how many background checks are required?

termite289

Expert Expediter
First off, let me say that i do not have a group of hula dancers in grass skirts, and a few hundred rolls of duck tape in the bunk, and side box. I am not the evil genius mastermind intent on taking over the world. I am a truck driver. that is it, plain and simple.
With that being said, how many more background checks are they going to come up with that we have to pay roughly another $100 for? So far i have completed fast, and passport, and government clearance, for fed-ex which i no longer use.. and i have pending the twick and hazmat, which im not sure i want to pay for. yet i see a whole plethora of new and exiting opportunity for more. the salmonella scare with the peanuts. sars, bird flue, and just to make any particular congressman or woman look like they are protecting the public, from the evil truckers.
Now im not saying that a background check isn't a good idea for people hauling sensitive material, but do we have to have a whole list of them. I thought federal agencies were supposed to share information. cut down on paperwork and all that. it seems to me that the department of transportation is a bit nuts on this one. lets find one that will cover airports, ship ports, and haz-mat, and anything else they will decide that the country needs a few extra hundred million dollars for, and get it all done at one time. besides all the extra cards we have to carry are getting hard to keep up with.
what do you think???

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Especially when they are all looking at the SAME databases when they do a background check.
:mad:

termite289

Expert Expediter
lets not all disagree at once.
however i have been told that you get a discount on twick, if you have hazmat.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Termite;

I deal with the background checks on the "inside" - within the walls of a carrier. I am often amazed what our government expects the hard-working folks of this country to go through. When will they realize that any terrorist attack is NOT going to involve "law abiding" terrorists. Geez, if a terrorist wanted to blow up a truck next to a government building do you really believe that the terrorist is going to worry about having a CDL, a Hazmat endorsement or other TSA background checks?????

Sorry for thinking logically.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

termite289

Expert Expediter
nope, i don't think a terrorist would bother with going through the proper channels. much like the guys on 911, they would probably learn to drive a truck, either in a school, or on a farm somewhere, and load it up that way. and im sure we all agree on that. so, if we are all in agreement, that a terrorist isn't going to use proper channels, what is the reason we who are just drivers, and not terrorists being subjected to the complicated maze of paperwork and expense for 4 different background checks. i can no longer haul freight out of he port in new Orleans, because i haven't paid for the twick card yet. and at this point im not sure i will.
good sir, you side stepped my point, which is that with each new threat, they add another background check. and require us to jump through the same hoops all over again.
my father in law isn't very keen on being questioned about his son in law. not because iv done anything wrong, but simply because he already answered the questions twice before.

Mitchman

Seasoned Expediter
The FBI is embarking on a $1 billion effort to build the world's largest computer database of peoples' physical characteristics, a project that would give the government unprecedented abilities to identify individuals in the United States and abroad.
Digital images of faces, fingerprints and palm patterns are already flowing into background search systems. And in the coming years, law enforcement authorities around the world will be able to rely on iris patterns, face-shape data, scars and perhaps even the unique ways people walk and talk, to solve crimes and identify criminals and terrorists. The FBI will also retain, upon request by employers, the fingerprints of employees who have undergone criminal background checks so the employers can be notified if employees have brushes with the law

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Totally agree with the Termite - I've been printed & background checked for both Hazmat and the FAST card already, and now I need to pay for the same process again for a TWIC card?!! :mad:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you already have a FAST card and/or an HAZMAT endorsement, the background check that was performed for those will satisfy as credentialed background checks for TWIC. You still have to pay for the TWIC, but at a reduced price. Granted, not much of a reduced price. The full price is $132.50 and the reduced price for already having a FAST or HME is $105.25.

TSA: Frequently Asked Questions

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
AND, don't forget, that the President and members of the House and Senate are NOT required to have those SAME backround checks. If they were, well, we would NOT have many, if ANY, of our current elected officials. Arn't they sussposed to work or us? Something just ain't quite right here. :mad: Layoutshooter

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's good Bravo

Now lets get down to the nitty gritty.

The DOD Contractors card is Merely a paper trail. Just like the Fast Cards and such. I agree Hazmat & all the back ground checks stem from the same lines so to speak. Either your on a bad boy list or your not.
The list is actually called Black List.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
so, if we are all in agreement, that a terrorist isn't going to use proper channels, what is the reason we who are just drivers, and not terrorists being subjected to the complicated maze of paperwork and expense for 4 different background checks.

There is a lot of money to be made by processing all these background checks and administering credentials. Political influence can be gained by having say over the jobs and money involved. The whole process gives certain people something to have say over, other people jobs, and still others profits. The common sense thing is one background check. The lobbyist-induced thing is multiple checks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not only lobbyists vie to gain power, Phil. Government agencies do the same thing. The more "power" they weild the larger thier budget is next year. Every agency out there is forced by our silly budgeting system to grow thier fifedome. I watched in awe of it for 20 years. It is as amazing as it is scary. Layoutshooter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Not only lobbyists vie to gain power, Phil. Government agencies do the same thing. The more "power" they weild the larger thier budget is next year. Every agency out there is forced by our silly budgeting system to grow thier fifedome. I watched in awe of it for 20 years. It is as amazing as it is scary. Layoutshooter

You are correct. The agencies have lobbyists too.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is a very sad fact, Turtle. It takes more of a backround check to haul hazmat than to have control of over 25,000 nukes. Something is just not right. :( Layoutshooter

finbar73

Seasoned Expediter
I remember applying for a local job once and they asked for a criminal,which comes from the local PD.No problem I said do you want my FAST card,the look on their face said enough.Local police are going to catch what the FBI and RCMP didn't catch not likely

greg334

Veteran Expediter
AND, don't forget, that the President and members of the House and Senate are NOT required to have those SAME backround checks.

I don't know about congressional staff but WH staff go through a security check before they are supposed to work there. The one president who had his wife step in and 'clear' people who never were cleared was Clinton.