moscow board.
i did ?? the dispatchers about it all ........... and like i posted above they kept telling me to move the truck.......
ok i moved it 1 mile.......... i iwas on dallas board.
and as i also said before........ i was on garland and dallas city lines... and it was putting me on moscow boards.. and was told on the phone...... if i stayed parked there i WILL NOT get any dallas load offers. soo i moved 1 miles across the city line and then it showed i was on dallas boards.
ok u all do the try this......... next time you get a load.....to dallas or houston and lets say u go to dallas.... from houston..... etc.
go to the sam's warehouse parking lot....... off i635 .. on north west highway... heading west..... there is also a frys electronics there and a golden corral .. heh.. ya'll should like that... lol
and a wendys and as sonic.... ok
thats where i always park at when i go to dallas.
and see where it puts u on the boards.

i am a solo ....... and getting loads out of texas..... well i know sometimes its hard sometimes its not.......
yes ...... i will do haz
yes ....... i will and do go to canada...
yes.... i watch to see how fast the boards are moving while im in texas..and depending where i am on the boards..... and then i decide to start hunting me for a back haul...
i do know a couple solo's ..... whom will not do any of this and then i hear them complain about sitting ........ OOYyyyyyyyy .. so i just shake my head at them ......and say .....
see ya .... lol and these are solos thats been with panther a spell.
i am also helpful.... with newbies.... when i run across them .....

Last edited:

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
my question is for empty moves now is it still withing 50 miles or just so you hit that board or what agian i have had dispatch tell me 3 diffent things

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
turtle,
"Common sense is, by definition, a sense commonly known to many or all. Without experience, you have no common sense. When the QC offers you an empty move to a location you're never heard of, and to a board you're not familiar with, common sense is a non factor, especially if you're in the middle of nowhere without Internet access to view the maps to know where the boundaries are and which locations are within that board, nor does it tell you where on that board freight comes from."
no turtle ,common sense is looking at the dallas board , or any other board and realizing that the largest city is most likely where you should go, informed decision is made by using the tools you have and your experience .

I stand by what I said. If you don't have the experience, you cannot have the common sense. Everything you just used up there is experience-based.

stirring the pot with out really offering any solutions is just stirring the pot! why try to rile people up with out offering any suggestions?
If you re-read what I have written on this subject, in this and other threads, you will see many suggestions of how these boards should be designed. Many of them, if not all, have also been forwarded directly to those at Panther who are in charge of this mess. Complaining without offering any suggestions is a meaningless exercise, and is something I rarely do.

so far you not given much in the way of assistance to the newbies ,tell them how you do it rather then complaining about boards and panthers lack of hand holding.
Two things here, first, the last thing I'll ever complain about is a lack of hand-holding by Panther. They will hold your hand and babysit the pee out of you, and it drives me crazy. You're 300 miles out with nothing between you and the cons except 70 MPH Interstate, and they're freakin' out 'cause you're showing 2 minutes late.

Even though it is high up on the "Action Items" list of things to get done, after many, many months there is still no way for dispatch to differentiate between good drivers and bad drivers. Therefore, they go with the lowest common denominator and treat all drivers like morons.

Second thing is, many times in these forums I have gone to great mind-numbing detail of what to do and what not to do out here, on how to work smart, and how to deal with certain situations. A few think I'm telling them how to run their business and don't like it, but others have used some of the advice to their advantage and have thanked me for it. I have no problem in offering advice on things that have worked for me. In fact, I received a PM the other day from someone who has posted the same questions in this very thread, but at the time I had just received a load and had to scoot, and I knew I would not have Internet access for a few days, and it was gonna require a lengthy response (and I'm a slow typist), so I responded with my cell phone number (something I do not give out very easily) so I could explain to them in detail their situation, and how to best handle a couple of problems. So far, the phone hasn't rung. <shrug>

maybe others success wouldn't be in your best interest?
That reminds me of when I first started expediting with Panther and was talking with another driver about places to layover in Toronto, a town which I was completely unfamiliar with at the time. (At Con-Way NOW we delivered in Canada, then came right back out, usually). He had mentioned that he knew of a couple of really good spots, near the freight, and where no one would bother him if he wanted to sleep there, and I asked him where they were. His response:

"I'm not telling you my secrets."

What a hoot. As if me sitting in one of his precious little super sekrit spots in Toronto was going to somehow have an effect on him getting loaded out of Memphis or something. What a goober. For that matter, even if we're sitting right there next to each other in Toronto, so what? It's not like one of will get a load and the other will sit there and rot for a week.

Someone else's success out here is not likely to have any kind of adverse effect on me. If anything, their success is likely to foster more loads for the carrier(s) and thus more load opportunities for me. Their failure, especially if they are with the same carrier as me, could very likely result in fewer loads. I'm all for everyone being a success.

Reactions: 1 person

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Even though it is high up on the "Action Items" list of things to get done, after many, many months there is still no way for dispatch to differentiate between good drivers and bad drivers. Therefore, they go with the lowest common denominator and treat all drivers like morons.

... morons ??? us ??? :'( ** bursting into tears here**

btw .. did i ever tell u .. u have cute turtles..... lol
and thats is a good post....... ty

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
Let me weigh in since I finally got access to post here. I've only been with Panther 3 months so perhaps I'm misguided when I look at it this way... It seems to me the whole concept of "boards" and positions is a system that applies to traditional trucking where freight goes through hubs and is swapped much like all FedEx packages go through Memphis. Since we always go from shipper to delivery we need a system that works like a rock dropped in water with the rings going outward from the position the load appears. The closest truck (within range of pickup time) that has been waiting the longest should get the first offer for the load. It just doesn't make sense to be guessing and moving empty and burning expensive fuel ....and if we continue to do it someone will come along with a more efficient system and eat our lunch.

I keep very accurate records and don't idle or move until I get a load and I'm still buying fuel for 1/3 rd of my miles. This means at the end of the month I'm buying $1,000 worth of fuel and making less than $1 per mile.

The literature they sent when I was considering working for Panther said 100% fuel surcharge and $1.20 per mile.

I can't understand why that changed to 95 cents per mile and 72% of the fuel. At this rate I'll be short $12,000 at the end of the year.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The literature they sent when I was considering working for Panther said 100% fuel surcharge and $1.20 per mile.

Those numbers are based on loaded miles. Empty miles are not included in that.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Good stuff !
Here is one :
so , now that we know where the heck the boards are,
looks like some of them are huge .
inside the board , Dose it make sense to go to where the freight is ?
or , once a truck is on the board , its on the board .
in other words , will a dispatcher skip a truck just because it is 60 mil. away ?
another one :
what are the common steps to take when an MT move offer come beeping off the QC ?

Moose.

moose

Veteran Expediter
the Panther web page.
under Driver info.
Board position .
Current board :
last coulomb:
FO Type
what is FO Type ?
as it is showing my truck as: M

a wondering Moose.

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
Those numbers are based on loaded miles. Empty miles are not included in that.

It's deceptive since you have to drive to the location to get the load. You are no longer making $1.20 per mile. You are making less than $ 1 per mile.

Also, they sent a message over qualcomm saying they calculate fuel mileage for the fixed rate at 8 mpg. The current average is about 54.60 doesn't the math come out to 58 cents? How do they arrive at the 39 or 40 cpm they offer for flat rate

They must know they are asking owners to pay for at least 25% of the fuel on every load.

And another thing.... do you think they ever total your fuel recipts and divide by the number of miles on pro to know exactly what owners are paying for fuel per loaded mile? I bet they know so they have the facts when charging customers. It makes more sense than just guessing. It would be illogical to think that a multi-million dollar company would base their rates on guesses and estimates without checking the hard facts.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Good stuff !
Here is one :
so , now that we know where the heck the boards are,
looks like some of them are huge .
inside the board , Dose it make sense to go to where the freight is ?
or , once a truck is on the board , its on the board .
in other words , will a dispatcher skip a truck just because it is 60 mil. away ?
another one :
what are the common steps to take when an MT move offer come beeping off the QC ?

Moose.

First, First Outs are:
M - Mini
E - Error (Dispatch Error)
D - Dry Run

Second, go to where the freight is. Dispatch will go 50 miles out to look who is available, regardless of what board they are on, and if no one is 50 miles out, they will go 100 miles out.

Third, "what are the common steps to take when an MT move offer come beeping off the QC"

I don't know what a Montana move offer is.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They usually go for the closest truck within range. Especially on anything farther out than 100 miles. They aren't going to pay a truck farther out if one is closer that they don't.
Good example in the extreme is if you are on the southern TX board and you are in Corpus at number one, they aren't calling you for a load in Laredo (which is on the same board) if they have a truck there. Even if you ave sat for 24 hours and that truck just pulled in. As Turtle mentioned, it is based on radius from the customer, not board position. The latter is the secondary consideration.
If one is new and unclear where to go, Look at the EM, and then look at something like getloaded. Even though it is cheap freight, it will tell you where much of the freight is being produced. We base our decisions on where the freight is, rather than board positions , maps and the like.
It may be a little different for vans, just because there are so many of them. Don't know?

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
If one is new and unclear where to go, Look at the EM, and then look at something like getloaded. Even though it is cheap freight, it will tell you where much of the freight is being produced. We base our decisions on where the freight is, rather than board positions , maps and the like.

Thanks,
Please Elaborate ,as i'm looking at the Getloaded.com , How can i understand where the freight is ?

Moose.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just type the state in and you will see what loads come out of different cities. Or, type the biggest city in, and see what loads come out of that area.
If for example you type a 200 mile radius around Little Rock, AR, you will find more loads from the Memphis TN area.
Size that up against the available trucks and then decide on your move.

Reactions: 1 person

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle,

Don't be bashful about how you feel about the load board redesign and stoopid drivers. I had to stop eating lunch in order to read your diatribe. Thanks for your words of wisdom. Your passion shows through your words. Perhaps, the folks who designed the new board system will see the problems created by the new system and fix them. We will all benefit.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I repositioned to a very small town in Virginia, and though I knew it was small, I had no idea. Not even enough room to park. I knew I should not go there, but did not care, just wanting to see what it looked like.

ps I did get a load within 5 minutes of my arrival there.

Maybe God does look out for fools.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
They usually go for the closest truck within range. Especially on anything farther out than 100 miles. They aren't going to pay a truck farther out if one is closer that they don't.
Good example in the extreme is if you are on the southern TX board and you are in Corpus at number one, they aren't calling you for a load in Laredo (which is on the same board) if they have a truck there. Even if you ave sat for 24 hours and that truck just pulled in. As Turtle mentioned, it is based on radius from the customer, not board position. The latter is the secondary consideration.
It may be a little different for vans, just because there are so many of them. Don't know?

this might be the old way but i have been told several times now that they had 2 trucks 100 miles closer to offer it to so if you want it take it at that rate