High Top Cargo

BRILSA88

Seasoned Expediter
I get suicidal during the 1600 mile weeks. Guess I am spoiled for the 3700 mile weeks lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using EO Forums mobile app

BRILSA88

Seasoned Expediter
On our original van a 06 Ford we had 2 Reese hitches installed on the front. Husband welded a frame together and put the generator and a small bbg grill on there. Worked perfect. The 2 hitches gave it more stability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using EO Forums mobile app

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I have a rise top Ford van but with regular rear doors. Any suggestion where I can put high doors?

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Moot has a good point on the high side opening being 48". If that's a taper? I'd measure height until I reached the 50" mark (wide) and place that as the cargo width allowance. Love those loads whereby it's 48 inch pallet, but hanging 2" off both sides. Got a quote coming from CA on Monday or Tuesday. Indy was way too high, and that phone call was short.

Hey Kickstart....Just kidding about the hat. Got a couple of weekend loads and missed all the fun.

34,000.00 out the door is a nice price for the ProMaster. Really like the cargo area and the low riding frame for stability. The long version adds 14 inches, but I would not spend the extra 4 grand for it. Would just as soon put that in options, and break the living quarters down on the 3 skid loads. For the money, the 14 inches would improve the living space, but not increase freight, unless you want to run 4x40 at 160". Not me.

Your right about the partition and that being removed would probably make a difference. The feeling cramped part, as stated, probably stems from the Terra Max being so roomy. I'm 6 feet and can stand up easily from the drivers seat. The ProMaster has me bumping my head by comparison. The gas pedal on the Max is placed very deep for good leg stretch, and your sitting about the same as driving a pickup truck. These Sprinter "types" always have me feeling up too high with nothing in front of you but glass. Just kinda weird for me, I guess. Dealer stated the parts department purchased one and is getting a solid 17-18 MPG, which includes running some Carolina mountain terrain...so that lines up, from two sources.

It would seem something like this to me.... If one drives a Sprinter, the ProMaster is similar up front, with the cargo area design being superior IMV. Given the whopping 6 months in a Sprinter, would have this person grabbing the ProMaster. Time will tell on the motor, but it's the proven 3.6 Pentastar and beats the Max by quite a bit.

As for the OP.....beginning to think the way to go is the high roof already installed and running it like a regular van. They're out there, and found 2 nice ones with limited pursuit. Want the head room and some height for securing freight. However, the ProMaster is impressive and we'll see what quote comes along on Monday. Thanks all, for your input. :D :)

Last edited:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Lol that hat has been ripped more than probably any item of clothing I've ever had. That includes a lime green and pink John Deere I had in high school to make fun of rednecks with lol

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
I have a rise top Ford van but with regular rear doors. Any suggestion where I can put high doors?

Was checking on that very thing when DP called on Friday. Without anything definite yet, it almost appears this needs to be done on the new vans. Two people have stated doing it after the fact, can be quite pricey.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot has a good point on the high side opening being 48". If that's a taper? I'd measure height until I reached the 50" mark (wide) and place that as the cargo width allowance. Love those loads whereby it's 48 inch pallet, but hanging 2" off both sides.
On my Chevy I'm right at 48" wide at the top of the radius piece where the side walls meet the roof. I would guess this would be the approximate cut point for chopping the roof. Ford door openings are closer to a 90º angle at the top corners and probably an inch or two wider than a GM at that point.

For me personally, owning a GM van, if I were to go with a raised roof it would be for my knees and the top of my poor head. Not for load height. Although one could restack boxes higher once inside. I wouldn't bother with the door extensions and remain on record with my carrier at 48" high. My knees and head would be happy!

With a Ford, if I could get 50" of width near the top I could add the door extensions. Ford or Chevy, I would measure a finished product before deciding on the door extensions.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Was checking on that very thing when DP called on Friday. Without anything definite yet, it almost appears this needs to be done on the new vans. Two people have stated doing it after the fact, can be quite pricey.

I have a company here in ATL they quoted 2 doors at 5k....

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
For me personally, owning a GM van, if I were to go with a raised roof it would be for my knees and the top of my poor head. Not for load height. Although one could restack boxes higher once inside. I wouldn't bother with the door extensions and remain on record with my carrier at 48" high. My knees and head would be happy!

Exactly the point. Starting to convince myself of two things.....would purchase the extended back door model, only if already present, while buying the van and placing the high top, just for the head room, would be a must. Too old and beat up for the acrobat job in a regular van with standard height.

Going right into the ProMaster may be a distant want for now. It's the old conundrum of spinning the wheels driving for someone else, or taking the leap for all the marbles. Better move with caution......34,000 is quite a jump. :)

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
No help with the 4.8 vs 6.0 gas engine?

What I know is all I've heard, and that info is spotty. Some say the 6.0 gets the same mileage, with more power of course. Had a few cube people tell me they get 16-18 MPG with the 6.....while the 4.8 people say about the same, with no problem on the hills.

Found the nice set up in NY, but not sure if forum rules allow me to post a dealership pic/add? She's a pretty good extended 2500, with the high top already mounted. 2011 with 33K.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
No help with the 4.8 vs 6.0 gas engine?

What I know is all I've heard, and that info is spotty. Some say the 6.0 gets the same mileage, with more power of course. Had a few cube people tell me they get 16-18 MPG with the 6.....while the 4.8 people say about the same, with no problem on the hills.

Found the nice set up in NY, but not sure if forum rules allow me to post a dealership pic/add? She's a pretty good extended 2500, with the high top already mounted. 2011 with 33K.

4.8 is a stout little motor, have one in my personal truck a 02" silverado. My new ford van has a 4.6 and this suckers weak sauce. But it does sound good for what that is worth lol.

If you are able to afford either the payment or the van outright and have start up Capitol owning your own van is nice.

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I went to Fiberine in Wilmington, CA (the link is in the opening post) and spoke with them face to face. Here is the breakdown for a 2009 Ford E-350 regular sized CV: 18" Aerodynamic top $1800. White Gel Coat $290. Door Kits $750. Basic Installation $650. What I found weird was even though they will sell you the door kits, they will NOT install them! She said I had to go to a regular body shop to have them installed. I don't understand why, but that's the way it is. Total cost $3,490 before taxes and door kit installation. This quote was as of June 14th 2013. Quite an investment on a high mileage vehicle, but I cringe when I have to pass on loads that are 50" high that weigh under 3000lbs.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I don't know, but I'm guessing that getting door kits installed "correctly" is not easy.
Getting the top on is just a matter of cutting, screwing & sealing. IMO.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't a sprinter at least be easier tho? And the initial cost once you buy a ford or Chevy and have the roof installed couldn't be much different than a good used 144" high roof or 170"