Health Insurance for Expediters; What do You See?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I got dropped a few years ago by my insurance. Checked into the new plans and my new rates now will be over 1100. 00 a month with 6k out pocket before I can get that 6.00 bandaid! Guess I will be a ward of the state. Scary they want 30% of your income for this!

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
or should I take take every deduction presently allowed and show a loss on paper?.....

Like we don't take every deduction presently allowed? Of course we do, and we have tax professionals advising us to make sure that no deductions or credits are overlooked. Our "problem" is that profits remain on which taxes must be paid.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With the IRS rule change last year...I now have to pay the estimated tax!!! I hate that....I'd rather keep the money in my account then the governments...

Taxes are you friend. You must love them and care for them as they do you! You are not entitled to your earnings any longer. You MUST give them to those who don't earn for your own good. Your life will be enriched for it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I got dropped a few years ago by my insurance. Checked into the new plans and my new rates now will be over 1100. 00 a month with 6k out pocket before I can get that 6.00 bandaid! Guess I will be a ward of the state. Scary they want 30% of your income for this!

That is the other shoe that is about to drop. Most of the talk has been on the web site. Bigger issues are looming behind that.
On a side note, I do agree one consistently running their AGI at or near zero is not a recommended strategy.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is the other shoe that is about to drop. Most of the talk has been on the web site. Bigger issues are looming behind that.
On a side note, I do agree one consistently running their AGI at or near zero is not a recommended strategy.

The website stuff is a smoke screen to keep the masses from noticing what is up with the policies. They are NOT talking about that on the news outlets nor are they talking about how many have lost coverage. They are all shills for Obama. The "New Prada" is finally emerged. They no longer even pretend to present news. They spout what they are told to spout and nothing more.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

worked for me the last 7 years....I don't need to show profit...I own my home....I have all the credit I need....I can pay cash for nearly everything I need....I manage quite well at $0 AGI thank you....

with that said...if I were younger and building a business I can see how a $0 AGI would not help.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The website stuff is a smoke screen to keep the masses from noticing what is up with the policies. They are NOT talking about that on the news outlets nor are they talking about how many have lost coverage. They are all shills for Obama. The "New Prada" is finally emerged. They no longer even pretend to present news. They spout what they are told to spout and nothing more.

That is why they wanted people to sign up prior to seeing prices. They now let you supposedly shop, but those are the cheapest rates for the youngest most ideal person. Reality will set in when age and other items are added.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I am serious....really....my G.A.I. is almost $0. :)

The only way that is possible, honestly at least, is to file as a "not for hire" truck and take the mileage write off. If you are filing honestly as a "for hire" truck it is not likely you have enough write offs to zero out.... Unless, that is, you are driving less and making less :(

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is why they wanted people to sign up prior to seeing prices. They now let you supposedly shop, but those are the cheapest rates for the youngest most ideal person. Reality will set in when age and other items are added.

I just found out that the free market insurance is exactly like that.... age,weight and smoking was the biggest factor, now they can't use pre existing criteria..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only way that is possible, honestly at least, is to file as a "not for hire" truck and take the mileage write off. If you are filing honestly as a "for hire" truck it is not likely you have enough write offs to zero out.... Unless, that is, you are driving less and making less :(

100,000 miles was what?....$53,000 alone in deduction last year...and ya still have other running expenses and the per diem....so it is real easy to hit 0

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I just found out that the free market insurance is exactly like that.... age,weight and smoking was the biggest factor, now they can't use pre existing criteria..

They will make a difference. The estimates provided in the initial shopping, don't address that.
Once you sign up......surprise!

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
100,000 miles was what?....$53,000 alone in deduction last year...and ya still have other running expenses and the per diem....so it is real easy to hit 0

What I am saying is legally you cannot take the mileage as a write off being a "for hire" truck. If you are classifying yourself as "not for hire" and you get caught you could have a problem.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They will make a difference. The estimates provided in the initial shopping, don't address that.
Once you sign up......surprise!

Wait till you find out how much maternity care cost for a man! Talk about expensive!

When reading the fine print, which I bet that few due, look at just how much the "Federal Tax" on your health insurance is. Keep in mind that the feds tax what they DON'T like or DON'T want you to have. One cannot only look at the "cover page" and know the "real" story. Do ALL the research needed, you really need too do so to keep the rip off to a minimum.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I am saying is legally you cannot take the mileage as a write off being a "for hire" truck. If you are classifying yourself as "not for hire" and you get caught you could have a problem.

well according to Mr Katz here and MY book keeper I can....so with that said....unless YOU can show me your Accounting degree...

moose

Veteran Expediter
just finely got my letter from BCBS {Barbarian Corruption Bull Sheet}.
@least hey are honest to blame it all on ObamaCare.
starting the first of the year my premiums go up 34%.
me thinking it'll be 300% by the third year or so.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
just finely got my letter from BCBS {Barbarian Corruption Bull Sheet}.
@least hey are honest to blame it all on ObamaCare.
starting the first of the year my premiums go up 34%.
me thinking it'll be 300% by the third year or so.

Those increases are needed in case you become pregnant.

moose

Veteran Expediter
. I'll simply point out to readers that...
...They look at your annual statement of net worth and compare this year's number with previous years' numbers..
not according to most reputable credit fix company's.
it will depend what is one's financial goals.
if the goal of building a credit score is to become a qualifier for a future loan then, yes, 'money people' like that.
but way too many business owners fail to see the forest from the trees.
a good credit score is NOT the GOAL. it is a tool.
which is why we need to take 'money people' advice with a grain of salt.
the advice needs to come from a financial planer who specialized in the field of service we provide.