High Top Cargo

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
I went to Fiberine in Wilmington, CA (the link is in the opening post) and spoke with them face to face. Here is the breakdown for a 2009 Ford E-350 regular sized CV: 18" Aerodynamic top $1800. White Gel Coat $290. Door Kits $750. Basic Installation $650. What I found weird was even though they will sell you the door kits, they will NOT install them! She said I had to go to a regular body shop to have them installed. I don't understand why, but that's the way it is. Total cost $3,490 before taxes and door kit installation. This quote was as of June 14th 2013. Quite an investment on a high mileage vehicle, but I cringe when I have to pass on loads that are 50" high that weigh under 3000lbs.

That's pretty dern close to what they told me on the phone. I remember the 1800 for the top, and 650 install. Had not asked about the extension. Thanks a bunch. You just saved me another phone call...as I had the info at home, but it'll be a while before I get there. Thanks!

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
You may want to consider an extended 3500.

Ideally, yes. 2500 Model is 8600, less the 5500 (roughly), less my estimated 500 for supplies and me.

Total estimated weight for DP would be roughly 2600. Now we get down to the gritty.....with no extension on back door, I can get by with the 2500 if it's the perfect vehicle, and we go with the top.

Extended door model would need to be the 3500, which adds another 1000 lb cargo allowance, and would be worth the extra money? Given Fed Ex's quotes from above......one would need to justify around 5000 bucks before break even on the van. Since the van is a stepping stone, and the most cautious move.....would probably jump on the 2500 (or equivalent) being looked at now.

Sprinter is not even getting a glance. Even with the millions of tons of freight it's moved...right along with a super ride and engine, can't do it. I'll drive one, but not own. :p

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I found this kinda funny.

I'm driving my Dads sprinter and the check engine light comes on. It's was under warranty so no big deal but my dad kinda freaks out because of how expensive they are to fix and the fact that he just dropped 34k cash on the van. Turns out to be no big deal once I got home and checked the code.

Yesterday I'm driving loaded to Georgia in MY E250 and the same thing. Check engine light comes on. I check the code and tell my dad who owns half of the ford and he simply say"ahh no big deal".

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Okay....went for the CargoMax listed on this site. CU cannot loan (even though qualified) because they cannot classify the vehicle. Spoke with manufacturer and distributor of these Unicell's, and expressed my dismay of them not getting something lined up for identification and value lending property. It's ridiculous, and even the Vin# will not help the lender. Was afraid of this, and the reason I had not pursued it earlier. All is not lost....they're still working on it.

Meanwhile....the 2500 has been approved and hoping if I have to go that way, the 2500 lb payload will be enough for the company I'm looking to put it on with. Mint condition with High Top already placed, extended, and 4.8 engine. Has all the perks and extra's.....33,000 miles.

Any thoughts on the payload? I know the 3500 is better, but this current set up is ready to roll now. Cannot continue to sit for 5 days a week, while the down payment runs out the door. Got to be a movin.....:p

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone's dropping the ball. The VIN will show it as a chev cab & chassis, that's all it is. If it doesn't work, go with the 3/4 ton and don't look back.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If the Cargomax deal works, please let me know where that 2500 high top is. I'll read back thru here to see if you said but I don't recall.
Thanks!!

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Someone's dropping the ball. The VIN will show it as a chev cab & chassis, that's all it is. If it doesn't work, go with the 3/4 ton and don't look back.

Your right scottm. It does bring that up, but does not show value of the van itself. You know how these people are....they want to pull up the vehicle, look over at a column, and see the wholesale, retail, and loan value. No such animal here. After speaking with the owner of that CargoMax (great guy by the way) he stated what I feared....that vehicle would be long gone at original asking price, but the lenders cannot, or will not, consider the industry standards and load capacities.

Thanks for the encouragement/advice on the 2500. Think I'll do just that. :D

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
If the Cargomax deal works, please let me know where that 2500 high top is. I'll read back thru here to see if you said but I don't recall.
Thanks!!

We'll do my friend. I'd put in the link....but we'd no longer be thread buddies, if you swoop in with the cash. :p Just foolin around, of course. I think the 2500 cargo capacity will do me fine, not ideal, but at least I'd be an O/O. The other nice thing, it's smaller and will serve as our second vehicle. I'll unload the Explorer.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Love my extended 2500. Sure, more height would be great. But I can't complain about this one. Except that P0300 that took forever to track down.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Van configure. Got the height, and the width for bunk. Sweet.....

GMC lay out.jpg

You folks run 2x40 and one at 48?

Last edited:

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Hooray! Our new Promaster 3500 is finally built! I wonder how long it will take to get here?

Movin on up! Hope mine can lead to that.....or Ford, or Unicell (still love those) but it looks like I'll have to wait.

Company confirmed the van, and the want for my driving services. If all goes well next week....O/O at last! Whopping 300 miles this week, again. I'll drive a darn stagecoach with wooden wheels to get some money coming in. It's been ridiculous.

Congrats on the ProMaster. Sweet Cargo.....

Last edited: