High Top Cargo

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Didn't find anything specific in the van thread, so excuse me if it's been covered before, and I'm sure it has.

Thinking seriously about purchasing an extended cargo and setting it up with a high top. (ford man here, but they blew it on axle placement)

Home

Van high top

Not crazy about Sprinters, and the new Dodge and Ford are going to be slightly outta reach. Ideally, one would extend the back load door up to height of high top....but I hear that's pretty pricey. Getting some figures together now and perhaps there are those out there who know, or have researched the ins and outs....or could offer opinion? Thinking 09-12 GMC, but not sure of the best motor selection (right now, the 6.0 gas has the edge)

Last edited:

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have thought about it myself; but would they install it on a previously-used vehicle? What about weight?
Also, IMHO it would be a waste of money NOT to get the door kit; one major point of owning a Sprinter in the first place is to load tall items into it, that won't fit into a flattop.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
xmudman;662155]Have thought about it myself; but would they install it on a previously-used vehicle? What about weight?

Previously used, I think so. The weight factor is not a real issue with me, I guess. An extended allows for quite a bit, even with the flat top? Still doing the research. One could start out as is, then add a spring or two if the back weight doesn't feel right as you near the 10,000 plateau?

Also, IMHO it would be a waste of money NOT to get the door kit; one major point of owning a Sprinter in the first place is to load tall items into it, that won't fit into a flattop.

I think your right, but one must ensure he's not putting as much into it....as just buying a Sprinter type van anyway. Like the stability of the regular vans, and if done right (and professionally) the high tops have a nice cosmetic appeal. I did phone the outfit in CA for a quote, but left those figures at home. I'm thinking it was near 1700.00 for the 16" but can't remember if that included the labor. It's heck growing old. :(

Maybe some others can help us out, while gathering some more info. Need to get Indiana on the phone and see what they say.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I talked to an E1 driver a few months ago. He was a ford guy and had a super nice top don't on his. $4400, including the work on the back doors, insulation & interior trim. I keep telling myself that's too much while knowing it would pay for itself. He had his done in Indiana. I forgot to ask at what company. DOH!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was looking into doing that. With the cost of having it done, I found it would be a better value to get a used one already converted then pay the extra to have it done. There harder to find, but there out there.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I talked to an E1 driver a few months ago. He was a ford guy and had a super nice top don't on his. $4400, including the work on the back doors, insulation & interior trim. I keep telling myself that's too much while knowing it would pay for itself. He had his done in Indiana. I forgot to ask at what company. DOH!

Come on sir you gotta ask lol

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Weight has GOT to be a factor, though.

Kickstart. I'm driving the Terra Max now, but want my own. There in the same price range as a Sprinter, especially decked out like this one. Wish it were mine. :p

Weight is a factor Murray, but not so much as it's going to be, what it is. To that regard came my somewhat ho hum response, because it can't be over 10,000 loaded....no matter what the weight. I've been to GMC website and it gives all the specs, dimensions, and options. In my limited experience in Expedite, would almost believe the taller doorway pays off more than weight. Could be wrong.

And 4400.00 will pay off as you state, methinks. Prelim and cursory glance has me around 20,000 total...give or take 2 grand. Does not include E-track, floor, equipment etc. Thanks for the info and this seems right in the ballpark.

Got any opinion on the GM motor? Anyone?

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
When I was looking into doing that. With the cost of having it done, I found it would be a better value to get a used one already converted then pay the extra to have it done. There harder to find, but there out there.

Ya, and I have trouble finding them. Every once in a while they pop up....but was not committed during that time. Have not looked lately, but will begin again. The other factor is condition and unknown history. Don't necessarily need mint....but great shape scale is a must. Brother is retired Navel Commander lounging around in CA and he's picky as all get out. Could make a call and turn the dog loose. He'd find one in great shape, and would give the old coot something to do. ;)

Last edited:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
LOL!! Give me a break. I had just driven from Lansing to Sanford, FL. Or was it Philly to Dallas? Something like that. But straight!! Although I think I had a 90 minute nap in there.

Lol I know how ya feel. Drove from Toledo to somewhere in Indiana only like 20 minutes from the shipper, stopped to top off my tank on I80 and discovered what I thought was a hole in my fuel tank. Call dispatcher and my pops get removed from service then to figure out it was a faulty pump at the fuel station

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Kickstart. I'm driving the Terra Max now, but want my own. There in the same price range as a Sprinter, especially decked out like this one. Wish it were mine. :p

Weight is a factor Murray, but not so much as it's going to be, what it is. To that regard came my somewhat ho hum response, because it can't be over 10,000 loaded....no matter what the weight. I've been to GMC website and it gives all the specs, dimensions, and options. In my limited experience in Expedite, would almost believe the taller doorway pays off more than weight. Could be wrong.

And 4400.00 will pay off as you state, methinks. Prelim and cursory glance has me around 20,000 total...give or take 2 grand. Does not include E-track, floor, equipment etc. Thanks for the info and this seems right in the ballpark.

Got any opinion on the GM motor? Anyone?

I'm a GM man. Always have been.
Me? I have found my 4.8 to be a great balance of economy & power. And I've hauled 2800-3300 more times than I can recall. But mine it a 2500.
But I'd find a 4.8 in a 3500 and throw that turtle top on there.
I'm at 414K on my clicker but if I had a spare $5500 I'd cap this one and Espar it at the same time.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
And yes. TALL is more often what makes a Sprinter load compared to weight.
BUT, as many times I see posted Sprinter loads with 3-4 full size skids.
I can squeeze in 3 @ 48x48x48. But not 4. That's a lot of load for this can.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
But "tall" like 52"-55". I don't see AS many Sprinter loads at 60-70" tall. They happen, but usually I see 50-56" or so more.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
And yes. TALL is more often what makes a Sprinter load compared to weight.
BUT, as many times I see posted Sprinter loads with 3-4 full size skids.
I can squeeze in 3 @ 48x48x48. But not 4. That's a lot of load for this can.

What size sprinter can take for 48x48 skids beside the sprinter cube? Or is my calibrated eye ball off again?