How many HATE this?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expedite is a cakewalk. I'm with Xiggy on the 99% thing. Most shippers/receivers are happy to see me or at the very least, neutral. The other 1%, are a minor annoyance. If you really truly want to feel what it is like to be invisible, spend some time in a grocery warehouse. Once they do acknowledge your presence, you will wish they would go back to ignoring you.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I rarely have a problem with the people [security, clerks, forklift drivers], my problem is with a system that provides a mailing address [for a truck delivery] and customers who fail to provide clear signage [or any visible address] so I'm trying to find where I need to go when I get there [often in the dark, on a street that's busy with 4 wheelers who know where they're going & are in a hurry to get there].
I'd much rather be watching the traffic than distracted by the need to search for signs that may or may not even exist. And addresses - it would be much safer if businesses were 'encouraged' to display an address visible [and readable] from the street, IMO, because way too many don't bother.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Many moments of be perplexed, ticked off, can be overcome by a tube of superglue injected in the correct spot. Be creative, works every time. Childish, yes, effective, yes again.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Just a question. After recieving load info. from dispatch, do you the driver ever call the shipper/reciever office for directions ? What little experience with GPS, I have had is that the GPS will get you in the ballpark and still leave the driver hunting for the correct location.:confused:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Depends on the GPS. Garmins tend to be more accurate than the others, but there are plenty of locations the Garmin cannot find, but Google Navigator on the Droid can. If I go to where the Garmin and Google Navigator tells me to go and the place I'm looking for ain't there, and I've driven around a little and still cant find it, and a Google Web search still offers me nothing, I'll call and get directions. Sometimes these places are stuck back in a nook or cranny and you just can't find them without directions.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I like the notebook paper sigh that says report to office prior to docking your truck posted inside building on office door

tknight

Veteran Expediter
That would be nice if you have the number handy half the time I don't even know the original carrier hired for the job stuff trickles downhill sometimes 5 or more time through the broker network

whistler

Active Expediter
Honestly, I don't have a gripe in the world with shippers or receivers. Except that is when they ask me to dispose of a pallet! Who do they think we are?

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
That would be nice if you have the number handy half the time I don't even know the original carrier hired for the job stuff trickles downhill sometimes 5 or more time through the broker network

Thanks tknight.

Yes that is a problem, quite frequently, I was also told that the brokers do not want the carrier driver, who is picking up load contacting the shipper. I was thinking possibly internet search once you had the name of the shipper/reciever for contact info.

jimmy

Last edited:

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Depends on the GPS. Garmins tend to be more accurate than the others, but there are plenty of locations the Garmin cannot find, but Google Navigator on the Droid can. If I go to where the Garmin and Google Navigator tells me to go and the place I'm looking for ain't there, and I've driven around a little and still cant find it, and a Google Web search still offers me nothing, I'll call and get directions. Sometimes these places are stuck back in a nook or cranny and you just can't find them without directions.

Thanks Turtle.

We were using the Garmin GPS . I was wondering if the gps coordinates of the shipping/recieving dock would help? Assuming you had the coordinates of course.

jimmy

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
In places that the actual dock does not match the address (across the tracks, down a half block, around the bend, etc) and it's a place I know I may be coming back to, I add the gate entry to my GPS Favorites. THEN you have the coordinates you can give to others. Or to just simply use to find easier next time yourself.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We do the exact same thing.
I wish everyone that does a military load would send our carrier the coordinates of the new,post 911 truck gates.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Dang..Your wanting coordinates to a military gate. For some reason I really doubt carriers would send that out..But hey maybe Im wrong.
I would be happy just to get a P-up number with every load profile sent to the truck. Im willing to bet they come with each winning bid. :)
That just may shave a hour or so off my log book each week by getting me loaded and off the docks faster..
It would also free up their phones also saving valuable man hours in the office. Just this simply act would make everyone more efficient.

How many times have ya heard: Yep we got it right here and ready to go but we need your P-up number.
(20 mins later we are loading the truck instead of rollling)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks Turtle.

We were using the Garmin GPS . I was wondering if the gps coordinates of the shipping/recieving dock would help? Assuming you had the coordinates of course.

jimmy
I would imagine so, but my particular model of Garmin (c550) does not have the ability to enter coordinates, It doesn't even tell you what your current coordinates are (unless you go into the diagnostics mode and look). It's retarded.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I rest my case this desk is at least 100ft into the dock area around a corner

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByEO Forums1353382861.399295.jpg
    ImageUploadedByEO Forums1353382861.399295.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 30

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I would imagine so, but my particular model of Garmin (c550) does not have the ability to enter coordinates, It doesn't even tell you what your current coordinates are (unless you go into the diagnostics mode and look). It's retarded.

Turtle,when you drive a real truck you invest in a real truck gps.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually, the c550 was top of the line when it came out. With updated firmware and maps, it's still as good or better than most units on the market. I've only with they I could input coordinates about the times in the last 6 or 7 years since I got it, and every one of those times has been well off the beaten path, like at gold mines in Nevada, or 35 miles down dirt roads at military installations in Idaho. If I truly NEED coordinates, those are easily obtained from the phone or the QC.