How many HATE this?

guido4475

Not a Member
What gets me is when shippers/receivers try to unload a van while it is on an elevated ramp, not level. Especially the ramps that are at a real bad angle.I try to politely explain to the forklift operator that it will be a lot easier if we work at on a level surface, but he insists we do it his way.Fine.you're the boss. So he fights with the freight, because now he has to get his forks under the freight at a angle, tearing things up in the process.Then we have to use my chain, and pull the freight out, at an upward angle.Sometimes people just don't get it, I guess.....lol..

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hate dealing with the attitude and lack of ambition that is prevalent at 98% of all union shops.. and boy do they like to throw their limited ability to do something " not in my job description "... as far as I am concerned they can all take their union butts to mexico with their roseta stone spanish progams , and bake some twinkies for pesos

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I just like the fact that every company thinks that everyone should know they system that THEY use. No need for signs, or instructions it should be completely understood and NO questions asked :rolleyes:
Yep. You check in at the orifice (or with an orifice) and they axe, "What dock are you in?" Well, you tell them didn't back into one because most places want you to check in first, so they look at you like you're the world's biggest idiot. Then you take that shipment to another location of the same company and you figure you back in first at this company. Then you go check in with that orifice and they say, "Put it in dock 9." Well, you're already in dock 5, and once again, you're the world's biggest idiot, and they don't care that the other place...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hate dealing with the attitude and lack of ambition that is prevalent at 98% of all union shops.. and boy do they like to throw their limited ability to do something " not in my job description "... as far as I am concerned they can all take their union butts to mexico with their roseta stone spanish progams , and bake some twinkies for pesos

I'm sure they feel the same when asking us [drivers] to remove debris, or do an inside [& upstairs] delivery that wasn't expected, and we explain that dispatch & the customer need to approve it first.
Or are you 'ambitious' enough to just do it on your own, against carrier policy & without pay?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
with my sprinter van i tellem how were going to off load or load
i don't care how long they take first 30 mins is free than go on clock
also with rollers don't have to worry getting load to back of van

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sure they feel the same when asking us [drivers] to remove debris, or do an inside [& upstairs] delivery that wasn't expected, and we explain that dispatch & the customer need to approve it first.
Or are you 'ambitious' enough to just do it on your own, against carrier policy & without pay?

have done it many times without dispatch approval and being paid... it is called customer service and it is just easier to do it than go through the hassle.. besides the i can get back on the board, the sooner I am rolling on another job.. making alot more than I would being paid through dispatch
see once again making decisions and taking personal responsibility..

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you should never do anything that is not on bill, if customer ask you to take it 2'nd floor
and you get hurt insurance is not going to cover that
because they would say if you hadn't done that you wouldn't gotten hurt
also you are cheating yourself out of money
if they don't say to do it on bill won't do it and explain that it is a insurance issue and if i get hurt
i will have to sue them that usally take's care of issue

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
with my sprinter van i tellem how were going to off load or load
i don't care how long they take first 30 mins is free than go on clock
also with rollers don't have to worry getting load to back of van

What kind of roller system do you have?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you look up george mcdonald in life style's sept of 04 give you ideal of what i have

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
have done it many times without dispatch approval and being paid... it is called customer service and it is just easier to do it than go through the hassle.. besides the i can get back on the board, the sooner I am rolling on another job.. making alot more than I would being paid through dispatch
see once again making decisions and taking personal responsibility..

As long as you understand that your decision may leave you taking responsibility for a lot more than you bargained for, [because Geo's correct: anything goes south, you'll be holding the bag], then that's your choice - but it's not customer service, it's your impatience to get back on the road. I understand that, but I'm not gonna risk my livelihood to do it. Nor am I gonna unload the truck without getting paid - same as a union member won't do a job he doesn't get paid to do.
Course, we both make exceptions now & then, lol.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well there are quite a few Companies that are sort of like that. Many dont call in and want an inside delivery or at least its not on the Load Op or in the notes. But there are a few companies that got rules that their lumpers can not go in your trailer and you must take it off the trailer your self and or load it your self. Even though it don't say it in the notes and they use the same excuse INS Issue.
I just smile just unload it or load it. No Biggie. The customer is happy and so am I.
Its not worth making a fuss over a little work. I Just do it. so When its a messed up I just laugh put on smile and do what the customer wants. At the end of the day I shake my Head and laugh.
Going up 4 floors is one thing but just off the trailer and into the warehouse dock area tis nothing.

Hope everyone had a Fabulous Thanksgiving and is Having a Wonderful Weekend full of shopping Fun!!!

Last edited:

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As long as you understand that your decision may leave you taking responsibility for a lot more than you bargained for, [because Geo's correct: anything goes south, you'll be holding the bag], then that's your choice - but it's not customer service, it's your impatience to get back on the road. I understand that, but I'm not gonna risk my livelihood to do it. Nor am I gonna unload the truck without getting paid - same as a union member won't do a job he doesn't get paid to do.
Course, we both make exceptions now & then, lol.

This completely explains your lack of understanding on many topics...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This completely explains your lack of understanding on many topics...
Actually it doesn't. She's spot on. Your views on it being a simple customer service aspect are extremely short-sighted, and while it doesn't necessarily indicate a complete lack of understanding, it indicates a significant lack of understanding of what a Bill of Lading is, what is to be on it, and what it is for. A BOL is far more than just pieces and weight and addresses.

Not only does a BOL have to have pieces and weight and addresses, but service times, whether the times are guaranteed or not, carrier name(s) and phone numbers, tariff rates, form of payment accepted, the order for service (accessorials), value of the freight, lots of stuff. Granted, these days, most of these things are stated on the electronic House Bill of Lading that we as drivers do not see, but they are there just the same.

"have done it many times without dispatch approval and being paid... it is called customer service
No, it's called doing things outside the scope of the load contract, doing things you are not authorized to do. Customers contract the carriers, and thereby us, to do specific things. Things like inside delivery, liftgate service, hand load/unload, debris removal, these are all accessorial services that are to be noted and chargeable on the Bill of Lading as part of the order for service (which is a specific type of document). When we go outside of the scope of load contract, we open ourselves up to not only uninsured injury, but any number of liability issues, not the least of which are freight damage and breach of contract. Expedite is 99% no-touch freight for a reason, it's because 99% of it is contracted specifically to not be touched.

According to the FMCSA, in part § 375.505:

(a) You must issue a bill of lading. The bill of lading must contain the terms and conditions of the contract. A bill of lading may be combined with an order for service to include all the items required by § 375.501 of this subpart. You must furnish a partially complete copy of the bill of lading to the individual shipper before the vehicle leaves the residence at origin. The partially complete bill of lading must contain all relevant shipment information, except the actual shipment weight and any other information necessary to determine the final charges for all services performed.

The order for service found in § 375.501 includes "A complete description of any special or accessorial services ordered and minimum weight or volume charges applicable to the shipment".

and it is just easier to do it than go through the hassle.. besides the i can get back on the board, the sooner I am rolling on another job.. making alot more than I would being paid through dispatch see once again making decisions and taking personal responsibility..
You see that as making decisions and taking personal responsibility, but the simple fact is you are doing something you are not authorized to do and have no right or authority to make those kinds of decisions with someone else's freight and load contract. You are quite literally in breach of contract when you make those kinds of decisions. If something goes wrong, even if you had nothing to do with it, you're on the hook for it, because you took personal responsibility for it.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You see that as making decisions and taking personal responsibility, but the simple fact is you are doing something you are not authorized to do and have no right or authority to make those kinds of decisions with someone else's freight and load contract. You are quite literally in breach of contract when you make those kinds of decisions. If something goes wrong, even if you had nothing to do with it, you're on the hook for it, because you took personal responsibility for it.[/QUOTE]

Yup you are right on all counts... But in the real world of business GOOD customer service requires stepping outside the obvious occasionally.. Sorry I did not clarify my root understanding, it would have saved you the typing lesson!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
GOOD customer service mean providing the service you are contracted to provide. It doesn't mean stepping outside the bounds of the contract, be it obvious or otherwise.

As for typing lessons, would you like a lesson on how to quote text?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
GOOD customer service mean providing the service you are contracted to provide. It doesn't mean stepping outside the bounds of the contract, be it obvious or otherwise.

That line is fine and to have no flexibility is not always the answer. As with anything either side can be taken to the extreme.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Anyone I ever drove for had a company policy in place to deal with customer requests. Most of them said to call dispatch before performing any unauthorized customer requests. Most requests were honored. Some were paid and some were not.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That line is fine and to have no flexibility is not always the answer. As with anything either side can be taken to the extreme.

I agree, but if you do something extra be prepared to accept any consequences if things go wrong.

When I was in LTL I would pick up first thing in morning at a large hair care manufacturer and do a live load off of a conveyor belt. The people I dealt with were all very nice. Every Christmas I would get a couple of boxes full of various hair care products; hair spray, mousse stuff, gel, shampoo, conditioner etc. Yeah, for those that have met me the irony is obvious.

Occasionally one of the two truckload carriers that serviced them couldn't get a local driver in to move a trailer. They would ask me to pull a trailer or spot one for them. I would willingly help them out and it got me off the conveyor belt. Also doing this small deed scored me another box of their products. One day my terminal manager thanked me for pulling a trailer and spotting one, it was his account. He also said if anything went wrong, like dropping another carrier's trailer or ripping a door off, it was my donkey(not a reference to Mexicans. I would say âss but it would probably get me banned) out the door. I continued to spot trailers for them and delight my family, friends and neighbors with free hair care products.

In expedite I have operated forklifts to unload, help package parts and stack and wrap pallets, but never in a union shop! Just beware and willing to take responsibility if things go wrong.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I obviously managed to do it good enough for you to be able interpret my meaning and leave your snarky remark... I guess there are different meanings to ideals depending on if you live in a black and white world or are able to walk in the grey when necessary..

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I obviously managed to do it good enough for you to be able interpret my meaning and leave your snarky remark... I guess there are different meanings to ideals depending on if you live in a black and white world or are able to walk in the grey when necessary..

People who make snarky remarks ["This completely explains your lack of understanding on many topics"] complaining about snarky remarks [which aren't, BTW] are hilarious.
Broad and unsubstantiated derogatory remarks directed at someone, though - that's just ignorant.