It's Sad What Happened at FedEx CC

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
Perhaps a poster has raised this question already but is it possible the plaques were removed for painting or something of that nature? How can we be sure the plaques have been removed permanently without some confirmation from a company representative?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Perhaps a poster has raised this question already but is it possible the plaques were removed for painting or something of that nature? How can we be sure the plaques have been removed permanently without some confirmation from a company representative?

Exactly! Which is why it is so curious that TeamCaffee made an abrupt exit from the conversation when asked to confirm the status of the plaques. It is not a difficult question to answer. The facts can be easily ascertained and communicated (like with a photo of the plaques and/or wall).

The lack of such an answer leads me to believe the plaques were thrown in the trash. I stand willing to be corrected.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Thank you. I understand now. It's like a politician. Answers given have no connection to questions asked.

About the "why do you care how I feel" question I asked, let me elaborte. There are two ways to ask it.

One way is to ask with the intention of finding out more about what someone means or thinks. It is asked not with ill feeling but with a genuine desire to better understand where the other person is coming from.

The other way is to ask in a defensive or offensive intent. In that case, asking "why do you care?" implies that one should not care or that one does not have the right to care.

When I asked you, "why do you care?" it was with the intention of finding out more about what you mean or think.

Since you connected yourself to Dave M., I added you into the bandwagon characterization. You used to be the biggest cheerleader for FXCC on here. Now that you're away, you can't seem to let it go. Every other thread you start has to do with how FXCC has jilted you out of some supposed birthright.

Dave is the same way, tho more subtle. He was a huge cheerleader; but now says things like "How they've tarnished the Roberts Express name."

So, the reason I care about how you feel is BECAUSE YOU ASKED. That IS the reason. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said anything about you. Personally, that's fine to me that you're concerned with the wall of fame. But all these little jabs at your former heartthrob is getting to sound like those mopin guys on HeeHaw.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thinking about this further, I should probably just let it go (as some have suggested). While I see the removal of the longevity recognition plaques as an act of profound indifference and disrespect, continuing to stir the pot does nothing good for me, my former carrier or anyone else.

The removal of the plaques was an emotional trigger for me as explained here. Simply letting it go is best.

Tennesseeahawk, your criticism of me is not totally off base, but you have no idea -- no idea -- how much personal restraint I have exhibited since leaving FedEx Custom Critical. I thought I was restrained before Diane and I left the company and have been quieter since.

Seeing me as a sympathetic soul, disgruntled FedEx Custom Critical contractors (and even some people who used to work in the office) have e-mailed me litanies of facts and complaints that if made public could fill a book. It is a book that is well within my capability to write and post online, but what would be the point beyond emotional release?

Believe me, it has been a struggle to remain as quiet as I have been about our former carrier. If you think I have been anything but quiet, it is only because you don't receive the ongoing contractor complaints and information about the company I do and struggle with the inner urge to make them public.

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
The lack of such an answer leads me to believe the plaques were thrown in the trash. I stand willing to be corrected.

You keep repeating this like you want it to be true, or that you want to make FDCC look bad.

Would you bet money that its more likely its in the trash?

Personally, I don't know FDCC but I'd bet money that they are more likely sitting in a box somewhere. I highly doubt they are in the trash.

What makes you think that some office worker would throw them in the trash? Would you throw plaques of people's hard work in the trash? I don't think the random office worker would do that. I know I wouldn't nor would anybody I know do that.

Is that how your friends and colleagues would act for you to assume that this is how people would behave?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Thinking about this further, I should probably just let it go (as some have suggested). While I see the removal of the longevity recognition plaques as an act of profound indifference and disrespect, continuing to stir the pot does nothing good for me, my former carrier or anyone else.

The removal of the plaques was an emotional trigger for me as explained here. Simply letting it go is best.

Tennesseeahawk, your cirticism of me is not totally off base, but you have no idea -- no idea -- how much personal restraint I have exhibited since leaving FedEx Custom Critical. I thought I was restrained before Diane and I left the company and have been quieter since.

Seeing me as a sympathetic soul, disgruntaled contractors (and even some people who used to work in the office) have e-mailed me litenies of facts and complaints that if made public could fill a book. It is a book that is well within my capability to write and post online, but what would be the point beyond emotional release?

Believe me, it has been a struggle to remain as quiet as I have been about our former carrier. If you think I have been anything but quiet, it is only because you don't receive the ongoing the contractor complaints I do and struggle with the inner urge to make them public.

I'm not trying to be an arse, here, Phil. Really I'm not. That's why I suggested you let it out, then let it go. Unless you feel you need to be the advocate of all jilted contractors of FXCC. I can only imagine how many people have bent over the FedEx counter to get theirs. It happens with large, uncaring companies. But this crap is consuming you, and you're better than this. You're at a better place now. Suck it up and get on with your life!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I don't know. It seems that Phil was saddened by what he thinks is permanent removal of the plaques and he posted that he felt that way. I'm not sure why anyone else cares that he feels that way. I know I don't, but I have no connection to Phil or Fedex othér than having a few friends there.

As for the plaques, they are in giant box. I was watching Storage Wars and saw Dave dig them out of an abandoned storage building Nuevo Laredo. It took a few phone calls and some negotiating, but I got 'em cheap! YuuuuuuuuuP !!!

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Time for more popcorn?

Who needs ethanol subsidies? With all this drama, I may just keep corn farmers afloat.

What an incredible waste of bandwidth.....

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Since you connected yourself to Dave M., I added you into the bandwagon characterization. You used to be the biggest cheerleader for FXCC on here. Now that you're away, you can't seem to let it go. Every other thread you start has to do with how FXCC has jilted you out of some supposed birthright.

Dave is the same way, tho more subtle. He was a huge cheerleader; but now says things like "How they've tarnished the Roberts Express name."

So, the reason I care about how you feel is BECAUSE YOU ASKED. That IS the reason. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said anything about you. Personally, that's fine to me that you're concerned with the wall of fame. But all these little jabs at your former heartthrob is getting to sound like those mopin guys on HeeHaw.

Hawk

I was one of the biggest Cheerleaders for FedEx Custom Critical for many years. I will admit I had blinders on. I THOUGHT FedEx Custom Critical cared about the success of it's contractors and drivers, which they don't. Things was great at FedEx Custom Critical until they rolled out the FSC program. When you mess with someones money they tend to get upset about it. I will say that John Elliott is a very smart man for passing on 100% of the FSC to his contractors. That is why Load1 fleet is growing and others are losing trucks. Big Fleet owners have pulled their trucks and moved them to FedEx Custom Critical, but I'm sure FedEx paid dearly for it with a nice sign on bonus to the fleet owner.

Remember Hawk I do live by FedEx Custom Critical home office and I still had friends that work there when we moved to Panther. Some of the great people that worked at FedEx CC for years now work at Panther because they was let go to cut costs. If you like getting load offers from a computer then they are the company for you. It reminds of a part in the movie HOFFA. They want to be your partner when you have a load on the truck but not when your sitting waiting on a load.

I seen that back then and still see it now with the post's I read on EO. And yes FedEx did take a great company like Roberts Express and tear it up. Fedex Custom Critical Europe was sold and one of the first things they did was change the name BACK to Roberts Express Europe. Phil and Diane moved from FedEx Custom Critical because they seen the light and could read the writing on the wall. It is sad to see a company that we all loved working for go to hell and a hand basket. Unlike Phil and Diane I still have all my Roberts and FedEx shirts, hats, coats, toy trucks, and so on.

Bruce Simpson was a great CEO and help take Expediting to the next level. Guys like Davekc, Phil, Ken Jackson, and myself helped make FedEx CC what it once was. A darn good place to work at. I loved my job there and took pride in it just as Phil and Diane did and still do with Landstar. If you don't suck up to the people their or speak up in regards to things, your loads will drop off to push you out the door. The actions on their own website shows that they have things to hide. Anyone could get a rate quote without being a member. Now you have to be a member just to see how much they are going to charge you. Why, because they don't want their owner/operators to really see what they are charging the customers for FSC.

I could name many other things but I won't. Over all the company is a great company and we never had a problem getting paid and was always paid on time. Would I tell someone that FedEx is the worse Expedite company out here? Nope just a changing company that is doing things different than others. As Leo has said many times, " All carriers have warts"

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Tennesseeahawk, your criticism of me is not totally off base, but you have no idea -- no idea -- how much personal restraint I have exhibited since leaving FedEx Custom Critical. I thought I was restrained before Diane and I left the company and have been quieter since.

Seeing me as a sympathetic soul, disgruntled FedEx Custom Critical contractors (and even some people who used to work in the office) have e-mailed me litanies of facts and complaints that if made public could fill a book. It is a book that is well within my capability to write and post online, but what would be the point beyond emotional release?

Believe me, it has been a struggle to remain as quiet as I have been about our former carrier. If you think I have been anything but quiet, it is only because you don't receive the ongoing contractor complaints and information about the company I do and struggle with the inner urge to make them public.

I'm right there with you Phil, but as Hawk said it will eat you alive as it did me after they said I couldn't drive for six months. So we pulled all the trucks, and the drivers all wanted to leave anyway. It was the best thing they ever did for us as we have grown to what will be 14 trucks the next few weeks. Less stress and more money is nice. Panther has been there for us every time. They have never let us down.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Those aren't warts. Thems tumors!

I wouldn't call a company that treats its money-makers like buffalo cookies a "good company". Me thinks you are blinded by nostalgia somewhat.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Those aren't warts. Thems tumors!

I wouldn't call a company that treats its money-makers like buffalo cookies a "good company". Me thinks you are blinded by nostalgia somewhat.

Hawk

I was being nice. I'm sure you know how I feel. You have seen some of my long crazy posts in regards to FedEx. I will leave it at that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not trying to be an arse, here, Phil. Really I'm not. That's why I suggested you let it out, then let it go. Unless you feel you need to be the advocate of all jilted contractors of FXCC. I can only imagine how many people have bent over the FedEx counter to get theirs. It happens with large, uncaring companies. But this crap is consuming you, and you're better than this. You're at a better place now. Suck it up and get on with your life!

Phil...I have to agree with Hawk here...you've always managed to stay professional...but right now you are coming off as crying, whining, jilted contractor...NOT so professional.
Move on Phil and lets start hearing about your new carrier and your stories about the present and future goals...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This isn't about the company but my experience with it. Bruno has his experience that was filtered by his values, perceptions and expectations. I did too but they were different as described below.

I was one of the biggest Cheerleaders for FedEx Custom Critical for many years. I will admit I had blinders on. I THOUGHT FedEx Custom Critical cared about the success of it's contractors and drivers, which they don't.

I did not have blinders on. I never thought the company cared about the success of it's contractors and drivers. I always knew we were a number on the dispatch board and a data point in their database. I also knew that good money could be made there and that their dispatch system was fair. When that changed, we left.

Things was great at FedEx Custom Critical until they rolled out the FSC program. When you mess with someones money they tend to get upset about it.

The modified fuel surcharge program did not bother Diane and me. The dispatch system remained fair. Money was being made. We stayed on, loud and proud to be FDCC contractors and strong company advocates. That advocacy was driven by our desire to be helpful to newbies. We were doing great, believed others could too, so we talked up the company.

Fleet owners seemed to be more disturbed by the fuel surcharge changes than single-truck contractors. That is understandable since the FSC was particular part of the formula in calculating the fleet owner/driver split. A change in the fuel surcharge would shift the results.

If the FSC affected our one-truck owner-operator operation, it was not noticed on our bottom line, either because it did not affect it much or because other factors offset any negatives the new FSC formula had.

If you like getting load offers from a computer then they are the company for you.

We liked getting load offers from a computer (over the Qualcomm unit). But when they changed the dispatch system, that experience was degraded. We did not leave the company over that issue but know some great (longevity wall, written up in the company newsletter, fantastic work ethic and professionalism) contractors who did.

The system went from one where you would welcome the beep in the truck because it meant the opportunity to see an offer, say yes or no to it, and know it was yours if you said yes; to one where numerous junk offers beeped into the truck nearly every day, and if you found one to say yes to, you would not know if it was yours until other trucks had the opportunity to take it first.

Then ghost trucks started appearing in the system taking loads that we thought we should have been in line to receive. Then, when we would call to find out why we did not get a load, we were told of a policy change that prohibited contractor coordinators from researching and answering that question.

Getting load offers from a computer worked great for us for several years. There would be no problem for us to get load offers by a computer today, as long as the system was fair and did not include a stream of junk offers that were offensive in their frequency and money losing rates.

Phil and Diane moved from FedEx Custom Critical because they seen the light and could read the writing on the wall.

Different people see different lights at different times. What one contractor reads on the wall may be very different from what another contractor reads. That is because values, perceptions and expectations differ among people.

Bruno, Diane and I were never asked to do an exit interview or survey when we left. Had you and I both completed the same exit survey, I think they would differ considerably from each other.

It is sad to see a company that we all loved working for go to hell and a hand basket.

Yes it is. Some people may not understand or appreciate the sense of loss we have over seeing the company decline, but it is there nevertheless. It was for us a great company and great opportunity for most of the time we were there. When it ceased being that, we left and felt sad that we had to.

Guys like Davekc, Phil, Ken Jackson, and myself helped make FedEx CC what it once was.

We differ here, Bruno. Diane and I did not help make FedEx Custom Critical what it once was. We were only there eight years. The company was well established when we signed on and we had no meaningful input or impact that we know of on company policy while we were there. We provided excellent customer service on every load we did but the company itself would have been the same whether we were there or not.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Move on Phil and lets start hearing about your new carrier and your stories about the present and future goals...

Open Forum members have commented before about how quiet Landstar expediters are compared to those of other companies. The longer I am with Landstar (all of two months now), the more I understand why.

When Diane and I were with FedEx Custom Critical, we felt good about the company most of the time. We believed it was a great opportunity that was available to anyone who was willing to do what we did to make the opportunity work. We encouraged people to sign on with the company because the dispatch system and work was straightforward and could be done by any able-bodied person or team with a good work ethic, professional attitude and the ability to read, write and do arithmetic at the seventh-grade level (that's not a slam, it's a fact that the business math is not difficult).

It is considerably different at Landstar and we recruit no one to the company today. We are happy to answer privately whatever questions people have. We are happy to give advice to new BCOs (Landstar's name for contractors) as BCOs so freely and graciously gave advice to us. But a Landstar business is so different and so dependent on a contractor's skill set and approach that there is no telling how someone might do when he or she begins with Landstar.

Landstar is not a newbie company. Experience is required. Landstar is not an easy company to enter. Expediters with many years of experience are turned away for various reasons that would not be an issue for other carriers. Landstar is not an easy company to stay on with. In your first year, you are essentially on probation. Things that other carriers have no problem with will get your contract terminated at Landstar.

The motivation we had to talk up FedEx Custom Critical when we were there does not exist at Landstar because it is not the case that the dispatch system and work is straightforward and can be done by any able-bodied person or team with a good work ethic, professional attitude and the ability to read, write and do arithmetic at the seventh-grade level. It's different here.

As far as our goals go, Diane and I intend to haul freight until Christmas when we will go home. We will then execute our winter driving strategy, which is to spend the first six weeks or more of 2012 at our Florida vacation home.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is absolutely great news Phil....Let me ask you this...

Do you feel any more "Independent" now?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just for the sake of clarity, might have had a impact at Roberts, but not so much at the Fed. Our length of time on the latter was short lived. When it became apparent that they were going a different direction we left. Their perception of a fleet owner/carrier relationship was and still is much different than mine. And that is not even counting all the goofy items Phil talks about.
Most look like some real unwarranted stress makers.
When it crashes, you move on to hopefully a better situation as many have.
Many carriers forget that they are really dealing with investment partners. Wow....what a concept. When they lose sight of that, you start to get the results posted throughout this thread.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That is absolutely great news Phil....Let me ask you this...

Do you feel any more "Independent" now?

No. While we are pleased to put a dysfunctional dispatch system behind us and increase our revenue, we do not feel more independent. If anything, we feel more burdened because you don't get freight at Landstar by sitting back and waiting for the beep. More effort is required.

And if you want to develop a lucrative business with lucrative freight that is dialed in exactly to your lifestyle and goals, additional work is required, as is patience because it takes time.

In other respects, we feel free. Not because of how FedEx Custom Critical was, but because of how Landstar is and is not.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No. While we are pleased to put a dysfunctional dispatch system behind us and increase our revenue, we do not feel more independent. If anything, we feel more burdened because you don't get freight at Landstar by sitting back and waiting for the beep. More effort is required.

And if you want to develop a lucrative business with lucrative freight that is dialed in exactly to your lifestyle and goals, additional work is required, as is patience because it takes time.

In other respects, we feel free. Not because of how FedEx Custom Critical was, but because of how Landstar is and is not.

This sounds to me like you are, indeed, more independent. Rather than sitting back and being dependent on the system at the Fed, you now have to be more pro-active to produce. I suspect that your professional experiences prior to getting into expediting are serving you well.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I suspect that your professional experiences prior to getting into expediting are serving you well.

Yes, it is, but that does not mean that Landstar is only for people with white collar backgrounds. It's for business people who happen to also be truckers.