Is this it for Ron Paul?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
PPP Poll Third to Confirm Paul SC Surge, tweeting:

Big gainer since last week in our SC poll: Ron Paul. Big loser since last week: Rick Santorum. Little change for most others

Mitt Romney continues to hold a modest lead in South Carolina's Republican primary for President. He's at 29% to compared to 24% for Newt Gingrich, 15% for Ron Paul, 14% for Rick Santorum, 6% for Rick Perry, 5% for Jon Huntsman, and 1% for Buddy Roemer.

Romney leads in SC, Paul gaining

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Any candidate is going to be happy with positive reporting regardless of the source.
Of course ;)

Like I said: the real trick is getting the media to carry your message (which of course presumes that one actually has a coherent, consistent message in the first place ..... :rolleyes:)

Fox and CNN and others are only running a story that might get mentioned a couple of times on that given day to very limited markets.
See, that's the thing - at the point where you become news .... it isn't just Fox and CNN - it's them ... and MSNBC, C-SPAN, Current, LinkTV, the broadcast channels (local and national newscasts)

I've been surprised at the amount of (positive) coverage that Dr. Paul has gotten on our local nightly news here in NEO ....

Deep pockets will likely win the race.
That could be .... but the real question is, is it only that the deepest pockets win - or can someone with relatively deep pockets pull it off ? .... :D

A handful of positive stories just can't provide the traction that someone can who is running an ad on the hour on virtually every channel.
Well, I suppose that might be true ..... if you think that simply repetitively hearing a 30 or 60 second spot will convince and motivate a voter to support a candidate to vote.

My guess is: that is not exactly how it works ....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One cannot demonstrate or exercise "leadership" unless they are in a "leadership" position. Right now, and this goes for ALL of the bums running, it is ALL TALK! None have ANY responsibility at this point, and NEVER will, unless elected. Then and ONLY then will we learn if they are a "leader" a "boss" or a bum, AFTER it is too late.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Sigh .... let the education continue I suppose ...... :rolleyes:

One cannot demonstrate or exercise "leadership" unless they are in a "leadership" position.
You seem to have some very fundamental misunderstandings about the definition and true nature of leadership ..... which seem to largely stem from having (willingly :rolleyes:) participated in large, structured (governmental) organizations ....

As to the definition, one such definition is:

Leadership has been described as the “process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task".

By necessity, one who leads has people who follow, and contribute to an attainment of the goal that has been at least voiced (if not originally envisioned) by the one leading ....

Right now, and this goes for ALL of the bums running, it is ALL TALK! None have ANY responsibility at this point,
ROTFLMAO ..... again more fundamental misunderstandings on the nature of responsibility.

In fact, what it seems you are saying above (given the context) is no one has any culpability or accountability at this point (something which I would argue is also incorrect, but nevertheless ....)

At it's basic, "responsibility" is simply the willingness and intention to control something .... and then doing so ...

At that point one is "responsible" for it .... it actually isn't really any more complex than that ....

Responsibility isn't necessarily something one is assigned ..... although for those who have spent an inordinate amount of time in organizations which limit individual responsibility, and where responsibility is assigned via orders from headquarters, the confusion is quite understandable ....

and NEVER will, unless elected.
Those that are blind, have little hope of ever seeing ......

Then and ONLY then will we learn if they are a "leader" a "boss" or a bum, AFTER it is too late.
I'm beginning to believe that willing and active participation in a government enterprise as an adult may actually be more detrimental to the human intellect ... than forced participation in the public school system as a child ......

At least the child is often smart enough to rebel against the forced indoctrination in bizarre group-think ...... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My former "job" has NOTHING do to with how I look at leadership. I don't understand why you insist on saying that. I learned more about "leadership" on the fireline than I did any where else. Got a interesting look at both sides at the same time, having both to follow and lead, with lives and property on the line, not theories.

I had a "fire boss". I had my own "fire crew". I took orders from the "fire boss" and gave them to my "fire crew" and lead them into "battle" so to speak. NO one got hurt and we accomplished our goals. Leadership in ACTION, not words.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
A very in-depth and interesting article from Reason about who we are - it might not be who one thinks, and I would submit that "who" is changable (as the message gets out more and more):

Ron Paul Rising: Evidence from National Polls on Ron Paul’s Supporters

Goin' vertical :D:

ronpaul_voteshare.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What do you mean, "who we are"? Is that anything like "finding yourself"? I know who I am, have known for a VERY long time. Who are you? :confused::p

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
What do you mean, "who we are"? Is that anything like "finding yourself"? I know who I am, have known for a VERY long time. Who are you?
You should go find a fire you can actually put out ... 'cause this one ain't one of them :rolleyes: .... or otherwise do something useful and productive ....

BTW - do you know what a "hockey stick" is ? :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You should go find a fire you can actually put out ... 'cause this one ain't one of them :rolleyes: .... or otherwise do something useful and productive ....

BTW - do you know what a "hockey stick" is ? :p

Yep, used to play hockey when I was younger. One of the reasons my knees are shot now. Duck hunting and "Gandy Dancing" did not help them. ALL the "sins of youth" come back to "bite the butt" (or knees in this case) of the aging.

AS to the rest, past the age of firefighting. :( I DO miss it! Miss running ambulance too. I AM doing something "useful and productive" I am EARNING a living. There is nothing more productive than that! :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why would the "endorsement" of just ANOTHER politician be important? Besides, never heard of him! Don't live in SC any longer.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
One of the reasons my knees are shot now. Duck hunting and "Gandy Dancing" did not help them. ALL the "sins of youth" come back to "bite the butt" (or knees in this case) of the aging.
Yup - mine are shot from: 1. running (in my youth) 2. standing on concrete all day long for many years (also in my relative youth) 3. standing on a steel deck for 18 hours a day, while working, in heavy seas.

The last one was what really did them in tho'.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Why would the "endorsement" of just ANOTHER politician be important?
Opinion leader: noun, definition:

Individual whose ideas and behavior serve as a model to others. Opinion leaders communicate messages to a primary group, influencing the attitudes and behavior change of their followers. Therefore, in certain marketing instances, it may be advantageous to direct the communications to the opinion leader alone to speed the acceptance of an advertising message. For example, advertisers may direct a dental floss promotion to influential dentists or a fashion campaign to female celebrities. In both instances, the advertiser is using the opinion leader to carry and "trickle down" its message to influence its target group. Because of the important role opinion leaders play in influencing markets, advertisers have traditionally used them to give testimonials.

Besides, never heard of him! Don't live in SC any longer.
LOL ..... you assume to that my post was necessarily part of a conversation I was trying to have with you - it wasn't.

It, in that particular instance, was simply a post I was making in a thread.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"LOL ..... you assume to that my post was necessarily part of a conversation I was trying to have with you - it wasn't."

Nope, just bored. Getting sleepy. Really have nothing else to do either. I bet my posts "look better" now that I have 4G! Not all that much faster but it does not seem to crash as often.

Too bad I have no computer, mine crooked. Using my wife's now.

Good night sun, hello moon.

And I REALLY don't care one flip who endorses who. I make up my mind based on what I believe is needed. NO ONE out there can do that for me.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Nope, just bored.
Fair enough :D

Getting sleepy. Really have nothing else to do either. I bet my posts "look better" now that I have 4G! Not all that much faster but it does not seem to crash as often.
LOL .... dunno ..... but the double posting seems to be happening less ....

Too bad I have no computer, mine crooked. Using my wife's now. Good night sun, hello moon.
Pleasant dreams.

And I REALLY don't care one flip who endorses who. I make up my mind based on what I believe is needed. NO ONE out there can do that for me.
I don't doubt it one bit ;)

However, there are many who look to others whom they respect for their insights as well as their own ..... since no one has a monopoly on wisdom ....

Ultimately, it is always an individual decision tho' ....