Health Insurance for Expediters; What do You See?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I knew the Can system it is real easy....they have it down to about 3 pages..and that includes your name and address.....but this US tax code....forget it....LOL

The US system is designed to insure corruption, cheating and miss understanding.
Understand? It is designed to increase mistakes and there for , fines, penalties etc. It is a BAD JOKE!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
no thanks....according to 2 certified CPA's...I am good to go...those are EXAMPLE numbers NOT fact...

Running expenses: Ice for the food cooler....Gas for the generator....repairs to generator...Motel rooms.....Tolls....new microwave....and so forth....
Can nots: no windshield wipers. no fluids, light bulbs, and so forth

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Why can't you not deduct windshield wipers fluids etc ?
That's plain wrong they are vehicle maint items that's like saying you can't deduct for tires

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Why can't you not deduct windshield wipers fluids etc ?
That's plain wrong they are vehicle maint items that's like saying you can't deduct for tires

You can itemize or take the mileage deduction.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
CV drivers better hold onto all their receipts because according to that site they are facing some big problems if the IRS figures it out.

All I see is mileage rates what are you referring to?

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
He is talking about itemized deductions and depreciation. Basically the same that a straight or tractor would use.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
All I see is mileage rates what are you referring to?

I was replying to the comment about not being able to write off things like windshield wipers. I was just trying to say that the reason he couldn't take the wipers as a write off was because he used a mileage deduction instead which covered everything.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was replying to the comment about not being able to write off things like windshield wipers. I was just trying to say that the reason he couldn't take the wipers as a write off was because he used a mileage deduction instead which covered everything.

You would be correct sir

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you do not go with any health ins. YES, in 2014 there will be a line item on the 1040's that will allow the IRS to collect the tax. Remember, it is a tax not a fine.

The collection issue is not about the line on the form or the obligation to pay. It's about the fact that the IRS has no power to extract the money from you beyond the ability to withhold it from any refund you may have coming. In most other things where the IRS has the power to collect (confiscate) money, their powers are strong. Regarding the health insurance fine (not tax), their power is weak.

This is another flaw in the program design. The assumption is that the program will work because many more people will be buying health insurance (healthy and young people) who do not buy it now, thereby providing additional premium income to offset the claims made by older, unhealthy people.

But there are few teeth in the requirement to actually buy the insurance. If you do not buy it, you are subject to a fine. In many cases, the fine is les than the cost of insurance so the financial choice many will make will be to pay the fine. Others will not do even that, knowing that it is not a crime to not get the insurance and that the only way the fine can be collected is if you have a refund coming.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Government meddling in business is never good and they don't ever get it right. Government has NO CLUE when it comes to business, or economics, in general. Governments focus is on reelection, not sound practice. One only has to look at the National Flood Insurance program to see this. That program has lead to INCREASING losses in flood and storms and almost uncontrolled losses to taxpayers.

Below is a link to a story that points out just ONE of the flaws, and there are MANY more, with the Obama Care law. It is a very bad law, bad beyond fixing, and it should be repealed.

Obamacare Faces A 'Death Spiral' -- But It Turns On The Declining Participation Of Health Plans, Not Just Rising Premiums - Forbes

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here is another story that illustrates the program's shortcomings.

Policy cancelations, higher premiums add to frustration over Obamacare

Excerpt:

"For many, their introduction to the Affordable Care Act has been negative: a broken website, and now cancellation notices from insurance companies followed by sticker shock over higher prices for the new plans. It's directly at odds with repeated assurances from the president, who has said 'if you like your insurance plan, you will keep it. No one will be able to take that away from you..."

"In California, Kaiser Permanente terminated policies for 160,000 people. In Florida, at least 300,000 people are losing coverage."

This is more than a news story. It's real. From posts here in the Open Forum, we are seeing expediters affected exactly as the story describes. This supports my belief that a massive political backlash is building, the likes of which Obamacare advocates never imagined.

Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The collection issue is not about the line on the form or the obligation to pay. It's about the fact that the IRS has no power to extract the money from you beyond the ability to withhold it from any refund you may have coming. In most other things where the IRS has the power to collect (confiscate) money, their powers are strong. Regarding the health insurance premium, their power is weak.

This is another flaw in the program design. The assumption is that the program will work because many more people will be buying health insurance (healthy and young people) who do not buy it now, thereby providing additional premium income to offset the claims made by older, unhealthy people.

But there are few teeth in the requirement to actually buy the insurance. If you do not buy it, you are subject to a fine. In many cases, the fine is les than the cost of insurance so the financial choice many will make will be to pay the fine. Others will not do even that, knowing that it is not a crime to not get the insurance and that the only way the fine can be collected is if you have a refund coming.

It is not a fine.... it is a tax. Per the highest court in our land. Thinking that you will just pay the tax at a lower rate then paying into the system, has a fail safe. You will pay 100% of the medical cost should you need it. No more reduced payments. They are trying to scare you into buying into it. Each year this tax will increase. The IRS will collect this tax with all their power...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It is not a fine.... it is a tax. Per the highest court in our land. Thinking that you will just pay the tax at a lower rate then paying into the system, has a fail safe. You will pay 100% of the medical cost should you need it. No more reduced payments. They are trying to scare you into buying into it. Each year this tax will increase. The IRS will collect this tax with all their power...

I'm sorry, Steady Eddie, but the information reported in the stories I provided links to is exactly the opposite. It is not a tax, it is a fine. And the IRS does not have unlimited power to go after you if you do not pay the fine, for this particular item, the IRS collection powers are specifically limited. Please read the stories again (links here) and note the sources. This is credible information.

You are correct that if you do not have health insurance and need medical care, you will be repsonsible for the full cost. But that is nothing new. Millions of Americans are without health insurance now and when they need medical care, they go in and it is provided. Then the bill comes and they ignore it or file bankrupcy, forcing those of us who have health insurance to pay higher premiums because health care providers jack up their prices on those who do pay to cover those who do not pay.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Obama lawyers went to the supreme court and argued that it is a tax. The supreme court agreed in their ruling it was a tax that was a key reason for the court ruling in favor of the law.