Expediters or not?

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Recently I had the pleasure of having the drivers of a "D" sized unit tell me that since I am no longer leased to FDCC I'm no longer considered an "Expediter". Futhermore, I was told that if my carrier was not listed on EO's website then they are not in the expedite business. I won't mention these drivers names as a professional courtesy.

So, if I specialize in hauling complete jet engines (valued at up to $20,000,000 each) or parts for downed jets that are sitting idle on the tarmac or in a leased hangar at a cost of $15,000 a day or more not counting the lost revenue per day the jet's owners are loosing, am I'm not still hauling expedited freight?

I'm amazed at the number of engines and parts in a short time we've hauled for FedEx and UPS.I can't imagine them not wanting much needed freight "expedited" to their repair facility!

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
When talking to people outside of the trucking industry, I don't use the term expediter. In truth, I don't always do expedited freight. I just get whatever is paying me enough to run. I did an LTL the other day that paid $700 to go 500 miles. It wasn't that urgent a time frame to qualify as an expedite, but the broker wasn't being as much of a cheapskate as some of the others. Sure, I've gotten better rates before, but that was pretty darn good for an LTL load.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You can call yourself what you want. A title is a state of mind. If you believe what you do is expediting, then you are an expediter.

I chose to name my company Logistics, instead of Expedite, as I do MORE than just expedite. Being an expediter, however, is what I am. Everything I carry, regardless if it's expedite, LTL, or 'exclusive use' freight, gets from A to B in a timely manner, depending on the needs of the customer.

Whoever told you that you aren't an expediter has a very narrow perception. I wouldn't worry about them.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
My guess is they were pulling your leg over a cup of coffee.

Thawk said.
You can call yourself what you want. A title is a state of mind. If you believe what you do is expediting, then you are an expediter.

So then I truly can be a King?

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got the feeling I know who said this and this seems to be in line with the other comments I have received too.

The amazing thing is, the word itself truly seems to have lost it's meaning in recent times and the idea of true emergency freight which majority of the time being hauled is dwindling fast with the lack of places that need the service.

The idea of timely pickups and deliveries which is good customer service more than it can be emergency freight.

FedEx, or at least some of the contractors (speaking of a couple to be exact) seem to think that there is no or little cross over between common truck freight with the other divisions and CC and used this idea that they only haul specialized freight with their RV expediter truck.

Using the concepts of what expediting was, you are one of the few who are doing this exclusively for one market within serious time constraints, so you are more of an expediter than I am.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Expedite freight is expedite freight no matter what size unit you have. For someone to say your not an expediter because you don't work for a company that doesn't put a banner on EO is CRAZY. Your hauling Critical shipments that needs to be there ASAP. Sounds like to me your an Expediter. Sounds like to me that someone is jealous that you got a good thing going with the engines you transport. My hats off to you for finding a good deal in this business that can put more money in your pocket.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
My guess is they were pulling your leg over a cup of coffee.

Thawk said.

So then I truly can be a King?

A Pinto can call itself a Cadillac. Doesn't mean it is, tho. That's ok, Your Highness. I'll acknowledge you as the King of Jamminland. ;)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Does it even matter? The day you let other people tell you who you are is the day you give your power away.

If it was me, and I configured my truck and business to haul jet engines, I would probably tell people I haul jet engines for a living. Whether other people consider that to be expediting or not would be of no concern. But if you want to call yourself an expediter, have at it. No objections here.

Last edited:

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
The couple that you spoke about are usually people you have a low opinion of everybody but a very high opinion of themselves, problem is they are almost always the ONLY one's that have that opinion. Just self-absorbed self-centered people. The world revolves around them and they think they're all that and a bag of chips, when usually they're not even the chips. And if you notice they usually don't have many friends.

I've seen places where someones customer needed some part or parts asap where the company just called a taxi to ship the parts. In my opinion for that run the taxi driver was an expeditor.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It's a disappointment that someone even suggested something that foolish. Doesn't really matter what your doing as long as you have an interest in expediting.
Wouldn't worry what others tell you.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
As others have mentioned, SO What if your company don't advertise on this site. Way too much credence given to that requirement to be an expediter. But, given the remarks made to McClain on anuther thread Jazbo may not consider you or your company expediters either because of not advertising here. But so what? Does them folks sign your check? Myself don"t make much difference what you call me, unless it's late for dinner or, payday.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
what does it matter what you are called,as long as you are happy and being able to pay the bills.you just have to remember what expedite is.look up the definition of expedite,and you will know if you are an expediter or not

Stinky

Seasoned Expediter
I find it funny that a FedEx driver would make that comment. It would seem more likely that HE is not an expeditor since he is not driving for Express America or Panther.:D

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Col, I think your confusing not advertising on this forum with advertising on the forum and not paying for it.

But will agree that one should not worry what the title is or is not. Same thing when some say that a straight truck driver ain't a real driver, ...... until they find out how much they make per mile.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
To clarify, I did not say that these drivers were FDCC, nor will I mention the name of their carrier as I'm sure the carrier sees things differently than they do. I will say that they most likely are new to the expedite industry and have yet to learn that expediting covers a much broader spectrum than just hauling high dollar mainframes, drugs, and artwork.

As for what type of driver I am in the eyes of others, that is of no real concern to me. Call me what you want. As long as I'm seen as a safe and professional driver, that's what is most important to me. It just amuses me what tunnel vision some people have when it comes to who is or is not an expediter.

Maybe the next time they fly they'll remember the drivers that help "expedite" the much needed parts to keep the jets safely in the air and help cut down on delays.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
JJ: as the internet allows folks to present themselves as whomever (or whatever) they like, until and unless someone proves you're NOT a king, you will be King JamminJim, & Queen Karin (to me, anyhow.) ;)
Now, could you make me a Duchess?:p
PS The original post is just too silly to debate, which is why it made me feel silly, too.
PPS I was serious about being a Duchess, though....:cool:

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Cheri1122

Silly, as in some of the other threads posted on this website. Yet people do find them worthy of a legitimate response. Glad I was able to amuse you! I must have missed something in my thread as I did not see it as "amusing", so enlighten me, please.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I didn't mean to insult you, Streakn - just ask yourself this: if someone called you short, fat, & ugly, would you be offended, if what you see in the mirror is tall, slim, & good looking? I bet you'd just shake your head at their stupid comments, no?
What I thought silly was the idea of letting someone else define who, or what you are, is all. You really don't want to give some knucklehead that kind of power, do you?