Health Insurance for Expediters; What do You See?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
just finely got my letter from BCBS {Barbarian Corruption Bull Sheet}.
@least hey are honest to blame it all on ObamaCare.
starting the first of the year my premiums go up 34%.
me thinking it'll be 300% by the third year or so.

Probably had a huge increase on your deductible as well. Also, some are finding out when they do a conversion, their new policy is no longer a multi-state policy. They are more of a HMO network.
Bad news for truckers as if they need services outside of their network, they basically have no coverage.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Probably had a huge increase on your deductible as well. Also, some are finding out when they do a conversion, their new policy is no longer a multi-state policy. They are more of a HMO network.
Bad news for truckers as if they need services outside of their network, they basically have no coverage.

Again, few are reading the fine print.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
oh you got me wrong, i like to be pregnant- just so i can have an abortion

I STILL want to be your business manager. What a shot at MASSIVE profits here! We could film the entire process from the conception to termination! Don't miss the boat! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
just finely got my letter from BCBS {Barbarian Corruption Bull Sheet}.
@least hey are honest to blame it all on ObamaCare.
starting the first of the year my premiums go up 34%.
me thinking it'll be 300% by the third year or so.

My brother and his family recently found out that their insurance plan is no longer going to be available because it doesn't meet Obamacare standards. Keep your current plan? That was a lie. Affordable? Not as of January.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
well according to Mr Katz here and MY book keeper I can....so with that said....unless YOU can show me your Accounting degree...

I don't think Katz recommended to keep showing a AGI of zero or less. The IRS will change your classification to "hobby", then let's see what's deductible, and after they audit the past 3 yrs returns, your AGI will equal G with no deductions, tax plus penalties plus interest will be due upon completion of audit. Good luck.

I am no tax expert and above is I'm sure an extreme example of what can happen, but the IRS will begin to question why you are working for nothing, year after year after year. Now, I do not know from experience and am quite happy showing a nice AGI at years end, using all the legal deductions possible of course. I have never understood the philosophy of not wanting to make more because taxes will be too high, you get to keep most of it, at least for now. Scary what may be coming down the pike, but those who are better prepared, well, will be better prepared.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My tax person used to work hard until she could get you down to about $12,000.
On year she said, the IRS isn't buying this crap that you'd do this for peanuts.
And they know this ain't no hobby.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think Katz recommended to keep showing a AGI of zero or less. The IRS will change your classification to "hobby", then let's see what's deductible, and after they audit the past 3 yrs returns, your AGI will equal G with no deductions, tax plus penalties plus interest will be due upon completion of audit. Good luck.

I am no tax expert and above is I'm sure an extreme example of what can happen, but the IRS will begin to question why you are working for nothing, year after year after year. Now, I do not know from experience and am quite happy showing a nice AGI at years end, using all the legal deductions possible of course. I have never understood the philosophy of not wanting to make more because taxes will be too high, you get to keep most of it, at least for now. Scary what may be coming down the pike, but those who are better prepared, well, will be better prepared.

you are correct...the IRS has expectations that you will be profitable ....to which I increase the bottom line to show an improvement in business....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My tax person used to work hard until she could get you down to about $12,000.
On year she said, the IRS isn't buying this crap that you'd do this for peanuts.
And they know this ain't no hobby.
I pay SS tax every year....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've never really had 0 either.....what I've said or meant, is I keep it down to where 0 income tax is owed.....I pay SS tax every year tho.....

Medicare as well, not JUST SS. There is a BIG difference between "0" AGI and "0" income tax owed. HUGE difference.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
ya got me there...I don't really know this system, of the differences....

It is MORE than possible to "0" out on taxes yet have an "AGI". AS to how it all works? I ain't got a clue. That is EXACTLY why I have a CPA working for me. Numbers suck, I don't like them, I don't understand them. They are "Arabic" after all! :rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is MORE than possible to "0" out on taxes yet have an "AGI". AS to how it all works? I ain't got a clue. That is EXACTLY why I have a CPA working for me. Numbers suck, I don't like them, I don't understand them. They are "Arabic" after all! :rolleyes:
I knew the Can system it is real easy....they have it down to about 3 pages..and that includes your name and address.....but this US tax code....forget it....LOL