How many HATE this?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I obviously managed to do it good enough for you to be able interpret my meaning and leave your snarky remark... I guess there are different meanings to ideals depending on if you live in a black and white world or are able to walk in the grey when necessary..
The difference is, I stayed on point with the issue, while you strayed from the issue in order to make a personal remark with the typing lesson snark. When you do that, it should not surprise you to receive a snark in return.

All that people here after telling you is, you can choose to remain ignorant about the basics of your job, like many expediters do, or you can learn what a Bill of Lading and an Order of Service is and why the FMCSA has specific regulations defining their use and purpose, so that you can be fully aware of the consequences and responsibilities of deviating from or dismissing those regulations and the contract they are based on.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One of the things about expediting that just gets my blood pressure BOILING is you have a pick up at a huge plant and you're ALWAYS in a hurry, and you finally drive around and find the "SHIPPING" department. Most of the time no one is there, especially on third shift, and when you do finally find somebody, they tell you you have to go around to "RECEIVING"
So you say, "UH, well I'm picking up not delivering." They look at you like you're a splat of bird poop on a new car windshield and say very rudley, "YEAH! You have to go around to receiving like I said!" If you DARE to challenge them you are setting yourself (and your company) for some "professional" verbal abuse, so it is best although almost impossible to keep your mouth shut!
It can work the other way also...you have to go to "SHIPPING" to make a delivery! Anyone know why that is? Anyone?? Anyone??
Another one I love is when a factory has NO signs of ANY kind and you have to play "Guess whats behind door number three" to find the right place to make your delivery or pick up.
Still another is when you go to a door that is clearly marked "ABSOLUTLEY NO ENTRANCE through this door!" "EVEN GOD better not come through this door!" So, you go around to the main office door which is the only door that doesn't have a sign like that on it, and announce that you are there to make a pick-up or delivery. Again, they warmly inform you that you have to go around to the rear for deliveries. Now, at that point, you might dare say, "but the door says, etc. etc. etc! "They tell you, "oh, don't pay any attention to that sign! Everybody uses THAT door!" How 'ya gonna win? Then the consignee can't understand why their freight is delayed! It's a FUN job, ain't it? Does this bother anyone but me?

If the door says employees only or no entrance and i can not by all means find another door .. yep i will go for it.....

or how about being rushed for a pick up ..... hurry and get there this is a hot load.. gotta get there ... and when u do get there..... NO one seems to know what your there for to pick up ....
I HATE THAT!!

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The difference is, I stayed on point with the issue, while you strayed from the issue in order to make a personal remark with the typing lesson snark. When you do that, it should not surprise you to receive a snark in return.

All that people here after telling you is, you can choose to remain ignorant about the basics of your job, like many expediters do, or you can learn what a Bill of Lading and an Order of Service is and why the FMCSA has specific regulations defining their use and purpose, so that you can be fully aware of the consequences and responsibilities of deviating from or dismissing those regulations and the contract they are based on.

I thought I covered a response to this retort in my last response, but I appreciate the continued reiteration to again make a point you think I am not following or aware of.... But this is what makes this country so great, freedom of expression and the ability to interpret constraints and opinions.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
People who make snarky remarks ["This completely explains your lack of understanding on many topics"] complaining about snarky remarks [which aren't, BTW] are hilarious.
Broad and unsubstantiated derogatory remarks directed at someone, though - that's just ignorant.[/QUOT

I was not complaining about the follow-up snarky remark, I was stating a fact that the way I QUOTED the post was in fact sufficient enough for a snarky remark to be made... SNARKY remarks is the way of things by many on this forum. I just like to play nice in the sandbox.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Im thinking we should stay on track here by picking on the UAW and not each other..

Which I could do right now after seeing my truck parked in the driveway with the nose cone on the freight box busted up from the last IDIOT that unloaded my truck..And now Im fighting the cold and snow showers trying to get it sealed up. 2 holes punched thru it and once again Id bet my bottom dollar he knew he did it. :mad:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
People who make snarky remarks ["This completely explains your lack of understanding on many topics"] complaining about snarky remarks [which aren't, BTW] are hilarious.
Broad and unsubstantiated derogatory remarks directed at someone, though - that's just ignorant.[/QUOT

I was not complaining about the follow-up snarky remark, I was stating a fact that the way I QUOTED the post was in fact sufficient enough for a snarky remark to be made... SNARKY remarks is the way of things by many on this forum. I just like to play nice in the sandbox.

I've reread both your comment [on the union 'attitude'] and my response [on a driver's responsibility] and can find no reason at all for your derogatory comment about MY lack of understanding. Unless it's that you're accustomed to making derogatory remarks about "the union workers" and hearing only agreement, and you didn't care for another point of view....
Whatever, the comment about my understanding, was uncalled for - if you 'just like to play nice in the sandbox', that's not how it's done.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Im thinking we should stay on track here by picking on the UAW and not each other..

Was 'picking on the UAW' the topic? Seems to me, that it was a gratuitous shot at them that started the digression, not a specific complaint, like yours.
And I agree: when they damage MY equipment [which they have, numerous times], it's infuriating. We can't ever prove they did it, and therefore can't hold them responsible. It's just one of the reasons I hate automotive freight.
You have my sympathy.

Which I could do right now after seeing my truck parked in the driveway with the nose cone on the freight box busted up from the last IDIOT that unloaded my truck..And now Im fighting the cold and snow showers trying to get it sealed up. 2 holes punched thru it and once again Id bet my bottom dollar he knew he did it. :mad:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Was 'picking on the UAW' the topic?

Its a safe bet he was refering to the auto plants as Im sure he wasnt picking up at a bread plant,but your right I dont know that for sure,,and it is the perfect thread to to poke fun at them.

As far as sympathy,, I could have used it as I was hanging off a 11 ft ladder trying to reach 13 ft.:)
Not the best looking repair by far but it will work untill it happens again and I need to replace it.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Not only that, but if you do that, you'll get more of it. A customer that knows he can get delivery to the 2nd floor without paying for it will never pay for it.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not only that, but if you do that, you'll get more of it. A customer that knows he can get delivery to the 2nd floor without paying for it will never pay for it.

When I do take that extra step for a customer for whatever reason I chose to do it for, I always qualify the action with a disclaimer so they know they are getting something not contracted for... that usually results in a happy customer who most likely will not expect it in the future..

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Doing more for less is a part of the reason expediting is a tougher gig these days.

Stay safe

KG

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
to many drivers do extra things for free, like taking it to 2nd floor and next time some one comes and they ask them to take to 2nd floor
and they say it's not on the bill , they said last driver did it why won't you do it
i alway say you didn't by for that level of service
for damage box i alway had load lock on floor with 2 2by 4 across the front of the box to protect it
and alway watch loading of my truck and told them how they were loading and unloading my truck
also told them if you hurt my truck you will meet fred they ask who fred was a 2by 4 with your name on it and i beat hell out of them and i would show them 2by4