Downsizing the boards???

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you have microsoft works, you can read it. Save the file to harddrive and then use Works to open it.

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
Virtual terminals, virtual truckstops, pretty soon it's going to be a virtual business. Somebody's been playing too many video games in Seville.

termite289

Expert Expediter
the list was created with office excel. download an excel viewer and viola.
hmm im number 5 on the list this afternoon. everyone ahead of me has a first out. perhaps on the litle flaggy thing where the board city pops up they could show load count per day and trucks available, so those of us who don't have a first out, don't freaking starve. anyone want a truck

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is going to be another problem we will have to deal with. 1st outs. now that the boards are larger there will be more 1st outs to deal with. example,I have been sitting in Blacksburg,SC which is now on the Charlotte,NC board and have been moving up and back on my board position. there are 3 1st outs ahead of me and seems like as soon as one moves out here comes another one. at this rate I will never get out of here!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They're going to have to account for trucks being at home and available. That will put some trucks farther than 30 miles from the board or terminal or whatever it's called this week. It's wrong to require a guy to leave home to go sit in his truck for who knows how long just to be within 30 miles of a board though. They've also got to freeze first outs to absolutely only for a mini. For loads other than a mini they're going to have to charge the customer enough to pay enough to make it worthwhile or tell the customer no. One of my teams has been floating up and down the board since Friday because of first outs.

termite289

Expert Expediter
up and down the load board i go,
lik a monkey chasin a weasel,
sooner or later im coming unglued,
POP goes the poor son of a beach that asked me if i want my wheels polished, for the fifth time.

Last edited:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I was in Seville on Monday and I talked to Frank about the V/T and I expressed the frustration that we have with it and he talked about Panthers frustration in trying to come up with something that will work. The long and short of it it that he is holding off on its total startup until he can better explains it so that it makes sense to us. As for New England we talked about Boston being the board when Springfield would make more sense. Also you see some truck stops that are out more than 30 miles. Well that is because the 30 mile number isn’t a hard and fast rule for every board. The reason is some of the boards wouldn’t have a truck stop at all if it was limited to 30 miles and he was open to the idea of going back to the 50 mile radius that we had before. Also as for the flying j truck stops Frank takes the blame for that he freely admits he isn’t a trucker and isn’t familiar with all of the truck stops and the T/A’s that were left off will now be added. There will be another message coming out the council members will hear it first and then supply input on it before it’s released so even that message will not be the final draft until after we talk it over. With that said they are at least acknowledging that they aren’t where they need to be with this program. Just today I got an m/t move for 303 miles which would make my run a $0.93 pm run not worth starting the truck up for that rate if you ask me. Not to mention it’s a day’s worth of driving for zero pay the new maps are up and look cool but they should show more info.

termite289

Expert Expediter
READY!!!! AIM!!!!
NO.NO, MOVE THE SHOE LACES.
I don't want to move the shoe lace with you pointing that thing.
JUST MOVE THE SHOE LACES SO I CAN GET THIS OVER WITH.
I am not moving the shoelace with you pointing that thing, i like my fingers, and want to keep them.
OK, USE A STICK TO MOVE THE SHOE LACES.
fine, where is a stick.
UMM, I DON'T KNOW. USE THE BROOM HANDLE.
ok, where is the broom?
IT'S OVER THERE IN THE CLOSET.
ok i got the broom, which shoe lace would you like me to move.
HMM, THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION. WHICH ONE DO YOU THINK I SHOULD KEEP?
i suppose it depends on which side you wish to limp on.
WELL, IF I HOLD THE CANE IN MY RIGHT HAND, ILL BE OPENING DOORS WITH MY LEFT.
true, but what if you have to take a message over the phone.
OK, SO I NEED TO HOLD THE CANE WITH MY LEFT HAND THEN.
yea, left hand for the cane.
OK, COVER YOUR EARS.
see, had i reached down with my fingers for the laces, i couldnt put them in my ears.
YOUR SUCH A SMART BUT SOMETIMES.
i know, but then who is the one holding the gun to their foot.
HMM, GOOD POINT. NOW ARE YOU READY?
yea, i have 913 on speed dial.
913??? IT'S 911 YOU DUMMY!!!
i called them earlier, and they said emergencies were not planned. they said to call 913 if we were going to plan an emergency.
WHAT!!!??? THAT IS THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD OF.
really??? and this isn't?
STOP PATRONIZING ME. NOW I AM GOING TO DO THIS AND THEN YOUR GOING TO GET ME TO THE HOSPITAL?
wait, let me check and see how many hours i have available.

********this is simply me trying to smile about the whole thing, hope you got a kick out of it too************

Reactions: 1 person

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Whenever possible the primary truckstop for any board should be a T/A because of the huge fuel discounts at many of them. They really need to stop doing anything until they get the right people doing it. Nothing against any of them but if they haven't been out here doing this they don't know how to set it up for those who are.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
I agree 100% Leo and if Frank has never been in trucking then he shouldn't be the one doing this. I think one person who knew what he was doing when it came to good ideas for drivers was Dave Feigler!

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Well guys seems when I emailed Sean Kessler on this whole virtual terminal thing, his reply back to all my many numerous questions is that we are all misunderstanding how this is going to work. Not sure how we could all do that when we all heard the same message right?

well to understand it the person explaning it has to have a clue,that's the first problem, second is as already voiced these guys have not been on a truck and i think that they think a New jersey map and a Texas map cover about the same amount of ground

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I was in Seville on Monday and I talked to Frank about the V/T and I expressed the frustration that we have with it and he talked about Panthers frustration in trying to come up with something that will work. The long and short of it it that he is holding off on its total startup until he can better explains it so that it makes sense to us. As for New England we talked about Boston being the board when Springfield would make more sense. Also you see some truck stops that are out more than 30 miles. Well that is because the 30 mile number isn’t a hard and fast rule for every board. The reason is some of the boards wouldn’t have a truck stop at all if it was limited to 30 miles and he was open to the idea of going back to the 50 mile radius that we had before. Also as for the flying j truck stops Frank takes the blame for that he freely admits he isn’t a trucker and isn’t familiar with all of the truck stops and the T/A’s that were left off will now be added. There will be another message coming out the council members will hear it first and then supply input on it before it’s released so even that message will not be the final draft until after we talk it over. With that said they are at least acknowledging that they aren’t where they need to be with this program. Just today I got an m/t move for 303 miles which would make my run a $0.93 pm run not worth starting the truck up for that rate if you ask me. Not to mention it’s a day’s worth of driving for zero pay the new maps are up and look cool but they should show more info.

I find this hard to beleive really becouse they had a system that worked fairly well it told you where and where not to sit unlike this new system.and might i add that restricting it to 30 miles in heavily conjested area with little or no parking places puts that much more of a strain on the already nearly full truck stops in that area

it appears brownville and larado are on the same boards again and with having to be within 30 miles of the V/T this means if you drop in brownsville you have to drive 200 miles to sit and then have a 50/50 chance of having to drive another 200 miles back to Brownsville to pick up the load(but we have some really bright people working on it!!!)

I'm with Dave i really hope i'm misunderstanding it, becouse if you apply it to real world situation the way it has been explained it just ... well ... stupid!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I believe the missing component in all of this is that it wasn't developed with any of the drivers. Just as we don't know what would be the perfect fit for the dispatch office, they don't know what a perfect fit in the field would be. You need both for a successful program.
In this case, don't complicate the simple.
Adjust terminal locations to be centrally located. Some need to be moved from coastal areas.
Stretch the boards to 100 miles. With that, you have coverage and won't need a truck stop guide. If a driver can't find one within a 100 miles of a terminal, they shouldn't be doing this.
Reinstate empty moves that make sense. (the reason some don't move now)
Example. You don't EM a truck to SLC when there are 9 there with a two a day load average. Doesn't matter if they are in Montana or Detroit. That 1000 mile load to Montana doesn't look too appealling if I had to divide that over a week of waiting.
Forget about check in/check out program. Waste of time and effort and accomplishes nothing. No reason to have a team/solo leave from home to sit on a board. This drives up the operators cost while accomplishing nothing.
Let trucks sit where they want. Case in point above. If you unload in Brownsville or San Antonio, why DH to Laredo? Loads come out of those other locations. Jut not as many. Drivers can make the call based on the amount of trucks and loads for a given area, and then determine whether to move or not.
It is their loss if they refuse to move. If they lose a day, so what? They still lose a day plus have to absorb the cost of running back and forth if this plan is implemented as I understand it.
First in/ first out based on dwell time.
Limit a lot of the pre-dispatching when a board is already filled with trucks. Case in point. Chicago is doing roughly 15 loads a day. We started 6 with 10 there and only moved to three. One of our other trucks inbounding to Chicago was offered three different loads, and wasn't there yet. Two of those loads weren't offered to our truck already there. If it was busy I understand the logic to shoot some loads out and leave some to maintain coverage. Certainly don't need 10. Between first outs and pre dispatching, the middle batch of trucks will hemorrhage. If the load count is accurate, and we moved three spots, (two first outs came in and knocked us back) it tells me that roughly half the load count for the day was pre dispatched to trucks not showing as they hadn't arrived yet.
No real need to do that unless all the existing trucks on location, turn that load down.
Provide a list of the zip codes that freight comes out of. This was done last year. Case in point would be Laredo. Don't need all the trucks piled in Laredo. Or say VA. The current board is Richmond. We were Wytheville. Makes no sense to go to Richmond to only be dispatched on a load back out of Wytheville. Guess what? We did get a load. Pickup was in Wytheville. Ummm????
I would do the above. A simple 100 mile radius, first in/first out based on dwell time. Of course distance to the customer if there is tight time constraints.
Again, no need to complicate the simple.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with Dave i really hope i'm misunderstanding it, becouse if you apply it to real world situation the way it has been explained it just ... well ... stupid!

These are virtual terminals, virtual boards and virtual maps; never apply virtual reality to real reality. Reality bites! Virtual reality gnaws. Gnaws away at your brain and your very being. Soon you buy into the notion of virtual miles, virtual pay and virtual freight. There is no virtue in virtual reality, really!

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
Of course you are right Moot. After listening to the virtual speech 3 times I got this from it: you must go and stay at the VT the all knowing computor sends you to or face being bumped an unlimited number of times at a VT you choose. (good luck at some of these hot spots ) You must be within 30mi of VT to be considered for loads from that VT. and this is going to help the customer ? Case in point is the Lansing,Mi VT. I have to drive thru GR. to get to the Lansing VT. or through Kazoo and Battle Creek to get to Lansing VT. I have never gotten a load from Lansing area in 4 yrs but always from GR,Kazoo or BC. Have gotten loads from 80 mi north of GR 5times in last 2 months but now will have to drive 76mi to get to lansing to get loads from GR or north of there adding another 100 mi plus to the DH. If Panther is trying to self destruct it could not have found a better way then the VT system as it stands. Another example is the area around Erie,Pa., have gotten 3 loads in last three weeks from that area but no VT closer then Buffalo,NY. Makes no business sense at all from experience, of course Buffalo and Toronto overlap just as Lansing and Taylor overlap. Many examples of this -guess the ones implementing should have looked at a map and tried to cover this with a little common sense
Now for the fun part went back into service on the 19th stopped in Plainwell,mi to pickup supplies, showed 9th on Lansing VT, got an offfer to pu in Kazoo to Indy, was closest truck but after the middle of june I would not have gotten the offer as I was not within 30 mi of the lansing VT. even though I would still be the closest truck. This is the flaw in the thinking of Panther at this time, they are going to disregard the available trucks that are closest to a shipper in favor of their rules which don't service the customer- also take look at the lakeshore area-slow now but still shipping guess panther is going to let any customer that is more then 120mi from Lansing just look for a closer truck company(E_1,Fed,ect.?)Not just in Mi and Pa but all over the midwest and east coast. ME tthinks they hired a Fedx MOLE to fix their non problem-Panther adjust the flaws in the old system or return to 50mi of major cities - DON'T throw the baby out with the bath water which if this VT system is implemented as is ,will surely do. Thats my rant now back to the regularly scheduled EO backstabbing

Last edited:

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Of course you are right Moot. After listening to the virtual speech 3 times I got this from it: you must go and stay at the VT the all knowing computor sends you to or face being bumped an unlimited number of times at a VT you choose. (good luck at some of these hot spots ) You must be within 30mi of VT to be considered for loads from that VT. and this is going to help the customer ? Case in point is the Lansing,Mi VT. I have to drive thru GR. to get to the Lansing VT. or through Kazoo and Battle Creek to get to Lansing VT. I have never gotten a load from Lansing area in 4 yrs but always from GR,Kazoo or BC. Have gotten loads from 80 mi north of GR 5times in last 2 months but now will have to drive 76mi to get to lansing to get loads from GR or north of there adding another 100 mi plus to the DH. If Panther is trying to self destruct it could not have found a better way then the VT system as it stands. Another example is the area around Erie,Pa., have gotten 3 loads in last three weeks from that area but no VT closer then Buffalo,NY. Makes no business sense at all from experience, of course Buffalo and Toronto overlap just as Lansing and Taylor overlap. Many examples of this -guess the ones implementing should have looked at a map and tried to cover this with a little common sense
Now for the fun part went back into service on the 19th stopped in Plainwell,mi to pickup supplies, showed 9th on Lansing VT, got an offfer to pu in Kazoo to Indy, was closest truck but after the middle of june I would not have gotten the offer as I was not within 30 mi of the lansing VT. even though I would still be the closest truck. This is the flaw in the thinking of Panther at this time, they are going to disregard the available trucks that are closest to a shipper in favor of their rules which don't service the customer- also take look at the lakeshore area-slow now but still shipping guess panther is going to let any customer that is more then 120mi from Lansing just look for a closer truck company(E_1,Fed,ect.?)Not just in Mi and Pa but all over the midwest and east coast. ME tthinks they hired a Fedx MOLE to fix their non problem-Panther adjust the flaws in the old system or return to 50mi of major cities - DON'T throw the baby out with the bath water which if this VT system is implemented as is ,will surely do. Thats my rant now back to the regularly scheduled EO backstabbing

OH NOOOOOOOOOooooooooo im in lansing now........ ** bursting into tears**
think im going bk to bed