Downsizing the boards???

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The boards are way wacky right now for sure. I am in Atlanta now and it shows me as being on the Tifton board.

Oh the Petro is such a nice place. :D

the Petro is a snice place in ahhh Atlanta????
oh lord u must have gotten that Swine flu..or summtin....... cuz you must be runnin a fever. heh

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I think I can speak for most of the Driver Council members when I say PLEASE don’t blame us! We have a phone meeting this morning and from what I have learned so far I am screwed we will be required to dh many miles for next to nothing or get left out in the cold I am not happy at all. Time may prove me wrong but I don’t think so from what I heard this is a win for /panther and no one else.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is already screwed up, I am sitting in Atlanta was first out. They have dispatched around me 3 times in the last 12 hours now one of those has a first out. My acceptance rate is in the 90's, I do not raise h when i call in just ask questions in a professional manner. I keep getting different stories about how they are supposed to dispatch to you when your on the home tyme board. I think it depends on what story happens to fit the scenario. :confused:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Listen to the audio file on the drivers web. This is sounding similar to the Fed's express centers. 30 mile radius, but if you don't move to the suggested board, you go to the bottom of the list.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
That is where this is all messed up is this 30 mile radius. Esp. for Elite trucks. Sean Kessler responded back to a friends email that something might be done for the elite trucks so they are placed where they are needed most.

termite289

Expert Expediter
ok, im trying to get my head around this. and it isn't working for me.
when we unload, we are given a suggested virtual terminal to go to. there is a list f truck stops within 30 miles of that terminal. so we will get to meet a lot more panther drives. we go to one of the truck stops on the list to "check in" and then we are on the list for a load out. ok yea that sounds like fed-ex.
the thing i'm having trouble with is my hours of service as a solo driver. because when i unload at my customer after sleeping for 10 hours at their facility so that i will have full hours in the morning for my next load, if im more than 30 miles away from the virtual terminals truck stops, ill start my 14 hour clock going to check in. which means that i wont have 11 hours to run that afternoon when magic hour rolls around, but if i don't go check in, other drivers will bump me down the list as they check in.
Drivers with no hours can't haul freight.
im pretty good at split logging, and all the rest, and i like to make safety nervous by driving 10 .75 hours in a day, and have them tell me to stop and go to bed. but if i only have 7 hours of drive time when my next load comes across, then im going to have to swap it. a lot. and to me that means less miles than im already getting.
so i suppose my question is if we simply sit where we unload at, and don't go check in, are we going to loose board position when other drivers check in.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Other than losing board position, another question is, if you unload and sit, and a load comes up and you're by far the closest to the freight, will they even know you're there if it's more than 30 miles out? Are you completely shut out of all loads unless you are within a 30 mile radius of a virtual terminal? If you're in St Louis, you're definitely not on a board.

Also, they have several truck stops listed that are more than 30 miles from the virtual terminal. If you go there, you're off the board. Makes sense to me.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We are on our way home right now, we live in New Bern, NC. I'm watching our board position as we are traveling. We've been on the Raleigh/Durham board since we hit Greensboro and now we're east of Goldsboro headed for Kinston.
We live 167 miles from the first suggested truckstop on the Raleigh/Durham virtual terminal, when we go back in service after hometime, will we have to go and sit at a truckstop in Haw River in order to get a load?

termite289

Expert Expediter
is this going to be team up, or die?
hard to team up when nobody wants to ride in a truck that isnt going to run lots of miles. cant get it through some guys head that expediting is different.
let me hire a rookie.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
My take on boards being virtual or anything else. In 7 years have never had a empty move work. Waste of time, waste of fuel, waste of hard earned money which is getting harder to make. Any empty move I have taken I have always had to either DH back to where I just empty moved from or they want you to DH another 500 miles after moving 200 miles for a 300 mile run. Can't make a profit that way. I do know that I have gotten plenty a load staying were I am at or close by on a board that isn't there and got a load within 50 miles of where I am at. Now that I can put money in the Bank.

gunnrunnerX

Seasoned Expediter
Got mty near Meridian,Ms. 05/12 got on the computer to look at boards,and all we could see was Jackson and Biloxi,Ms. nothing else. called in to find out what was up,really didn't get any of our questions answered.One thing we were told was that as of05/18 when you get mty Panther will either tell to stay on that board or give you an mty move(did not say whether it would be paid or not)if you do not do what they said and move on your own every trk that Panther sent to the board you moved to goes on that board ahead of you,even though you got there first,its only fair,you weren't supposed to be there,right?Could not tell us what would happen if they stuck you on a crappy board.Don't know how everyone else does it but we usually don't sit on a crappy board,we move.And how about that trk stop list?I'd really like to layover in a service area on the Jersy Pike,Not sounding good.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
It seems to me, that Panther is trying to tell me how to drive my vehicle by "designating" preferred truckstops. Ok for instance, my mom lives in Salem, OH which "used and supposedly still is," on the Akron/Cleveland board. However, Salem is 41 miles from Akron. So when the new system impliments, am I not going to be able to stay at my moms and wait on a load????!!!!! I can see my family gettin pretty p/o'd at Christmastime when I tell them that I can't go because I have to stay within 30 miles of Akron. It seems like every year I am getting more "micro managed" and not able to make my own choices. Maybe it's just me.:(

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Well guys seems when I emailed Sean Kessler on this whole virtual terminal thing, his reply back to all my many numerous questions is that we are all misunderstanding how this is going to work. Not sure how we could all do that when we all heard the same message right?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dropped this am in Lafayette IN. The qc said I was on the Indy board and suggested a move to the Dayton board which is fine. What caught my eye was it said the Dayton board was only 60 miles. It would really be more like 140 miles from where I was. I called and they said they were not done updating the system yet.

I am curious if empty move mileage will be calculated from where we actually are or is it going to maybe be from a vt to a vt even though we could be a long way from the first vt?

I guess only time will tell.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am hoping I am not understanding it. We have a truck that just unloaded in CT and it says we are on a Long Island/Newburg board. The truck stops for this board are in NJ.
Not sure where the 30 starts or stops, but we are more than 30 away from NJ. I am not following the logic to go to NJ for a load that comes from CT where we are at. Tolls down to be within 30, and tolls back up if a load comes from that area we are currently sitting.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Apparently all these changes were implemented by office folks who have never been out there. They should have enlisted 2-3 operators of each size unit who have multiple years with Panther as advisers. They should be setting this up based on optimum settings for the operators that still allow proper servicing of the shippers.

Louisville/Lexington is a prime example. Louisville had a higher daily load count than Lexington but Lex was made the board. Common sense input from an actual operator would have designated Waddy as the board thereby giving adequate truck stop facilities and being equal distance from both. Lex has nothing to offer for layover other than walmart lots and is a poor choice.

They have excellent resources available to make this over into a very good system. They just aren't choosing to use them. As is always the case (in all industries) that leads to less than optimal results. I'd have put things right but they didn't call to ask me what to do so I wasn't able to tell them to ask Dave. (Semi joking as it's a bigger job than any one person should have but not joking that his input would have been quite valuable).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The first major overhaul of the boards the solicited no input from drivers, and ended up with a Charlie Foxtrot that necessitated massive input from drivers, so they made some changes, but still left the boards in fine Charlie Foxtrot fashion. Based on that experience, you would think that driver input in planning this latest overhaul would be on the To-Do List, if not at the very top of it. But, alas, no.

Which pretty much reinforces the theory that carriers view drivers as tools, necessary evils they must pay for to get the job done. Oh, they'll go on and on about how it's "all about you guys" and "we're all about the drivers", but their actions betray them every time. For example, where's the highly detailed PDF that gives us "tools" all the information we need on this new program? If they know the details, there's no reason not to give them to us. Instead of a couple of messages telling us that things are gonna change, and then piecemealing the boards that make no sense when we view them, there should have been from the very beginning a comprehensive report detailing what was to happen. Now it's here and we still don't know what is happening. The highly informative audio file raised far more questions than it answered. Excellent.

There's a new "fleet message" on the Driver Web that will probably be sent out late this afternoon. It says as of 5/18, the final phase of the virtual terminal alignment will take place. I'm not sure of that means it will take place as of today, or merely that it will, eventually, take place. It also says go listen to the recording for more details on how the program will work once fully operational. More details? First thing you hear on the recording is that it's a "brief overview" so we can understand the philosophy behind the changes. There are no details, other than it will become fully operational in mid-June. Meanwhile we're already dealing with a new board system that isn't fully functional which has some pretty glaring issues with their placements, regardless of the philosophy behind it.

They're all about the drivers, they're all about communication, yet we see very little of either. You gotta take a wait and see approach to it, largely because we've received so little information about the details, but based on how things have been implemented thus far, I'm not hopeful or excited about the new and exciting changes. People n the office are clearly aware of the fact that we're in the dark, confused and likely misunderstanding things, yet there has been no attempt to alleviate any of those issues. That's because we're tools. Or they are, one or the other.

Fr8 Shaker:
The truck stop list in on the Driver Web, 5/13/2009 Truck Stop Listing for New Terminals, an Excel file.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
ok, i found the list now I just need to know how to open it. I clicked on the attatchment but I don't have the program to open it.