High Top Cargo

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Well, we can almost eliminate the Dodge ProMaster. Went over one today at dealership and liked everything about it, save for the most important thing....driver comfort. Seat is way to high for me, accelerator placed like a sprinter, with no overall comfort in the drivers seat.

Cargo area was perfect and the short version will still haul 3 skids. One can easily load a skid through side door. (given any decent fork truck driver). Their running a quote for insulation and side panels, and we'll see what that brings the total sticker to. Dodge did a nice job in design for freight, but may have forgotten the driver sits in the thing for hours at a time. It's cramped up front, for me anyway.

At any rate, it's still 10 grand over the high top scenario. Still need to call Indy for high top placement.

Last edited:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Well, we can almost eliminate the Dodge ProMaster. Went over one today at dealership and liked everything about it, save for the most important thing....driver comfort. Seat is way to high for me, accelerator placed like a sprinter, with no overall comfort in the drivers seat.

Cargo area was perfect and the short version will still haul 3 skids. One can easily load a skid through side door. (given any decent fork truck driver). Their running a quote for insulation and side panels, and we'll see what that brings the total sticker to. Dodge did a nice job in design for freight, but may have forgotten the driver sits in the thing for hours at a time. It's cramped up front, for me anyway.

At any rate, it's still 10 grand over the high top scenario. Still need to call Indy for high top placement.

I like the way the newer sprinters seat, steering wheel and pedals are placed. The seat itself is a bit hard but it's supportive

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
I like the way the newer sprinters seat, steering wheel and pedals are placed. The seat itself is a bit hard but it's supportive

Have not driven a Sprinter for a while, but this ProMaster sure felt cramped. Probably because I'm used to the much roomier Ford Van. It's just way more comfortable to drive. The seat was clear back to the partition, with not much travel remaining in the seat rails.

Ran over 1600 a few weeks in a Sprinter, and will do it again if I have to. It isn't like it's that bad. :p

Last edited:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Have not driven a Sprinter for a while, but this ProMaster sure felt cramped. Probably because I'm used to the much roomier Ford Van. It's just way more comfortable to drive. The seat was clear back to the partition, with not much travel remaining in the seat rails.

Ran over 1600 more than a few times in a Sprinter, and will do it again if I have to. It isn't like it's that bad. :p

Lol my longest run can't touch that. I did have a 3,700 mile week once with deadhead seeing what I believe was the entire state of Michigan while driving my dads sprinter. That sucked but it would probably suck in just about everything. I'm in a ford now and while I like several things about it better than the sprinter I do prefer driving the sprinter more, for me it's more comfortable. The ride and driver IMO is superior as well. The ford does have a more comfy seat tho lol

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Lol my longest run can't touch that. I did have a 3,700 mile week once with deadhead seeing what I believe was the entire state of Michigan while driving my dads sprinter. That sucked but it would probably suck in just about everything. I'm in a ford now and while I like several things about it better than the sprinter I do prefer driving the sprinter more, for me it's more comfortable. The ride and driver IMO is superior as well. The ford does have a more comfy seat tho lol

LOL. That 1600 IS for the week. I do recall a couple 2000 mile weeks as well. I can see where the wording was a bit fuzzy. Fixed it.

Can't touch that 3700, so trumped on that one.

Last edited:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
LOL. That 1600 IS for the week. I do recall a couple 2000 mile weeks as well. I can see where the wording was a bit fuzzy. Fixed it.

Can't touch that 3700, so trumped on that one.

That 3,700 mile week was maybe my 3-4 week out and it nearly made me quit. Then I received my 40% of the settlement lol

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He got his 40% and put a down payment on that hat. ;)

So since your first month, been kind of downhill from there ?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Seats can be replaced. If I had a van or a sprinter I'd install a nice comfy seat with air suspension! It's a good investment for wise *** drivers!

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
He got his 40% and put a down payment on that hat. ;)

So since your first month, been kind of downhill from there ?

Lol it's leveled out to a good norm that I enjoy expediting. I had a bad 2 week span because I got some god awful virus and couldn't work for about 17 days.

I paid $48 for that lovely hat thank you lol. It's also now signed by Brian Vickers, Scott Speed, Sebastian Vettle and Mark Webber

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, IMHO it would be a waste of money NOT to get the door kit; one major point of owning a Sprinter in the first place is to load tall items into it, that won't fit into a flattop.
A potential problem with the door extenders is the width. On a GM the curve of the door frame may allow for a maximum of only 48". That may get you taller loads but it could also cost you some loads if you are on record with your carrier as 48" max width.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Wouldn't it make sense to talk to someone at your carrier. Senior dispatcher or a salesperson to see what the benefits are to you. To see if the R O I is there.

Last edited:

BRILSA88

Seasoned Expediter
We have a 2014 Ram Promaster 2500. It has 12 feet of floor space, height is 72 inches, width between wheel wells is 56 inches. Payload is 4200 pounds. Love the thing. It does not get the gas mileage that they tell you. We are getting 18 tops. BUT when you think about maintenance compared to the sprinter it's tolerable. Oil change 31.00 at a Dodge dealer. Same engine that has been in the Jeep Cherokee. We have 14000 miles on it now. They drive amazingly compared to sprinters and cargos. Lower to the ground and more squared off and front wheel drive. The ride is not bad at all I don't think. We got a basic power windows and back up sensor are the only extras. $34, 000 out the door. There are shorter ones and the only one that is bigger is the one ton and it is extended in length.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using EO Forums mobile app

BRILSA88

Seasoned Expediter
How tall are you because we have plenty of room in the drivers area? We don't have a partition either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using EO Forums mobile app