High Top Cargo

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
No, that's about right WITH a partition. But I don't have a partition and have hauled dozens of loads that were between 11 and 12 feet. That's how I haul some loads that pay Sprinter rates. Especially shorties. The minimum $$ for Sprinter loads CAN be much higher. At least on the open market. So think hard about a bulkhead.
Heck, I pulled 2 of them out and got rid of them.
I just hauled two outriggers that were 155" long. That was an 1873 mile load at a Sprinter rate. In my extended Express.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yes. I'll quadruple check it but I'm 99% sure. My record is squeezing 3 @ 49.5" long behind the seats. But they were jammed and so was I!!! Glad it was only a 6 mile load to Behr in Dayton.
I'm from Alabama. If it will go thru the doors, I'll MAKE it work!!!
No plywood = 49.25" tall at striker.
No liner means 52" between the wells.
I cut the front floor mat TO the back edge of the seat bases. I think that's how I got the 144" floor.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
What's the width at the door extensions?

Sorry Moot. Did not make that clear and extension meant van itself. That's just a high top on the van, no back vertical door extensions. But, it gets me halfway to that possibility, and the high top is not the streamlined cool one I'd prefer, but it's tapered in the front for air passover. If the company that's agreed to take me on...runs me well, proves to be legit, and I make decent money; may consider if the back door extensions would be worth the extra 3 grand. Since this is a stepping stone, may just be ready for a Dodge or Ford Sprinter at that juncture....come what may.

Got the van nailed down with a hold, and my name is on it. Won't post the link to dealer, but it may be within the rules to mention? Dana Ford, Staten Island. If not, guess I'm in trouble? :( :confused:

I'll be having fun with the insulation, flooring, rails etc.....but will need to get by for now, as is. No bulkhead will be built. Too many ways to put up soft partition, professionally, and at low cost. I'll miss my 160" and sliding door to the back, but what good is:

Looks and styles
But got no miles....:)

Last edited:

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Congrats Mav!! Sounds like a winner!

Thanks Murray, and it seems I've paid my rookie dues. EO was a huge help for that, and thanks to all who commented here. :cool:

OK.....how much can I expect to get this baby up and doing?

Will need DOT#? What's the scoop on that?

Can I place the e-Track on existing floor for now....or must I get the plywood going?

Standard rate for Insurance? Need cargo and vehicle. (thanks Moot) for the PM on that one. What's the average?

Anything else I need to know? It's like being a rookie again....but this decision was made fast, and normally I have the answers researched. Was shooting for Spring, but it's going to happen now. Recruiter conversation was very short today as he was super busy, and so was I. Don't stop now guys.....this thread could help others, and it ain't all about me. :p

Don't you love those people who promote team spirit, for their own benefit? :)

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'm a minimalist, on the road, so look to the "old timers" on here for the real professional ways to make your "professional camping" the most comfortable it possibly can.

BUT, if you NEED to get rolling in it ASAP and add features as possible....

BUNK. You need a bunk!! And remember that it must be comfortable. If your bunk is not comfortable you will not be rested, and that is the absolute worst way to the in this business. I built a fold down bunk on the front end driver side of my cargo area and attached it directly to the wall. My van is not insulated so that made attaching it to the wall supports easy. 2x4s, a sheet of thick MDF, some household door hinges & long screws to hold it in place. Look back at postings I made or pictures I posted from late 2012 for easy ideas. What I keep on my bunk for comfort is two furniture pads folded in half, an air mattress I got from Walmart, a twin size comforter folded in half on top of the air mattress, a heated mattress, a twin size fitted sheet, a "20 degree" cocoon type sleeping bag & a pillow.

HEAT. You need to heat!! Trust me, I have tried and tried to justify having my generator and electric heater and will tell you that it is not easy. Refilling gas tanks at three in the morning in 10° weather sucks! But my wonderful wife bought me the generator for my birthday and it's not like I can say "sorry honey".
See BillG27's posts about his Espar gas furnace. This may be the single most important expenditure for you keeping your sanity. Yes that sounds dramatic but to be able to flip a switch and have as much heat as you could possibly want sounds quite comforting to me. And to be able to run it off your vans gasoline tank is priceless. It's not cheap, at $1400 plus install, but you would spend as much on a Honda generator, a heater & has to run them over time. Just look into it. And talk to Bill too. He's a great guy!!

CARGO SECUREMENT. Yes. Need straps. As for e-track, ideally you have enough but not overkill. Many of these guys have so much etrack that their cargo area looks like an etrack store. That's not me. And my bunk keeps me from placing it on the front 6' of the left side. Another possible reason to reconsider bunk placement. I usually have to sling the strap from that six-foot point, up around the front of the skids and then back to the right side where I can secure. Floor track would be much easier, I imagine, but see somebody else for better load securement ideas me.

EXHAUST FAN. I did a summer without an exhaust fan and will tell you this is a real necessity in my opinion. Laredo and El Paso are no fun in the summer without airflow. I installed a Fantastic-Fan in April or May and posted some pictures, but many people have and can advise as well. Many options to choose from and you can spend just as about as much as you want to or don't want to. I ended up with the 5000 and don't regret it.

GENSET. if you want to be able to sit around and burn power you're going to need a generator. If you want to be able to sit around and burn power without a generator you're going to need house batteries. This entire. Could be your most expensive venture. See Turtle for all things electrical. I don't know the guy, but it's not hard to tell he's quite experienced and will actually research and post a lot of useful info. You could search for the same information but 90% of it would not apply to what you're trying to do. Applying that electrical information to professional camping is the hardest part. But opinions are like a holes, and everyone has one.
As for the generator, there are two schools of thought. Honda 2000 is about $1000 and a great generator for doing this. Most of the time to thousand watts with the plenty of power. Especially if it is mainly just recharging your house batteries. The other school of thought is take that thousand dollars and only spent a fraction of it on a cheap Chinese made generator with a one-year warranty. Go to Harbor freight and see what they have. I have heard prices as low as $150. If that's really the case, that is simple math to figure out. Mine is a Hyundai Hy2000si. Birthday present. It does a good job for what I need it to do. Was also only about $470 I think.

I'll shut up now and let other people post. These people are way more experienced than I ever will be at "rolling can camping" and their opinions are all valuable. Just remember that an opinion is ONLY that. It is not a rule.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You shouldn't need your own dot if your signing on with a carrier.

Absolutely put in a floor and etrack and use it!

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Insulation. If you can get the blown in stuff, that would be the way to go IMO. Does come at a price tag. Got mine done for about $700. Fills all the nooks and crannies.

There are some good pics on here by those that did the insul boards.

Turtle did his up real nice at a fraction of the cost. But takes some time. Took the company I used 4 hours to prep, blow and clean up.

Makes a huge difference in your comfort.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Also check out Ikea for shoe totes. They come in a three pack for $40. Great for all your storage needs. They fit inside the fender wells and are light weight. Mount easily. I just used a couple self tapping screws. They was $30 for 3 when I bought mine. I have 9 (3 three packs). Store clothing, food, straps, pallet puller and anything else you want. Plus have a recessed shelf on top.

Down side is, you won't be able to mount etrack to the wall. I have Atrac in the floor (Sprinter cargo option). All I ever needed and prefer it to wall mount.

The totes make for a nice clean professional look. Everything is hidden.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app