Bolt express is a freaking joke...ruining our business

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just found this out through my dispatch...Bolt Express is on the NLMI board doing the following....They are bidding freight where they have no trucks, and winning the bids and then outsourcing the freight to other carriers saying that the "TRUCK they where bidding the freight for wasn't gonna be able to get the freight, and offered it to my company for one load was .40cpm, the other time .45cpm just today...Sitting here in Dallas this is what has happened today...This morning had talked to all 3 Bolt drivers here...None had loads as of last night...Now by 8p.m. tonight they have been the only 3 vans/sprinters to leave this freaking parking lot...An, I am pretty sure outta everyone that was here other than Bolt last night is still here...We've got to do something about this crap...BOLT EXPRESS IS RUINING OUR BUSINESS/DRIVING DOWN THE COST OF FREIGHT, so where we can only get loads for ridiculous rates...How many other stories of this have ya'll heard, this needs to be brought to everyones ATTENTION Immediately, and Something needs to be done about this CRAP!!!! IMO Bolt Express is trying to MONOPOLIZE...:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just say no to drugs. Take a deep breath and call your priest. Things will be better in the morning. Unless your carrier sends you in for a random.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I'm confused? Are they trading loads, or just offering you the NLM loads at 40/45 cents? They may be just bidding on everything?

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know that this isnt the only time this has happened either, Ive been keeping my mouth closed for a long time now, and I do think that enough is enough!!!:D

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Theyre bidding on everything even if there arn't Bolt Trucks to do the loads, Ive heard other instances of this happening a lot lately, I never said anything cause i've never witnessed it, but now I have...And its wrong!!!:mad:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Dude,

Did you like forget the meds ..... or just run out ?

On the one hand you are talking about Bolt (my carrier, incidentally) bidding loads where they don't have trucks ...... and then in the next breath you are complaining about them loading their 3 trucks they have, there where you are at ..... so like .... which is it ?

You figure that Bolt is the only carrier that outsources loads to partner carriers ? Or bids on loads that they plan on outsourcing to a partner carrier ?

How long you been in this business anyways ?

FWIW, I've run loads for Bolt's partner carriers including (but not limited to): Landstar, Fedex, Panther, and Express 1 (which I assume is your carrier) ... and a number of others .... but you have never heard me on here complaining that any of these carriers are monopolizing freight or bidding loads that they don't have trucks to cover .....

I'm quite happy to service any of them as my carrier's customer, if my carrier sees fit to take their loads ....

I certainly hope that you got something a little more weighty than "I heard it from a dispatcher ....." .... before you go flipping your gums .....

I know that this isnt the only time this has happened either, Ive been keeping my mouth closed for a long time now, ...
Well hey, if it's been working for ya up until now ..... you might just wanna continue to run with it ...... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think many of the carriers that do NLM are doing that. I have to admit, that 40 some cents a mile for a van is pretty cheap. Might want to haul a few at a time. At that rate I wouldn't be worried about any exclusivity.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
NO Rlent, im saying that it is ILLEGAL on the NLMI board to bid on freight and then outsource the work to someone else, thats what Im saying, yall run your freight so freaking cheap that our business is goin to the wayside, thats what im sayin, dont say things like am i forgetting my meds READ THE POST!!! SO what I am sayin is your company is a JOKE!!!!! and yeah the reason that your vans/sprinter got outta here today was because the sprinter took a load for .58cpm, cuz I talked to her and what she said was Oh well guess it gets me outta Dallas, an Im sure the other two vans probably did the same crap...What your company is doing is bidding cheap on freight to earn business with companies and takin either break even or a small profit or a loss, so yall can run everywhere....SO LIKE I SAID BEFORE Your company is RUINING OUR BUSINESS!!! An trust me Im not the only one who thinks/knows this...

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have to chime in on this one. You can't blame Bolt for bidding cheap in order to secure (as a lot of companies are engaging in this type of behavior...including the bigger companies). You have to blame the driver's who run the freight at those rates. If none of these companies could get their drivers to run the freight at rock bottom prices, they would adjust their bidding practices according. You can't blame bolt for being competitive.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok yeah Blizzard I do agree, but Ive never taken a Load for cheaper than .75 cpm... but whatever maybe I shouldnt have said anything...??? Its just agravating for sure...OH WELL I APOLOGIZE JUST TRYIN TO UNDERSTAND WHY THIS TYPE OF CRAP IS GOING ON???

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yeah. I have run some cheap ones. But they were pieced together with other ones. One of the companies that I work for finds it easier to snag two loads going in the same direction at cheaper rates than it is to try and get full rate for a single load. Once again, I am the driver and I allow them to load me this way (upon occasion). I am being part of the problem too!

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Correct me if I'm wrong but are we not suposed to refrain from bashing carriers here? if you reference a post Chef Dennis made a week or two ago he described how he avoids taking cheap freight.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK, first, let me get this out of the way. Bolt is not trying to monopolize anything. They aren't anywhere near big enough to monopolize. They aren't big enough to have any kind of significant impact on rates or anything else. Rather than trying to monopolize, if anything they are trying to keep their doors open by trying to broker as much freight as they can.

You're way off the mark on some of this stuff, and a lot closer to some of it than people will admit. But, you were doing fine until you said it was illegal to bid NLMI and then broker it out. The word "illegal" means something very specific. It means not legal, it means in violation of the law. Now, if you know of a federal or state statute that makes bidding on NLMI and then outsourcing it to be illegal, please cite the statute. Otherwise, calm down, because your rage is what is causing you to be off target. Games are being played, to be sure, but not necessarily the kinds you think. Outsourcing NLMI bids is risky as all get out, but it's not illegal.

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Every carrier out there farms out work, including a whole lot of NLM loads, and it seems that every couple months someone is on here complaining about the practice. While I don't agree with some of the lowballing that goes on, there's nothing wrong with bidding NLM loads and then brokering them out again. I don't like double brokering any more than anyone else does, but it still comes down to the drivers and what kind of rates they will accept. I've done quite a few loads for Bolt as a partner and I've always gotten full rates from them. As for the double dipping, I'll do that quite a bit, but I only take a cheap load if it's just an LTL and not an expedite. Expedite loads should go for expedite rates, no matter how many of them are being run together. If some company is out there bidding expedite loads at LTL rates, then I can't say I care for that much, but I've always had a pretty good relationship with Bolt as a partner, so I don't think they're out there to ruin anyone else's business.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Really all you have to do is say NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT. If a company want to take a lost on loads that they have bid on from NLM let them do it. When everyone says no, they will quit doing the loads for so cheap. Once you commit to an NLM load you have to cover it at all cost if you want to keep your percentages with them I think.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm inclined to think that Bolt is bidding low on the NLM loads and getting awarded the load at a dirt cheap rate before confirming an acceptance with one of their own drivers. Then they have to broker it to another carrier to cover it and avoid a penalty from NLM and as Turtle said, this is very risky although not unheard of. It's also kind of stupid if this is really the case, because if for some reason they have to pay more than the cheap bid rate to get it covered they lose money on the deal. Seems to me that a dispatcher caught doing this on a regular basis would soon find himself in the unemployment line.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
NO Rlent, im saying that it is ILLEGAL on the NLMI board to bid on freight and then outsource the work to someone else thats what Im saying,
I full well understand that it isn't kosher to not have a truck committed when you bid an NMLI load (however as Turtle points out, it ain't illegal)

I hope that, being the really smart fellow that you obviously are, that you actually have some proof of the accusations you are making (farming out NLMI loads) .... opposed to just passing along stuff you heard at the truck stop from "those in the know"

yall run your freight so freaking cheap that our business is goin to the wayside, thats what im sayin,
You have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what I run my loads for .... so please stick a cork in your pie hole with the "yall" .....

But since you brought it up, here's my average rate per loaded mile, weekly for 5 weeks (around the last month or so, starting a week or so ago):

W/E 10/11/09 - $0.8895 per mile
W/E 10/04/09 - $1.0288 per mile
W/E 09/27/09 - $0.9581 per mile
W/E 09/20/09 - $0.8090 per mile
W/E 09/13/09 - $0.8222 per mile

Over that 5 weeks I ran 10,493 loaded miles, with a unpaid dispatched deadhead to my pickups of 1,224 miles. No brag, just fact.

And be sure to keep in mind when you look at the above figures that I'm a Sprinter that can only hold two pallets (built-in sleeper bunk) .... so unless it's tall, it's probably what would be considered van freight (most of what I haul)

And BTW - yes: if we ever happen to meet somewhere, I would be quite happy to pull up the above numbers on FleetVision to verify for you that they are real.

dont say things like am i forgetting my meds READ THE POST!!!
I tried reading your initial post - judging by several other posts in this thread I wasn't the only one that found it pretty much incomprehensible ....

SO what I am sayin is your company is a JOKE!!!!!
Omigawsh ..... now I'm really offended ...... :rolleyes:

and yeah the reason that your vans/sprinter got outta here today was because the sprinter took a load for .58cpm, cuz I talked to her and what she said was Oh well guess it gets me outta Dallas,
So what would be your suggestion ?

Maybe we should write our congressional reps and ask them to pass a law preventing any bids that result in pay less than say, what .... a buck per mile ?

Or maybe we could just outlaw O/O's and drivers from taking cheap loads ?

an Im sure the other two vans probably did the same crap...
Which, of course, is just another way of saying: "I really don't have a clue, since I didn't actually bother to talk to either of them ... so I'll just make a wild-assed guess instead ...."

What your company is doing is bidding cheap on freight to earn business with companies and takin either break even or a small profit or a loss, so yall can run everywhere....
Is that what they are doing ? Really ?

I guess I missed the memo .....

SO LIKE I SAID BEFORE Your company is RUINING OUR BUSINESS!!!
Well, they ain't ruining mine .....

An trust me Im not the only one who thinks/knows this...
Of that I'm quite sure ..... the world has no shortage of idiots.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
NLMI rankings are complicated and convoluted and you need a computer to figure it all out. The percentage of both winning and losing bids you make has an effect. So does the percentage of on-time deliveries with respect to all of the loads you haul on a given day. That's a large weight in the rankings, actually. Why it's not merely a percentage of all the NLMI loads you haul, instead of a percentage of all the loads you haul, I dunno, but them's the rules, y'all. Where it picks up and delivers, routing, even time of day can have different weightings for different loads, which affects the rankings. Lowest bid doesn't always get the load, it depends on your rank and those above and below your bid, and it depends on how time-critical the load is. Lots of things.

Smaller carriers who haul fewer loads per day, a late NLMI or two here or there can have a significant impact on their rankings. Larger carriers not so much, but then again, on-time percentages are weighted differently for larger carriers who haul more loads, so sometimes it can have a larger impact than on smaller carriers. It just depends. But what percentage of your total loads are NLMI also plays a part in the ranking weights. The higher percentage of NLMI loads you haul versus non-NLMI loads, the more weight your rankings will have, which is why carriers that are close to 100% NLMI can be late here and there and not lose their ranking (in other words, NLMI would really like it if you gave NLMI loads ultra special consideration and treatment).

If your rank has fallen for whatever reason (sometimes through no fault of the carrier), one of the quickest ways to get it back up is to do a lot of bidding and then broker it out, and make sure it gets delivered on time. Those brokered loads are brokered, not hauled, so it can really bump up your on-time rankings. But it's also risky in that if any of them are late, you're digging yourself a deeper hole, and doing it quickly. Most all the carriers will broker out NLMI loads now and then for various reasons, but no one outsources a lot of NLMI bids for very long, it's too risky and you don't make enough money for it to be sustainable. But it can be a quick, sometimes lifesaving step, to higher paying NLMI loads (relatively speaking).

Some carriers will outsource NLMI because they have to, they need the revenue, but others will do it occasionally because why sit there and let other carriers bid and get all the revenue when they can at least get a small percentage out of the thing as a broker. Might as well, especially if they can get some goober who is panicking in Texas to haul it on the cheap. The problem is, soon people begin to think it takes cheap freight to get out of Texas, and will accept cheap freight because they think that's all there is, and carriers will offer cheap rates to panicky drivers even when the freight ain't cheap, and the driver never knows the difference. But there's always some panicky goober out there willing to haul anything on the cheap just for lunch money. There has always been someone out there, somewhere, willing to haul it cheaper, and there always will be. They don't last, but then again we don't run out of them, either. Seems to be and endless supply of 'em. People who say, "Don't haul cheap freight!" will themselves haul cheap freight if they can justify it, either by doubling up or to get out of Texas, or whatever.

Incidentally:

"SO what I am sayin is your company is a JOKE!!!!!"

My company is me, my carrier is not. In any case, all carriers are a joke. All of them, even the ones that people will staunchly defend out of some ignorant misguided loyalty. Carriers are in this business for themselves, not for the drivers, the fleet owners or the owner/operators. Trucks and vans and their owners and drivers are a necessary evil, tools with which to make money. They will always do whatever is in their best interest. Never forget that.

Welcome to the real world, Neo.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
TJ your a good guy but this op is out of line. I know your frustrated from being in TX and Dallas so long and I think that is affecting you thinking. What a comany offers their driver or another company a load for does not say what they got for the load. Price alone does
not win a bid. Is it possible just maybe they tried to broker the loads before giving the to their own drivers? How can you be sure they have no other drivers in the area?

Time to think about deadheading somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.