David Letterman - Prince of Late Night Cowardice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
By now most everyone has heard the classless comments made by Letterman recently about Sarah Palin and her 14 year-old daughter. I call attention to this because the Left-wingers are always squealing about the "hate-mongers" of Right-Wing Talk Radio without ever saying a word about the bilge coming from second rate clowns like Letterman. For those who haven't seen/heard his insults, here's an excerpt from the link that follows:

"He’s been on a roll about Sarah Palin since her recent trip to New York in support of causes related to finding a cure for autism and honoring William Seward, the former secretary of state who bought Alaska from Russia. First, he had her in his Top 10 list. Among the ‘jokes’ in his list was a comment about her ‘Slutty Flight Attendant look’. He’s calling the Governor of Alaska a ’:censoredsign:’? That’s pretty low-down and low-class, not to mention misogynistic.
It gets worse though. In the monologue, he goes after Palin’s 14-year-old daughter, Willow Palin. He ‘jokes’ about her going to the Yankees’ game with her mother and Rudy and Judith Giuliani. His joke has to do with Sarah Palin’s minor daughter getting ‘raped’ and ‘knocked up’ by Alex Rodriguez during the game."

David Letterman Sarah Palin Insult (Videos) Blue Star Chronicles

There's all kinds of tacky comments that could be made about Michelle Obama's or Nancy Pelosi's looks or styles, and one can imagine the outcry from the media if Limbaugh, Beck or Hannity made similar comments about them. The piece de resistance however is the cheap shot he took at Willow Palin who is 14 years old. Wonder if he ever thought about making "knocked up" jokes about Chelsea Clinton when she was that age? What would the reaction have been if he had?

The bottom line is that there is, and always has been, a huge double standard with the hate mongering that the media claims is an exclusive domain of conservatives. Letterman is probably the worst, but when you include others like Jon Stewart, Bill Mahr, Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnell (just to name a few) it would seem the left-wing haters might just have the advantage in numbers. CBS probably won't do a thing about Letterman, given their obvious satisfaction with lousy ratings. However, if all the conservatives or just plain decent folks with teenage daughters started boycotting Letterman's sponsors perhaps they would see fit to put him out in the same pasture as Dan Rather.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
i heard his crap on the radio today...and yes barry just laughs at this type of stuff....but hey its us conservatves that do it and out up with the conserative radio .....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I want to find out who the sponsors are and boycott them until he apologizes which means never buying their stuff again since he won't apologize.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here ya go - Letterman Advertisers:

Mars Candy
Best Western
Embassy Suites
Lexus
Capitol One
eBay
Other advertisers:
TV.Com
On the Border Restaurants
Intel
CBSsports.com
JohnFreida.com
DiTech
Earn My Degree
True Credit by Trans Union
Lifelock
Bowflex
ancestry.com

It turns out there is a website that is also promoting this idea:
List of David Letterman’s Advertisers HillBuzz

The suggest concentrating on the first three on the list:
Mars Candy
Best Western
Embassy Suites

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I don't use motel rooms but I'll look into MARS candy and see if anything I like is part of that group and if so I'll inform them they've lost a customer and why.

And that would include Starburst, Skittles, M&M's, Twix and Uncle Ben's. All duly noted and emailed to Mars.

Last edited:

DougTravels

Not a Member
With all the blessings of the new lord god Ohama Obama.
C'mon Layout that is over the top. Great improvement in the Oval office-yes, Finally someone looking out for Americas best interests-yes, not leading us into wars because of personal vendettas-yes, Restoring Americas image abroad-yes, working towards repairing our devastated economy-yes.

Lord God? If you think so, I guess I won't argue.

I think he is just an educated, smart,honest, noble representative of the American people.

I am glad to see you got over your unfounded hatred of our President, but maybe you should tone it down a wee bit.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Republican Party really ticks me off sometimes. Letterman is a comedian, sometimes the jokes work, sometimes, they don't. Making a joke about a "slutty flight attendant look" is not the same as calling someone slutty. And getting mad about it and claiming that it is the same thing, is no different than saying a rape victim was "asking for it" because of how they looked. Just because you look slutty doesn't mean you are. And Palin doesn't even look slutty, anyway. Those who are getting mad over this apparently think she does.

Sarah Palin has a very conservative position on family values and teenage abstinence, a stance she wants to impart onto those in her state, yet she can't make it work in her own home with her own kids. That's wide open to being joked about.

But for conservatives to just go butt ballistic over this shows just how directionless the Party is right now. It's the same fake outrage that engulfed Don Imus, going nuts just to be heard, about anything, in order to make a point that you cannot get heard on its own. If the Party had any direction, and any conviction about that direction, then comedy, even tasteless comedy, wouldn't phase them one bit. They would have more important issues to worry about, important goals to attain. But they don't.

Instead, they get bogged down in rhetoric over non-issues, and in trying to defend what can only be described as a stone cold political liability in Sarah Palin. As long as Sarah Palin is the face of the Party, the party will never be taken seriously, not by enough people to matter. They will not be able to resurrect her from the ashes, and there's no point in trying. They need to move on to someone else, quit whining that they lost the White House and Congress, and start setting clear goals (other than getting their power back). They need goals that work for America, and right now they don't have a clue where to start.

So go ahead and do your liberal-esque feel-good boycott. It won't mean a thing. It's just meaningless posturing about yet another non-issue.

Last edited:

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Nothing to get your shorts all in a wrinkle over. After all don`t forget...we are in charge. When Letterman's ratings tank. So will he. Its as simple as that. If they stay up, we only have ourselves to blame.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
C'mon Layout that is over the top. Great improvement in the Oval office-yes, Finally someone looking out for Americas best interests-yes, not leading us into wars because of personal vendettas-yes, Restoring Americas image abroad-yes, working towards repairing our devastated economy-yes.

I think he is just an educated, smart,honest, noble representative of the American people.

I am glad to see you got over your unfounded hatred of our President, but maybe you should tone it down a wee bit.

NO comment on most of what you say, sameo sameo slogan stuff. I abhor this type of thing. The blasting of peoples families is wrong. Personal jabs are wrong. These types of things are one of the main reasons that we have such un-qualified candidates running. This election saw the most un-quailifed field in my lifetime. Obama is NO expection. NO experience in anything related to the job he now holds.

There was a man several years ago, Bobby Inman, who was approached about running. He refused. He did not want his family subjected to this sort of thing. I met him once, when he was director of the NSA. Strong, competent, massive backround and great leadership qualitites. Even though you most likely would have not liked his polititcs you most likely been inpressed with the man. Straight shooter, honest and not one to be pole driven. He would NOT have been owned by anyone.

We need to get back to honest vetting of candidates, not the silly stuff that the press practices now. We should demand higher quality candidates. We need to gut the power of both major parties. Niether are worth the mess a dog makes.

You are correct, I do NOT like Obama's polititics. I don't know about him, never met him. It is unlikely that I would but stranger things have happened. He is not a person I would ever want to hang around with. He does NOT come up to my moral standards.

On the surface I WOULD have be interested in meeting Jerry Curry. He was the ONLY candidate of the bunch last year that even came CLOSE to my standards. He never stood a chance and was never really looked at. Too honest for either party. Look him up, you MIGHT find him interesting.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With all the blessings of the new lord god Ohama Obama.

Lower case lettering shows no special respect and means the user is specifically showing it is not a reference to deity.

Upper case lettering is the acknowledged standard of respect and deification. As usual, you are the one giving holy status to the man and uttering praise after praise after praise.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The point wasn't the top ten list the point was the improper comments about a 14 year old girl. The fact that the older sister didn't follow what she'd been taught has nothing to do with it. Throwing that in is the typical M.O. of liberals, avoid the specific issue by redirecting to a tangential issue that means nothing to the point at hand.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Lower case lettering shows no special respect and means the user is specifically showing it is not a reference to deity.

Upper case lettering is the acknowledged standard of respect and deification. As usual, you are the one giving holy status to the man and uttering praise after praise after praise.

AH!!! Someone caught how I do that eh? So few do these days, Leo. :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard Letterman on the radio a little while ago making a non-apology. He could have been a man and stepped up and said they weren't aware the daughter with her was 14 and unwisely included a monologue joke that was in poor taste and not funny and never should have been included. He could have scored some points as a man stepping up when he should. Instead he blabbed on about stupidity and never acknowledged wrongdoing or apology. He scored zero points and just further cemented his reputation as a worthless leftist liberal hack.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
c'mon.....who apologizes for humor.

letterman is just trying to out bad taste conan for audience share. relax. in a month its over.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well see here is the problem, the staff is at fault for the comment, it is their job to ensure things are done right. 14 years olds are off limits, it makes no sense to see it any other way. If we bring her daughter into the picture, then Obama's kids are also fair game and it will never end.

But because he made a joke out of the apology and didn't take responsibility for saying it, he is at fault for the entire matter at that point. He is the guy in charge and needs to be professional but like so many others, he is going to skate.

I think a real boycott is in order, he like other entertainers forgets who pays the bills, it isn't the sponsors but the audience.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
His making a joke of an apology shows just what a childish immature litte boy he is. A MAN would have stood up and done it correctlly. Boys act like him. :(

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What, exactly, did Letterman say about this 14 year old girl? Nothing, that's what.

He obviously, and admittedly, confused the daughter that was with Sarah Palin as being the 18 year old daughter and not the 14 year old. His joke didn't mention the girl's name, nor her age.

"One awkward moment for Sarah Palin at the Yankee game, during the seventh inning, her daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez."

Doesn't say 14, doesn't say her name, doesn't even say raped. ON the surface it's a funny joke, 'cause A Rod is known to have sex with anything that moves, and Palin's daughter is know to have gotten herself knocked up. It's only when you read into it what's not there that it becomes a problem.

So like I said, go ahead and plug yourself into an issue that don't matter. See what that gets ya.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
1st the joke wasn't funny and to connect either girl to a-rod and his sexual conquest was ignorant and there was no reason.. to me the kids are off limits not just palins, but all of the elected reps kids no matter what party.

You let anything in bad taste be said about barrys kids, and the left and the media would go nuts.....

Status
Not open for further replies.