Health Insurance for Expediters; What do You See?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A short stay in the hospital will, well, remember- The IRS is managing this crap...... Liens on bank accounts, homes, anything you have will be gone. The IRS is the only ones that CAN get Blood out of a rock.....

At least for now, the IRS does not have a lot of power to collect the fine that will be imposed if you do not buy health care insurance.

See: The Obamacare Penalty: Yes, It Can be Avoided

See also: Obamacare Penalties: 3 Things to Know Before 2014

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm a veteran but have never looked into VA health care benefits. How do they work? What is involved? What is covered?

Stop by an American Legion Post or contact the DAV. The VA is another government agency and the use of an "advocate" can help you through the process.

There are different priorities in VA care. 1-8, unless that has changed. 8 is the lowest with the highest co-pays. 1 the highest with no co-pays. Everything is covered, except dental care, unless the dental problem is service related.

It is not always a requirement to have a service connected problem to gain access to the system. MOST vets, more so for those of our age, can get in. It has become much harder lately due to the drastic increase of wounded vets, again, seek an advocate.

VA benefits are EARNED benefits and those who EARNED them should seek them out.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
why would anyone in this membership pay a fine?.....Unless you make too much money?.....hard to believe expediters AFTER expenses have ANY real income to worry about...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
why would anyone in this membership pay a fine?.....Unless you make too much money?.....hard to believe expediters AFTER expenses have ANY real income to worry about...

You have to pay for this mess out of that lack of income. It has been priced beyond the reach of many who earn a living. I don't know what you mean by "too much money" but it is not hard to do that in this business.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I would just like to thank all the flute players that voted for the current administration again. It was so wonderful of you to do so. Without your help and positive motivation , America would not be on her knees today. Yes isn't it wonderful, but hey, it won't affect you, you voted for Obama! You got a get out of jail free card....................

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would just like to thank all the flute players that voted for the current administration again. It was so wonderful of you to do so. Without your help and positive motivation , America would not be on her knees today. Yes isn't it wonderful, but hey, it won't affect you, you voted for Obama! You got a get out of jail free card....................

One administration or another this was enivitable....Healthcare was in the GOP's Radar as well...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am serious....really....my G.A.I. is almost $0. :)

Achieving a gross adjusted income of zero or near zero may be a goal for some. It is not a goal for Diane and me. Our focus is on building wealth, not achieving a zero GAI. We're not going to reduce our income, artifically move money around or lie so a particular line on our tax form looks "right." We're in this business to produce after-tax profits, not avoid them.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Achieving a gross adjusted income of zero or near zero may be a goal for some. It is not a goal for Diane and me. Our focus is on building wealth, not achieving a zero GAI. We're not going to reduce our income, artifically move money around or lie so a particular line on our tax form looks "right." We're in this business to produce profits, not avoid them.

My goal is NOT to pay taxes AND achieve profits....ask General Electric, they do it quite well....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So do straight trucks, BUT, WE make a profit, at least for now.

I make a profit.....just not on the tax form....:).....
IF I have the deductions and can show 0 income or close to it...should I ignore the deductions and deliberately pay taxes to satisfy an ego?....or should I take take every deduction presently allowed and show a loss on paper?.....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My goal is NOT to pay taxes AND achieve profits....ask General Electric, they do it quite well....

You and I have had this discussion before and I'm not going down that road again. I'll simply point out to readers that Cargo van operators have little in common with General Electric, and that when money people look to see how someone is doing financially, they do not look at Form 1040, line 37 (or Form 1040EZ, line 4; or Form 1040A, line 21). They look at your annual statement of net worth and compare this year's number with previous years' numbers.

While achieving a zero or near zero AGI, makes sense in some respects, it is not, in and of itself, a good strategy for building wealth.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can understand Phil and Diane's quest for the cash....with their background and earning potential NOT in this trade.....they have to make sure they get every dollar available....because then they could easily go back to that life and earn the big bucks...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I make a profit.....just not on the tax form....:).....
IF I have the deductions and can show 0 income or close to it...should I ignore the deductions and deliberately pay taxes to satisfy an ego?....or should I take take every deduction presently allowed and show a loss on paper?.....

Ego? Pay taxes to satisfy it? That would be nuts!

Up to this point, we have yet to have enough deductions to show "0" income. We cannot show a loss, at least not to this point. It has nothing to do with ego. Take all available deductions, by all means do so, don't let those bums in Washington get anymore than they can.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You and I have had this discussion before and I'm not going down that road again. I'll simply point out to readers that Cargo van operators have little in common with General Electric, and that when money people look to see how someone is doing financially, they do not look at Form 1040, line 37 (or Form 1040EZ, line 4; or Form 1040A, line 21). They look at your annual statement of net worth and compare this year's number with previous years' numbers.

While achieving a zero or near zero AGI, makes sense in some respects, it is not, in and of itself, a good strategy for building wealth.

I agree....there are some aspects....Like try to get a loan when on paper you are broke....:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ego? Pay taxes to satisfy it? That would be nuts!

Up to this point, we have yet to have enough deductions to show "0" income. We cannot show a loss, at least not to this point. It has nothing to do with ego. Take all available deductions, by all means do so, don't let those bums in Washington get anymore than they can.

With the IRS rule change last year...I now have to pay the estimated tax!!! I hate that....I'd rather keep the money in my account then the governments...