Carrier cutting rates

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Got a call today from a nameless fleet owner that E-1 just cut his rates on straight trucks. He was currently getting 1.24 per mile and they went back again to 1.12 plus their customary below market FSC.
Deadhead I think he said was .40 or .50 per mile.
Not sure if that is accurate?
Seems a little questionable after reading this gem. Then again, maybe not after reading their latest posts in the "carrier forum".

XPO Logistics Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2012 Results

zorry

Veteran Expediter
10% seems pretty hefty.
Did the fleet owner gain anything other than the hope of more loads ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
That's funny.
His situation isn't.
Parked next to what appears to be a two or three week old, high end,Express One truck.
I feel bad for the guy.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It isn't a surprise given the CEO said he planned to make big money, that usually isn't done by treating the little guy fairly. It is a really horrible thing to do to drivers when you have increased your revenue considerably. I can't picture people staying there at those rates especially when the company just proved they think you have no value.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That's funny.
His situation isn't.
Parked next to what appears to be a two or three week old, high end,Express One truck.
I feel bad for the guy.

Anyone who would've done some research would know that it's E-1's modus operandi. They cut rates quietly, then announce loudly when they go up, after losing a good portion of contractors.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Anyone who would've done some research would know that it's E-1's modus operandi. They cut rates quietly, then announce loudly when they go up, after losing a good portion of contractors.

But......they love their team players.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Spoke to a fleet owner that says they were on a call yesterday.
Figures his drivers will have to work 8 hours more a week to earn the same check.

The Team Player concept is not playing well with all of the fleets.

This guy is still a Express-1 fan. Just disappointed.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Are they cutting their rates, or just the driver pay?

Too early to tell but they didn't today. Probably the same game playing and BS they pulled the last time they cut rates. Maybe they will give them a penny raise next month and act like it is the second coming.