Carrier cutting rates

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Doing a coast to coast van freight trip to pick up moms estate, see daughter in FL, friend in GA, Charleston, the Biltmore and now headed to Seattle.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
they are all doing it when they ask how much will you do this run for alway start out high
then settle where you wanted in first place

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
notice the theme in banner ads...that should tell ya how some carriers are leaning....miles, miles and more miles....I think when Spencer, owner of All State...exclaimed right here on EO....that the working model was "VOLUME" ....and we drivers are a commodity....

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Well the saga continues. Went into fleet vision to look at my settlement for tomorrow and low and behold I have 1 trip that has not cleared. I call settlements and they said "opps, its our fault but it will be put on next weeks settlement unless ofcourse I wanted it loaded on my card." The end of last month it was the whole settlement. I am not much into conspiracies but this was also the largest paying load I had for the week AND its the end of the month AGAIN. Anyone else have a load not clear this week that should have?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now I don't want to make things up or anything....

I had a load offer, and I ask who the customer was, I was told Bounce our sister company. Sure I'll take it. We didn't get the load. So, that got me thinking, did Bounce go with a lower rate carrier? lol

I'd rather believe that Bounce has preferred carriers. They never gave me a load when I was running under my own authority, and believe me, I was asking for cheap prices.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd rather believe that Bounce has preferred carriers. They never gave me a load when I was running under my own authority, and believe me, I was asking for cheap prices.

Bounce loads go for good rates sometimes, but not since the slow down. Also a lot of bounce loads are just quotes for their own customer, or even a third party logistics provider. Most of the time when I used to get bounce loads for my drivers they would take up to an hour to award the bid. That is because they were bidding on the load themselves and then handing it down to us after taking their cut. Thsy do have preferred carriers that they work with as well. We were on our way to becoming one of them.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Horse is not really dead yet.

Well, let’s see if the rate decrease is working….

Paying all deadhead, then no miles are really deadhead, just paying a really low rate. My my, look what the deadhead will do to my rates..

I took a few runs in June and ran the numbers.

Of the 5 random loads- per mile rate. All in- includes load pay, FSC and deadhead pay.

1. .87
  2. .88
  3. .83
  4. .94
  5. .77

The long dead head is the cause, this “new deal”…. Well, it needs flushing. Then, the Horse will die.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We left over the rate change. It never got close to working out close to even. Now its much better where we landed.

Funny thing, when I went to turn in my QualComm, a senior manager told me that Pike led the new owner down the garden path and expedite suffered greatly because neither of them understood the expedite business. Then I heard Pike was fired, but cannot confirm. He also told me, "They have no Plan B" describing a powerful ship turning in circles.

Yeah, turning lots of circles at a lower rate per circle!!!! :)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We left over the rate change. It never got close to working out close to even. Now its much better where we landed.

Funny thing, when I went to turn in my QualComm, a senior manager told me that Pike led the new owner down the garden path and expedite suffered greatly because neither of them understood the expedite business. Then I heard Pike was fired, but cannot confirm. He also told me, "They have no Plan B" describing a powerful ship turning in circles.

Yeah, turning lots of circles at a lower rate per circle!!!! :)

It might be going in circles because someone pulled the drain plug.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
It might be going in circles because someone pulled the drain plug.

No kidding! As I walked into the recruiting building entry, four of them, probably the whole recruiting crew walked out to take a long smoke break, leaving me to wait until they were good & ready to come back in. At that point they had no idea who I was so it wasn't' special treatment for a departing driver. When I went into the installation area, no one was there. And no one but the man I called came through while I was there. This was NOT the old Express-1, that company was full of life and great attitudes! Now it seems like a ghost town with just a few souls waiting to die, too!!! It WAS a great company! No more.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Didn't they say "it is all about the miles". :rolleyes:

3 of us was waiting to drop, one ask me how I liked this new deal. two of us didn't like it. We both been with E-1 for sometime. The third said he loves it, "I'm getting more miles, and get 1,000 miles a week, the deadhead pay is great....".

I ask him what his CPM was, "what's that?" he said.
Oh, look, the gate is open, I said.......

Some love the thought of more miles, some don't. Those that do should get them self 3 or 4 brokers lined up and go for the 3,000 3,500 miles a week, maybe 4,000 miles if you have a yellow box van.

My rates are right there with the Muilt carrier format......, but, not the miles.

Doing good though, learning to re-work the system.
LOL- they are giving us all EZPass and for the big boys EZPass +, yep taking a little more money away from us. That's ok with me, I was getting tired of beggin for tolls, deadhead pay and such. Oh, now I pay $1.00 per month service fee, and have a $10.00 deposit. Now with the company EZPass- 2.50 per week for CV/Sprinters, 7.50 per week for ST/TT, and new guys- $100.00 deposit. If you do not get their EZPass, then NO Tolls will be paid. Kinda forces you to get it huh?

Y'all best be getting over here before they start a waiting list....

guido4475

Not a Member
The Horse is not really dead yet.

Well, let’s see if the rate decrease is working….

Paying all deadhead, then no miles are really deadhead, just paying a really low rate. My my, look what the deadhead will do to my rates..

I took a few runs in June and ran the numbers.

Of the 5 random loads- per mile rate. All in- includes load pay, FSC and deadhead pay.

1. .87
  2. .88
  3. .83
  4. .94
  5. .77

The long dead head is the cause, this “new deal”…. Well, it needs flushing. Then, the Horse will die.
Ouch! Need to borrow my heat gun?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app