Is this it for Ron Paul?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Then no, I have no idea what you are talking about. To me a hockey stick is used to play hockey.
Well, it's specialized scientific definition, related to mathematics and statistics - so it's unsurprising that many might be unfamiliar with it. It is highly relevant to the times we live in - and it may well be relevant to the graph I posted earlier .... :D

Chris Martenson explains the meaning and significance in the following 6 1/2 minute video.

Hockey stick:

Crash Course: Chapter 3 - Exponential Growth by Chris Martenson

BTW, the Paul Campaign has raised nearly 1/2 million dollars since midnight - graph line over at the DP is at 60 degrees ....

South Carolina - The Battle of Cowpens: MoneyBomb On !:

Ron Paul 2012 Official Campaign Website

Cowpens.jpg

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, it's specialized scientific definition, related to mathematics and statistics - so it's unsurprising that many might be unfamiliar with it. It is highly relevant to the times we live in - and it may well be relevant to the graph I posted earlier .... :D

Chris Martenson explains the meaning and significance in the following 6 1/2 minute video.

Hockey stick:

Crash Course: Chapter 3 - Exponential Growth by Chris Martenson

BTW, the Paul Campaign has raised nearly 1/2 million dollars in the last 14 hours ....

South Carolina - The Battle of Cowpens: MoneyBomb On !:

Ron Paul 2012 Official Campaign Website

I like real hockey better than statistics. I like ice hockey better than politics too, but not as much as hunting or fishing, but better than football.

Sure hope that he, or any of them, are not waiting for any of my money, they are going to be waiting a VERY long time. When I do donate to candidates it is always on the local lever only and ONLY if I know that candidate personally.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nah ..... we ain't waitin' on ya ..... we got bidness to care of .... ;)

.... you can always catch up later if ya want ....

Don't to to 'catch up' or even cut the mustard! This election, as with all in the past, I am in my 'hold my nose and try not to vomit' mode. I have not heard anything, yet, that can change my mind.

Tell you what, you have Dr. Paul call me so I can ask him some VERY hard, VERY specific answers. THEN and ONLY then, IF l like his answers, I will throw him a buck or two. :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nah ..... we ain't waitin' on ya ..... we got bidness to care of .... ;)

.... you can always catch up later if ya want ....

Don't to to 'catch up' or even cut the mustard! This election, as with all in the past, I am in my 'hold my nose and try not to vomit' mode. I have not heard anything, yet, that can change my mind.

Tell you what, you have Dr. Paul call me so I can ask him some VERY hard, VERY specific answers. THEN and ONLY then, IF l like his answers, I will throw him a buck or two. :p

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Ooops ... still got that double post thingie going on I see ...

I think Dr. Paul is probably pretty busy right at the moment .... I'll see if he can work ya in tho' ..... stay close to your phone .... :rolleyes:

..... $24,000+ in the last ten minutes .... :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ooops ... still got that double post thingie going on I see ...

I think Dr. Paul is probably pretty busy right at the moment .... I'll see if he can work ya in tho' ..... stay close to your phone .... :rolleyes:

..... $24,000+ in the last ten minutes .... :eek:

LOL!! If he wants me to hire him, he can call, otherwise, it's hold your nose time. Not interested in the money, money is the root of the problem, it cannot ever be the solution.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Calling a "hockey stick graph" a specialized scientific definition is a bit over the top, I'd say.

A "hockey stick" has two primary definitions: something used to propel a ball or puck in hockey; and....wait for it.... something shaped like a hockey stick.

That the term is used to describe a statistical graph hardly qualifies it as a specialized scientific definition (much to the chagrin of the lovers of the Global Warming Hockey Stick Graph), any more than it qualifies as a specialized artistic definition because it's a specific dance step in the Cha-cha-cha, or as a specialized avionics definition because it's a procedure turn that is a standardized way of reversing course to get lined up on final approach during an instrument landing. The graph, dance step and procedure turn all are applications of the something shaped like a hockey stick definition.

When the question of "Do you know what a "hockey stick" is?", gets asked, if the "hockey stick" in question is anything other than, uhm, you know, a hockey stick, then it should be asked with the appropriate non-colloquial qualification as clarification for the principled purpose of clear communication (apt alliterations artful applied), as in; "Do you know what a 'hockey stick graph' is?", or "Do you know what a 'hockey stick procedure turn' is?", or "Do you know what a 'hockey stick dance step' is?"

When used to describe something not a hockey stick, it's technically a slang term (the jargon of a particular class or profession).

For an author to write as he speaks is just as reprehensible as the opposite fault, to speak as he writes; for this gives a pedantic effect to what he says, and at the same time makes him hardly intelligible. - Arthur Schopenhauer, author, philosopher, devout pessimist, and master of pedanticalness. (The fact that the quote is an uncomfortably accurate description of me is irrelevant.)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Yet you spend a significant portion of your time in pursuit of it"

I, however, am NOT running for office. I am providing for a family. Something that politicians frown upon.

It is money in politics that is the problem.

As to the phone call, not to worry, I am not waiting on it. I mean, really, why should any of these candidates give a flip what any individual thinks. I mean, they would have to admit that they were employees of the People instead of their rulers. They are ALL the same. Can't trust 'em as far as you could throw 'em. :p

By the way. I have watched both Red Wings hockey AND football today! NO politics. Those hockey players used REAL hockey sticks, not paper graphs! :D

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Reading through this thread reminded me of an anology I once heard;

Unfortunately some people have the intellect of a river rock. They just lie there and let everything wash over them without ever absorbing ANYTHING.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
And now, for today's entertainment, we have some apparent Catholic vs. Protestant warfare, ala the fun had historically over on the Emerald Isle ... with this little freak side-show developing out of so-called "social conservative" Jebus crowd:

Activists say pro-Santorum vote was rigged

A civil war is breaking out among evangelical leaders over allegations of a rigged election and ballot stuffing at a Saturday gathering of religious and social conservatives.

At the meeting about 150 religious conservative activists at the Benham, Texas, ranch of Nancy and Paul Pressler, Rick Santorum supporters claimed the former Pennsylvania senator was chosen on the third ballot as the consensus candidate to try to stop Mitt Romney’s march to the Republican presidential nomination.

The meeting was called to avoid a continued division within social conservatives’ ranks.

But in back-and-forth emails, Protestant fundamentalist leaders who attended – most of them backing former House Speaker Newt Gingrich to be the anti-Romney candidate — are accusing Catholic participants of conniving to rig the vote.

They said they were conned into leaving after the second ballot on Saturday. They said pro-Santorum participants held a third ballot which Mr. Santorum won with more than 70 percent of the vote — far higher than the nine-vote margin he won on the first ballot.

“My view is that the vote was manipulated,” said a prominent social conservative who asked not to be named.

Now, a prominent evangelical political organizer is saying to others confidentially he has evidence that in a least one instance a participant was seen writing Mr. Santorum’s name on four separate ballots and putting them in the ballot box.

Evangelicals who left after the second ballot are now calling on Bob Fisher, a leader of the proceedings, to hold a recount.

Mr. Fisher has asked for a conference call Monday morning with Mr. Santorum and those who attended the Saturday meeting.

Mr. Santorum is a Catholic and Mr. Gingrich is a Baptist turned Catholic. He has the support of major Protestant evangelical leaders who say he is the only candidate of sufficient political stature and experience to make a credible run against Mr. Romney, the former Massachusetts governor whose Mormon faith and changing political beliefs have left many conservative voters seeking alternatives.

Mr. Romney won Iowa’s caucuses by eight votes over Mr. Santorum, but won New Hampshire’s primary more handily. He holds a lead in the polls heading into next weekend’s South Carolina primary, though that lead could easily disappear if conservative voters here unified behind a single alternate candidate.

Vote rigging by (so-called) Christian Conservatives ?

Say it ain't so !

Methinks the emperor has no clothes ....

Activists say pro-Santorum vote was rigged

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Well, it would be a bit unusual. First, election fraud is almost entirely the province of the left. Second, when it is on the relative-right, it's usually the RNC stabbing one of their own in the back.

2012: Ron Paul or not at all.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Well, it would be a bit unusual. First, election fraud is almost entirely the province of the left.
Nah ...... it is entirely the province of the corrupt - and the left has no lock on that - the right is just as guilty (believe me - I've been there and seen it)

If you want to understand how that's true, then scope out the video documentaries "Hacking Democracy" or "Murder, Spys and Voting Lies" (in 7 parts)

Second, when it is on the relative-right, it's usually the RNC stabbing one of their own in the back.
There is no shortage of back-stabbing by anyone who is motivated by a lust for power.

2012: Ron Paul or not at all.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.
Agreed - and well said.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
ppppolls tweets:

"39% of Texas Republicans think Perry's campaign has hurt the state's image. Only 28% say the same about Ron Paul"

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Didja see the laugh-out-loud "hit piece" on the First Class flights thing? They didn't even try to hide the fact that it's a hit piece. And you have to read deep into the article to see that (A) most other congressional members do the exact same thing, and (B) Paul's books were the only ones to be opened wide enough to actually be transparent, while everyone else was, uhm, less-than-forthcoming with any details.

I really like how they point out that Paul routinely returns a really lot of money from his office to the treasury, and the "reporters" used that to say, in effect, 'yeah but, yeah but, yeah but if he flew coach he could return even more money!' (despite the fact that his office is the only one who routinely returns money). What a hoot.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Didja see the laugh-out-loud "hit piece" on the First Class flights thing? They didn't even try to hide the fact that it's a hit piece. And you have to read deep into the article to see that (A) most other congressional members do the exact same thing, and (B) Paul's books were the only ones to be opened wide enough to actually be transparent, while everyone else was, uhm, less-than-forthcoming with any details.
Yup - the fact that the original article was authored by the AP makes it all that more insidious - because it gets picked up and echo-chambered as "truth" - rather than exposed for the false propaganda that it is.

I really like how they point out that Paul routinely returns a really lot of money from his office to the treasury, and the "reporters" used that to say, in effect, 'yeah but, yeah but, yeah but if he flew coach he could return even more money!' (despite the fact that his office is the only one who routinely returns money). What a hoot.
Indeed .....

Fortunately for the people of the State of Kentucky, and of our nation, the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree on which it grew:

Sen. Rand Paul Refunds $500,000 of His Budget to U.S. Treasury

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Tomorrow looks to be a very big day for the Paul Campaign - as he will apparently pick up the endorsement of three social and fiscal conservatives South Carolina State Senators. This will be in addition to yesterday's endorsement from South Carolina State Senator and rising Tea Party Rockstar Tom Davis:

TRIO OF FISCAL, SOCIAL CONSERVATIVES TO BACK PAUL AT S.C. STATE HOUSE EVENT ON TUESDAY

Three State Senators in the socially conservative South Carolina Upstate will endorse U.S. Rep. Ron Paul’s presidential bid on Tuesday, sources tell FITS – another sign of the Texas Congressman’s growing momentum as the Palmetto State’s pivotal “First in the South” presidential primary approaches.

FITS is in the process of confirming the names of the three Senators, but we’re told all three are “fiscal conservative rock stars” as well as die-hard social conservatives … (i.e. the sort of people who were recently urged to back Rick Santorum).

News of the endorsements comes one day after Paul’s campaign scored a major coup by landing the endorsement of Lowcountry S.C. Senator Tom Davis – arguably the most influential conservative lawmaker in state government.

“Ron Paul’s record matches his rhetoric, his fiscal plan matches the fiscal challenges that our nation is facing and his movement represents the taxpayers whose interests have been ignored in the political process for far too long,” Davis said in a statement endorsing Paul. “I’m also endorsing him because unlike what the pundits have led you to believe, he is the candidate who gives the Republican Party the best chance to beat Barack Obama in November.”

The trio of Senators will endorse Paul at an event in the S.C. State House on Tuesday at 10:00 a.m.

TRIO OF FISCAL, SOCIAL CONSERVATIVES TO BACK PAUL AT S.C. STATE HOUSE EVENT ON TUESDAY

More on who these individuals may be can be found on the blog of South Carolina State Senator Kevin Bryant:

State Senator Kevin Bryant - Blog From The Back Bench

Last edited: