Is this it for Ron Paul?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
REAL life is NOT important.
And you figure life as a government bureaucrat is REAL life ?

LOL .... good luck sellin' that one .... :rolleyes:

Clearly, based on what has been said here in this thread and many, many others, it is far, far divorced from real life.

People that come out of that mold (and that what it is - because it serves to mold the mind into some very strange places) often have very unreal expectations and have trouble relating to the "real world" ..... as opposed to the fantasy land that exists inside goverment.

Something most of us in the private sector already know .... although confirmation every now and then is reassuring in a way ....

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I have stated what I want. Mr. Paul only meets about 20% of my "practical" needs. Theory does not count. I will vote as I always do, AGAINST the one I like least.

My "choice" as far as I see it is to not vomit when I vote, as always.

Off too bed. Sleep is FAR more important then trading barbs with anyone in here! :p

I don't know what country you're backing, but if you're for constitutional governance in the USA, Ron Paul is a lot more pure than 20%, so there must be some crazy-@$$ stuff you need in addition to constitutional governance. Let me guess: perpetual war abroad and repression at home. In that case, one of the other candidates would be perfect for you.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
You're like a guy in a singles bar who rejects a beautiful, nearly perfect woman because she's not a TEN and ends up leaving with Rosanne Barr. What are your options?
Rosie O'Donnell ? :D

.... even better: Betty Friedan :eek:

Is there a different cadidate whose better on the issues? I can tell you, emphatically, no.
Only a fool lets a lack of perfect get in the way of good.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Is anybody in the GOP field not a chicken hawk, besides Ron Paul?
Perry served in the USAF (commissioned on graduation from TA&M) starting in 1972, but in a non-combat role, flying C-130's in United States, the Middle East, and Europe until 1977, leaving the service with the rank of captain.

One could wonder whether he had political connections that got him commissioned, but he did indeed serve.

Of course, there is the matter that he was in college from '68 to '72 .... :rolleyes:

It's a little surprising given the route he went in on he didn't go for 20 and out .... who knows though ... could be a lot of different reasons ....

I'd love to see a townhall format where some member of the public could bring this up and publicly label them all as chickenhawks, except the only honorable man in Washington, of course, who'd be standing there, looking on, the only one who served his country.
Yup .... ;)

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
rosie o'donnell ? :d

.... Even better: Betty friedan :eek:
LOS can't have Jennifer Aniston or Julia Ormond so he'd rather end up going home with

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1326002237641.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326002237641.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dr. Paul served honorably in a non-combat, non-military position. I thank him for his service.

Honorable military service, unfortunately is NOT looked upon as a "plus" these days. or Obama would not be in office. It is a non-issue.

and it should not

Military service is not a precursor to leadership.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
and it should not

Military service is not a precursor to leadership.

That is not quite what I meant Greg. You are correct, military service is NOT a precursor to leadership, I have not ever said other wise. Why do I think military service SHOULD be looked at as a plus? They served their country and, most who served in the military, were willing to die for it. That, in my mind, shows a greater level of commitment to the nation.

I question Dr. Paul's leadership skills. I question his practical experience. I do NOT question his love of this country or it's Constitution. I do not believe he has the skill set for the job.
That is not demeaning the MAN.

Go ahead now and explain to me how I have no idea what I am talking about. Then I willl say that you have your opinion, I have mine and we are both entitled to them. You have your set of needs or wants for the person in that office, I have mine.

OH, don't forget the "But Joe" I like that one.:p

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So to sum up my point, I served my country by participating in the process as a responsible citizen.

But layout the problem that you don't seem to get (even though I understand your point) is Paul has been consistent in not just his message but his actions, which to me as if he has more discipline as a foundation of leadership then those who are standing next to him in all of congress. When you look at how leadership is formed, it isn't the loudmouth who is out in front speaking but those who toll the line or stay the course.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So to sum up my point, I served my country by participating in the process as a responsible citizen.

But layout the problem that you don't seem to get (even though I understand your point) is Paul has been consistent in not just his message but his actions, which to me as if he has more discipline as a foundation of leadership then those who are standing next to him in all of congress. When you look at how leadership is formed, it isn't the loudmouth who is out in front speaking but those who toll the line or stay the course.

But Greg, IF he were a leader he should have had a much greater impact and followers in the Congress, he has not accomplished that. I have no evidence that he can manage a budget. Run a work force.

I like his ideas on a small government in line with the Constitution. I don't believe he has a grasp on military issues.

"So to sum up my point, I served my country by participating in the process as a responsible citizen."

So, to sum up my point, EVERYONE should do as you say above. Many do not. Those who do are serving their country. Those who are willing to DIE for their county have shown an added level of commitment above and beyond the basic level needed for the Country to function. That kind of service SHOULD be a plus when weighing a candidates suitability.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you think that leadership qualities are based on what he garners in congress, then you are ignoring the other 99.99% of the other followers. The thing that I see is if he wants to compromise his convenctions then he would garner those followers in congress.

As for those giving their lives, too often this is done by those who are citizens.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you think that leadership qualities are based on what he garners in congress, then you are ignoring the other 99.99% of the other followers. The thing that I see is if he wants to compromise his convenctions then he would garner those followers in congress.

As for those giving their lives, too often this is done by those who are citizens.

We shall see just how many "followers" he has. I think that he SHOULD win NH, but will not. He should win it by a large margin, but likely will not. I think he has followers, loyal followers, loud ones, but not all that many, yet. We shall see. The voting has started. The reality will come out now.

Of course those who give their lives are often citizens, most who live here ARE citizens.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
We shall see just how many "followers" he has. I think that he SHOULD win NH, but will not. He should win it by a large margin, but likely will not.

Depends on if the votes are counted openly, or in secret, like in Iowa. If it's in secret, he could come in first, and still come in third.?

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Amazing, ridicule the person, seems that is all some are capable of.
Yeah, right ... watch you don't get cut by the glass falling all around you .... :rolleyes::

As to Dr. Paul, I hear lots of "talk" from him, but just as the rest running, zero specifics.
Follow the frickin' Constitution.

ONE of the things I did not like about Obama was his total lack of executive experience. Dr. Paul has none.
You can't see it because you have your own narrow, fixed ideas (some of which may unstated, and therefore hidden, thus far) to about what constitutes "executive experience" and "leadership" ....

Ideas that were formed apparently, based on a nearly lifelong career in government - a place, based on it's dis-functionality, which ought to be viewed with a great deal of suspicion, in terms of being an incubator of great minds.

Good example of this would be the following:

"A congressman is NOT in a "leadership" position. In the Federal Government ONLY the President is in a "leadership" position."

The above statement is just absolutely and totally bizarre - and completely divorced from reality - primarily because it seems entirely blind to the fact that even within the Legislative Branch there are "leaders", who act in "leadership positions" (Senate President, House Speaker, Majority and Minority Leaders, Whips, Caucus Chairs, Committee Chairs, Subcommittee Chairs, etc.)

I find it absolutely amazing that someone who spent nearly their entire professional career in government could be unaware of, or unable to see, the above.

I have seen no indication that he can turn his ideas into practical application.

In other words, he has talked the talked but never has walked the walk.
He's spent his entire career doing the one thing that all the buffoons on Capitol Hill, and in government, should have been doing themselves:

Follow the frickin' Constitution

We'll put the burden back on you:

You show us just one instance where Dr. Paul acted in a manner that was not constitutionally consistent.

FWIW, one of the biggest ways one exercises and demonstrates leadership is by setting a good example. This is something that Dr. Paul has done in spades throughout his entire life, in spades - both public and private.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If you think that leadership qualities are based on what he garners in congress, then you are ignoring the other 99.99% of the other followers.
Exactly - what it amounts to is a selective viewing of the evidence, in order to achieve the desired outcome, which comports with a specific view or outlook.

It's easy to play this sort of "game" - where one sets up a particular criteria to judge something by, and then is only willing to consider certain evidence (that fits the desired outcome), while ignoring all other evidence that doesn't fit the outcome.

The thing that I see is if he wants to compromise his convictions then he would garner those followers in congress.
Bingo.

One is obviously limited in Congress, when one is only one of many with no real power alone, and the remainder of the body is largely corrupt - and mainly set on working against you. (The equation changes substantially however, when one is vested with the power of an entire branch of government.)

To not succumb to the corrupting influences within that body, and its associated interests, is itself a major accomplishment. Very few survive it intact.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
We shall see just how many "followers" he has. I think that he SHOULD win NH, but will not. He should win it by a large margin, but likely will not.
You're playing the same game the media does - setting up scenarios which are not necessarily accurate or real - which allow one to then say "See ... I told ya ...."

Why would you even think he would win ? What reasoning is behind that conclusion ?

He's in second place, only polling at around 20% at the moment, with the front-runner polling better than 10 percent points ahead .....

It's a bizarre position (which of course, as usual, isn't backed up by any facts or reasoning to support it - just another assertion)

Add to that he got sick with a cold after Iowa and took time off to recover (and prevent it from getting worse) and lost several days that he could have been campaigning in NH. At this point in the game, that is huge.

I'd be quite happy if he can maintain 2nd, and 3rd would not be bad - particularly if Romney's support goes down, and whoever comes in 2nd, doesn't have traction elsewhere.

Although this is a marathon, and not a sprint, I'm hoping that Dr. Paul can put the pedal to the metal over the next couple of days, and actually finish with a better showing than what his poll numbers currently reflect.

I think he has followers, loyal followers, loud ones, but not all that many, yet.
I think you are correct (about the "not all that many, yet") - whether that ever happens remains to be seen ..... it's dependent on a lot of factors.

I can say one thing with a fairly high degree of certainty though - the longer he's in the race, the better chance he has.

And that's based on what has already happened - his support has steadily risen - and he hasn't seen the dramatic rise and then fall that other candidates have seen.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Depends on if the votes are counted openly, or in secret, like in Iowa. If it's in secret, he could come in first, and still come in third.?
Yup - anyone can watch the HBO documentary "Hacking Democracy" to see how it's done. It's available, free, on Google.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rlent,
I had an interesting discussion with some Army guys yesterday who could not understand Ron Paul, by the end of the discussion and thanks to that horrid apple product I had with me, I showed them why they need to take a serious look at Ron Paul.

The reason I bring this up is they were convinced that he didn't know a thing about anything. At the end of the discussion, they saw his position on the constitution and as Layout is concern the second amendment, they also understood what he (and I for that matter) are driving at about Iran and our failure in Afghanistan, some of what they knew when I said what the real threat to our national security is, is not even in either of those countries.

This is where I think if people like Layout would stop and read what Paul has said for the last few elections and see he is not winning his seat in congress by a few votes, he may understand that Paul or someone Paul inspires to run would be better for the country than what we have now. If he wins the nomination and loses the election, then he sets a new standard for the country, even if he doesn't get the nomination, he inspires people - some of which make up the tea party - to move forward and not get discouraged.