It's Sad What Happened at FedEx CC

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
What I am not understanding is why someone from FedEx Custom Critical would care about why someone from Landstar and from Panther would care about FedEx Custom Critical's policy about longevity, much less why someone at Load 1 would care about why someone from FedEx Custom Critical would care about why someone from Landstar and from Panther would care about FedEx Custom Critical's policy about longevity. I Don't Know. Third base!

I need a nap over this whole ordeal of plaques on the wall and nostalgia.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I'm a contractor with Fedex CC and have 680k miles with them. I don't want to be on a wall. Also I did not stay at a holiday inn last night.

A Team I get your point, many do not. Carneggie once said "I know nothing about the steel business, I do however know how to find good people and keep them."

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have been with Fedex for 12 years and have yet to get even a letter of thanks for our service, like Phil-another pasture awaits us-hopefully much greener

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The question on this wall will be unveiled by FedEx not by me to the contractors.

How did I know that was coming! I suppose I'll have to read their stock portfolio to see what it is.

There's something about big corps and secrets... either the secret sucks for the workers/stockholders, or it wasn't really big news to begin with. From what I've read about FXCC over the years, it's been a whole lot of both.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I haven't been to Green since August of 2008 so I don't know. I can understand what Phil is saying as the wall with owner and driver names was a good thing. It's very sad to see what was a great company as Roberts Express go down hill since FedEx corp took over the grand daddy company of the Expedite world. Fenway needs to buy Custom Critical before the company value goes down even more.

Yet I remember how much you were cheering on FXCC's moves when they were on your to-do list. Now, it's Panther's turn... and even some others you aren't actually with. We call that a bandwagon fan, my friend.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yet I remember how much you were cheering on FXCC's moves when they were on your to-do list. Now, it's Panther's turn... and even some others you aren't actually with. We call that a bandwagon fan, my friend.

What do you mean exactly by "bandwagon effect?"

Recognizing excellence wherever it is seen is a good thing to do. Bruno spoke highly of FedEx Custom Critical while he was there, as did I. He, I and others have also spoken highly about companies that we are not currently leased to. What's wrong with that?

Last edited:

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
This whole thing is kinda moot, isn't it?

Positive recognition by a company, whether for a employee or a contractor, id a good thing. If a company does away with that, it's probably a bad thing.

Regarding the wall itself, it should only be sad to those who were on it, AND cared that they were. To anyone else, it's just a wall, like any other :)

To not be with the company any longer, but be concerned, or sad, about it, is not really worth the effort. I mean, one of our dogs died a couple months ago, and I'm still sad about it, but life goes on. I don't dwell on it. I respect Phil and Dianne, but sometimes feel Phil's posts about what's going on at FedEx now that they have left is sorta a round about way of dissin the company.

I also respect Bob and Linda, but of course they will be defensive of FedEx. They love working for the company and, I assume, are doing very well there.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Phil... it's like a company du jour. You and Dave M have no problems touting your current company, while dissing your former company. But the way you do it is subtly, methodically; then have a "Did I do that?" moment. Fer christsake, just come out and spurn that former lover, if you feel so strongly about what they did to you! It's alright. Just let it out! Then, let it go...

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Regarding the wall itself, it should only be sad to those who were on it, AND cared that they were. To anyone else, it's just a wall, like any other :)

Think about people who once lined themselves up behind a person, company or other entity, and then watched that person, company or other entity decline. Emotions are experienced. Interest continues. Opinions about the person, company or entity may change but interest continues because the relationship you had mattered then and matters now.

EXAMPLES

Lining up behind a person: It might be a politician, famous preacher, sports hero or even a family member. He or she was once regarded as great but then got into drugs, a sex scandal, corruption, or some other such thing that broke your heart and forced you to conclude that the person did not have the wonderful character traits you once believed him or her to have. Or something changed in that person and once-great character traits were lost.

It saddens you. Opinions and emotions may change but interest continues because this person was once an important part of your life. He or she was once someone you identified with, listened to, cheered, looked up to and/or were proud to be associated with, if only as a fan. When that person lets you down, life goes on but the let-down is never forgotten and it can serve as an emotional trigger when the person is mentioned or comes back into view.

Lining up behind a company: Same dynamics as above. Same loyalty dynamics as a sports fan who identifies with a team and wears the team colors. More involved, however, because the company is also a business opportunity and you are financially at stake in the relationship. What the company does or does not do affects directly your bottom line.

The company pride and at-stakeness shows up in other ways, like when you are in uniform at a pick up and another truck from the same company comes in and the drivers look and smell more like street people than the professionals YOU THINK all contractors should be.

Lining up behind an entity: Same dynamics as above. The importance of it varies depending on how much at stake someone puts one's self with the entity. An example may be the current Tea Party movement. For some who have become full-time activists within it, the movement means everything to them. For others less involved it is something looked on with favor but not of great importance.

The same thing can happen with a movement to save the whales or raise money for a neighborhood playground. People identify with the entity, throw themselves into it, and continue to care about it long after it gives way to something else and fades into the past.

Back to the wall, I don't care about it because Diane's and my names were on it, they never were. The removal of that form of recognition of great contractors is to me a symbol. It is an indicator. It says something important about a company behind which I once aligned myself and that I once cheered. Sadly, it says something bad.

A company that once saw fit to recognize its most loyal and longstanding contractors in a public and dignified manner has seen fit now to take the recognition plaques down (fact) and throw them in the trash (I presume, since no evidence has been offered to the contrary). It is one of many indicators that leave me feeling sad about a company in which in which I was deeply involved and of which I was once proud.

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rather than seemingly be overwhelmed with sadness, why not learn from this and treat a company for what it is, and stop forming emotional attachments with anything other than friends or family.
Or continue to burn bridges with passive aggressive threads.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil... it's like a company du jour. You and Dave M have no problems touting your current company, while dissing your former company. But the way you do it is subtly, methodically; then have a "Did I do that?" moment. Fer christsake, just come out and spurn that former lover, if you feel so strongly about what they did to you! It's alright. Just let it out! Then, let it go...

To raise the Caffee question, why do you care about how I feel?

Also, to repeat the yet unanswered question, what exactly do you mean by "bandwagon effect?"

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Rather than seemingly be overwhelmed with sadness, why not learn from this and treat a company for what it is, and stop forming emotional attachments with anything other than friends or family.
Or continue to burn bridges with passive aggressive threads.

Forgive me, but does it not seem just a little bit presumptuous to tell someone else how one should feel?

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What do you mean exactly by "bandwagon effect?"

Recognizing excellence wherever it is seen is a good thing to do. Bruno spoke highly of FedEx Custom Critical while he was there, as did I. He, I and others have also spoken highly about companies that we are not currently leased to. What's wrong with that?

You asked.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You asked.

Thank you. I understand now. It's like a politician. Answers given have no connection to questions asked.

About the "why do you care how I feel" question I asked, let me elaborte. There are two ways to ask it.

One way is to ask with the intention of finding out more about what someone means or thinks. It is asked not with ill feeling but with a genuine desire to better understand where the other person is coming from.

The other way is to ask in a defensive or offensive intent. In that case, asking "why do you care?" implies that one should not care or that one does not have the right to care.

When I asked you, "why do you care?" it was with the intention of finding out more about what you mean or think.

Last edited: