David Letterman - Prince of Late Night Cowardice

Status
Not open for further replies.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You got that right, just ONE word, JUST ONE and all heck would break out. Not only with the media, in the streets. This is a VERY bad thing with even mentioning candidates kids. THEY are NOT running.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It very much does make a difference and would be no different if said about Chelsea Clinton at 14, Amy Carter at 14 or one of Obama's kids at 14. Before that joke was included they should have made sure who they were talking about. It would have been in poor taste about Palin's older daughter but she's at least of age. The staff was wrong to include it without full information. Letterman was wrong to not question it to confirm full information. Letterman was further wrong to "apologize" in the manner he did. Letterman's status as a supposed comedian means nothing and gives him no special pass. Conan's total lack of talent and apparent competition with Letterman for stupidest unfunny man on tv also means nothing and gives him no special pass. He screwed up and he failed the test afterward. Let's imagine what would happen if Rush or Hannity or any of those said the same thing about Obama's kid. We have to imagine it because it will never happen but the outcome would be quite a show.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There IS a real double standard. I could prove it in here, all I need do is make a crack about Obama's daughters and you would see it in action!! I won't lower my self to that just to prove a point but I promise you I would get jumped faster than a hen mallard in April!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"1st the joke wasn't funny..."

That much is true. Could have been. It was close, but it was no cigar.

"and to connect either girl to a-rod and his sexual conquest was ignorant and there was no reason.."

The reason was comedy. A Rod has long been the butt of jokes, especially in the New York media, where Letterman works. One of Palin's daughters got knocked up, despite her stance on teenage abstinence, which is ripe for comedy. The two put together is all kinds of funny. Letterman incorrectly assumed that the daughter who was at the game was the same one who got pregnant, and if it was, the joke would have been funny, but she wasn't, so the joke isn't funny.

To suggest Letterman purposefully made a joke about the raping of an underage girl is just assinine, and is something that only, until today, a Liberal would do. Gag me with a spoon.

"to me the kids are off limits not just palins, but all of the elected reps kids no matter what party."

Obama's kids aren't old enough to have done anything worthy of comedy. Yet.

Chelsea Clinton was routinely found in comedy routines. So were the Bush babes.
Cheney's daughter got her share of jokes made about her.

And Bush Sr's kids were just pummeled :D

When you run for public office, especially on a national stage, your private life is out there on display (well, not Obama's, 'cause he's special), including your family.

The frustrations of the Republican Party over being a failure are now focused, and well redirected, onto a comedian. Perfect. Anyone want to watch the reruns of McCain and Palin doing their SNL Home Shopping Network routine? That'll get the Party back on the right track.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think that was my point, Turtle, it IS wrong reguardless of who's kids are getting battered like that. I have NO use for ANYONE that would go after kids like that. NONE. It has to stop and don't give me any 1st Amendment stuff, that is NOT political speech, sleeze is sleeze, it cannot and should not be excused. Excusing stupidity, crasness and scumbagerry is just enabling them. It should stop and now. We really do need to get back to standards of decency. I would fire the bunch if I were in charge, rating be darned!!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I think Lettermans' so called "joke" wasn't a mistake, he meant every word of it. The mistake was which daughter he was speaking about. I believe the man is a fool, and this proves it, when he doesn't even know "who" he is making the joke of.
Now, about the Republican hysteria over this issue, also foolish. There are much bigger issues that need to be dealt with, and spending this much airtime talking about a "fool and his joke" is just crazy.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My original point was the double standard that exists in the media regarding reaction to comments about democrats as opposed to comments about republicans; at this point I've seen nothing that changes my mind, because all the media reaction has come from conservative commentators. However, the most reaction seems to have come from the general public and that's probably what precipitated Letterman's non-apology. Don't think for a minute that sponsors/advertisers aren't sensitive to this sort of thing, especially in a slow economy when every revenue dollar counts. Why do you think Kellogg's yanked Michael Phelps' picture off the corn flakes boxes after the picture came out showing him smoking pot?

It's still my contention that this attack on Sarah Palin and her daughter is part of a continuing effort by the left to marginalize her effectiveness as a candidate. They will keep pouring on the scorn and ridicule because in reality they know that a large part of the conservative base still likes her a lot. The "slutty flight attendant look" comment was a dim-witted cheap shot that was obviously part of a general behavioral theme Letterman was trying to promote about Palin's family, especially when taken in context with the quip about her daughter that was part of the same routine. Granted, he didn't say anything about rape but the suggestion about her daughter and A-Rod was still offensive. I also don't believe for a second that he mistakenly thought he was talking about the 18 year-old daughter. Considering the print and photo coverage given Palin by the NY media, they knew exactly who she was traveling with the minute she got off the plane. Wonder how long it will be before Letterman or somebody like him starts making jokes about Palin's Down's Syndrome baby? Wonder what the media would say if he referred to Obama's kids as "yard apes?" After all, it's just a fact now that any kid of any politician is fair game once they get their pictures in the media.

Personally, I think I'll go the boycott route - I don't need the calories from M&M's and Snickers bars anyway. Turtle's right - it may not have any effect on Mars at all. But it's kind of like throwing a golf ball into a water hazard when it doesn't go in the hole like it's supposed to. It doesn't accomplish anything, but it sure does feel good.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
At the end of the day, I think Letterman is trying to gain as much traction as he can before Leno comes back. He can easily beat Conan, but doesn't hold a flame to Leno.

DougTravels

Not a Member
At the end of the day, I think Letterman is trying to gain as much traction as he can before Leno comes back. He can easily beat Conan, but doesn't hold a flame to Leno.

Letterman definitely thought it was the older daughter and he apologized.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
For all the attention the left seems to be giving her, it almost makes one wonder whether they are afraid of her?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Letterman definitely thought it was the older daughter and he apologized.

Doug, when did you and Dave talk so you know what was in his head? How do you know he wasn't lying to you? And where can we read his actual apology? All they've played on radio and tv was his sidestepping non-apology.

DougTravels

Not a Member
Doug, when did you and Dave talk so you know what was in his head? How do you know he wasn't lying to you? And where can we read his actual apology? All they've played on radio and tv was his sidestepping non-apology.

I heard what he said and yes it sounded like an apology to me. I do not believe for 1 second he meant to talk about a 14 year old getting knocked up.

Do you know what was in his head? Did you talk to him? I don't need to talk to Dave, I give him the benefit of the doubt, Go ahead with your silly little boycott.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The fact is that it is just this sort of thing that is keeping QUALITY candidates from running. It needs to stop. Only small minds partake in this sort of stupidity. As to the double standard, no doubt.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This whole situation could easily play into Palin's advantage. With the right kind of response, she can evoke a sympathy backlash from almost every middle-class family with daughters in the country, especially the ones that have experienced a teen-age pregnancy. She comes across as a mother defending herself and her daughters against a dirty old man and his lame attempts at humor at the expense of young girls. No doubt CBS is making every attempt to put out this fire in a hurry.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can tell you one thing for sure. If a garden slug like Letterman had said something like that about my kids at 14 or 18 he most likely would not have made it to work without crutches the next day. Nothing major. Just the knees. :eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard what he said too, all ten minutes of rambling about it. So since he's a liberal you give him the benefit of the doubt since he no doubt took the advice and input of his advisers and others and formulated a conclusion from that. Bush on the other hand you never give the benefit of the doubt for sincerity, intent etc. but I guess that's just a liberal/conservative thing sort of like the racism so prevalent in society. The "brother" liberal gets the free pass.

If he'd been sincere about it the whole thing would have taken a minute at most. He'd have flat out said he was misinformed about which daughter was in N.Y. and he made a definite mistake in telling that joke. He'd have offered a sincere apology. He'd also not mention a word about the slutty flight attendant joke during the apology to the 14 yr old girl. That was a different thing altogether and while it may have been in somewhat poor taste it wasn't an issue and never should have been brought into the apology.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They just replayed it on tv. As best as I recall it here's what he had to say.

"Do I regret having told them?" "I suppose probably I do."

Yeah, that sounds like a definite apology to me. So sincere and so absolute. How could anyone doubt or question such a solid and absolute apology as that?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No doubt CBS is making every attempt to put out this fire in a hurry.
You say that like you think they should try their dead level best to keep the story alive and hot as long as they can.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually, I HOPE they try their dead level best to keep the story alive and hot as long as they can. Funny how things like this that shouldn't be a big deal can become a big deal. If Palin is smart, she'll get on the phone with Karl Rove and get some guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.