Best thing to coat wood van floor with?

guido4475

Not a Member
I've always used oil based polyurethane to put on my plywood that covers my floor. It has worked well. Im planning on replacing the plywood this summer, and am wondering if anyone has used anything more durable? I've seen ads for pour on acylic and wondering about using that.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I product that I used on each of four vans was Min-wax water based polyurethane (Blue label). A clean dry surface is essential. I spent a few extra dollars on Balttic Birch Plywood because it is dense and has a very smooth surface; moreso than AC which is also good. The water based polyurethane dries and can be re-coated in a few minutes. I used 3 or four coats. As time wears on, so does the coating so I would clean and re-coat; it would be dry by the time I might have gotten to an ASAP pickup.

Another thing that I did was to buy a couple of Home Depot fuzzy faced rubber door mats and cut them in 8 inch squares. I lay they all out with the fuzzy side up and spray silicone them two or three times. I would place them on the floor, fuzzy side down so that the corners of a pallet would sit on four of them. This made it easy to push a 2000# pallet forward or pull it to the rear without forklift assistance. The pads also helped to keep the floor scratch free. This also required that I secured the freight from moving in any direction.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always used oil based polyurethane to put on my plywood that covers my floor. It has worked well. Im planning on replacing the plywood this summer, and am wondering if anyone has used anything more durable? I've seen ads for pour on acylic and wondering about using that.

Any thoughts? Ideas?
Here I thought You were getting a new Cube Van and a set of Walmart plastic Ramps and starting to run Small Str8 truckloads ...

Reactions: RoadTime

guido4475

Not a Member
I product that I used on each of four vans was Min-wax water based polyurethane (Blue label). A clean dry surface is essential. I spent a few extra dollars on Balttic Birch Plywood because it is dense and has a very smooth surface; moreso than AC which is also good. The water based polyurethane dries and can be re-coated in a few minutes. I used 3 or four coats. As time wears on, so does the coating so I would clean and re-coat; it would be dry by the time I might have gotten to an ASAP pickup.

Another thing that I did was to buy a couple of Home Depot fuzzy faced rubber door mats and cut them in 8 inch squares. I lay they all out with the fuzzy side up and spray silicone them two or three times. I would place them on the floor, fuzzy side down so that the corners of a pallet would sit on four of them. This made it easy to push a 2000# pallet forward or pull it to the rear without forklift assistance. The pads also helped to keep the floor scratch free. This also required that I secured the freight from moving in any direction.

Thanks for the input. Im not a huge fan of water based polyurethane, as I think it gives a "milky" look to the finush, as well as not that durable, and doesnt sink into the wood as easily.

I strap my freight down all the time, regardless of size and/or weight.

guido4475

Not a Member
Here I thought You were getting a new Cube Van and a set of Walmart plastic Ramps and starting to run Small Str8 truckloads ...
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png

emoji12.png

I may not be the brightest bulb on the tree at times, but I'm not that stupid. I'll leave that up to you know who....lol. With the recent garbage rates being offered, a new van is definitely out of the question.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone ever hear of someone gluing the wood floor down with adhesive or something?
I'm going to be replacing or resurfacing my floor at some point, and I can't figure out how it is attached.
There are no noticeable spots where screws or anything were used, so I'm thinking it was glued down,
which might be interesting if I try to remove it :construction2:

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Plywood floor? That's so 90's. My first van I put down plywood. I used mineral spirit based poly and thinned the first couple of coats with wood stain, color optional. Thinning the poly allowed it to soak deeper into the plywood. I finished it off with a few more coats of undiluted poly.

With my next two vans I took Mr. McGuire's advice that there's a great future in plastics. My 2004 Chevy I used a plastic composite fascia board and my current Transit has vinyl garage door jamb.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can’t say over long term, but I used minwax fast drying polyurethane on my plywood. I put on 4 coats, in between listening to Nirvana and watching My So Called Life.

With exception of one pallet having a downward nail that carved its way out, it’s all solid.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
Plywood floor? That's so 90's. My first van I put down plywood. I used mineral spirit based poly and thinned the first couple of coats with wood stain, color optional. Thinning the poly allowed it to soak deeper into the plywood. I finished it off with a few more coats of undiluted poly.

With my next two vans I took Mr. McGuire's advice that there's a great future in plastics. My 2004 Chevy I used a plastic composite fascia board and my current Transit has vinyl garage door jamb.

So 90's?....I'm not in a fashion show here. I use what works and is durable.

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
I honestly have never thought of coating my floor. It gets scratched/gouged up from plallets, and idiots who don't know how to properly use fork trucks.

So my question is, other than looks. What is the benefit of coating the flooring? I have plywood for it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
General Finishes brand
High Performance Top Coat
Is the hardest finish you will find. It's a water based poly.

General Finishes Top Coat

You'll need to use the Where To Buy search feature to find where to, uhm, buy it, as its not a general retail item. It's a professional item.

For years I used Minwax Polycrylic. Worked great. Reapplied every 2 or 3 years. But I've been using the General Finishes. It's not cheap, but it will last longer than the retail stuff.

guido4475

Not a Member
General Finishes brand
High Performance Top Coat
Is the hardest finish you will find. It's a water based poly.

General Finishes Top Coat

You'll need to use the Where To Buy search feature to find where to, uhm, buy it, as its not a general retail item. It's a professional item.

For years I used Minwax Polycrylic. Worked great. Reapplied every 2 or 3 years. But I've been using the General Finishes. It's not cheap, but it will last longer than the retail stuff.

Excellent product and information. Thank you. I'd rather pay more for a quality durable product than a cheap inferior product, only to have to do it again, over and over. I noticed a 21 day fully cured time. Any input on this?

guido4475

Not a Member
I honestly have never thought of coating my floor. It gets scratched/gouged up from plallets, and idiots who don't know how to properly use fork trucks.

So my question is, other than looks. What is the benefit of coating the flooring? I have plywood for it.

It looks better, more professional, easier to clean up, wipe up, and I believe it slows down the wear of wood that we put it through. Less stains.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You can cut the cure time in half by waiting 48 hours between coats. Keep it well ventilated maybe a fan on low with low humidity.

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would probably coat it outside the van (after fitting but not fastening) wow that takes awhile to dry

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

None of you seasoned expediters have learned the secret to keeping your hardwood floors in pristine condition? 1. You cover them with a good area rug in between loads to keep them nice, and also to provide creature comfort. 2. you cut at least 4 big square pieces of soft carpet. Just the cheap carpet. Then when you're being loaded, turn the carpet upside down so that the soft side goes onto the hardwood and the hard/non slip side is on top for the skid to be placed onto. No only will this protect your hardwood floors, it will make is super easy for the skids to be moved into and out of your van!

guido4475

Not a Member
I would probably coat it outside the van (after fitting but not fastening) wow that takes awhile to dry

That's what I do now, I have Lowes cut the sheets in half lengthways, than sand it, than polyurethane it with several coats, leave it in the garage to dry while I go back out in service for a couple weeks, than come home and cut it to size and screw down. If rates ever improve and stay somewhat consistent and I decide to get a new van, I will have the etrack recessed into the wood floor, at the body manufacturer to eliminate the need to lay plywood on top of the floor in between the e-track.

guido4475

Not a Member
None of you seasoned expediters have learned the secret to keeping your hardwood floors in pristine condition? 1. You cover them with a good area rug in between loads to keep them nice, and also to provide creature comfort. 2. you cut at least 4 big square pieces of soft carpet. Just the cheap carpet. Then when you're being loaded, turn the carpet upside down so that the soft side goes onto the hardwood and the hard/non slip side is on top for the skid to be placed onto. No only will this protect your hardwood floors, it will make is super easy for the skids to be moved into and out of your van!

I've seen and heard about this excellent idea for many years. Im sure it works very well. However, many times I have been loaded by a forklift driver who has a zillion things to do. So time is of the essence, and I am sure that he has no time to wait while I play Marta Stewart with carpet. And besides, we make what, 75,85,95 thousand a year and we cant afford a hundred bucks give or take every 2 years to refresh the floor?

Its like tires. I see so many run them till theres nothing left, only to get changed a tire disposal fee when they get new ones. Why wait that long? I replace mine with close to 25% tread remaining, so that way I eliminate the tire disposal fee because I sell the used ones for 150 bucks. The construction guys snatch them up in a hurry for their pickup trucks. Doing it this way I always have good tires on the van.

Sorry to wander off topic...lol

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
I don't want skids to be able to move around easily. Can create an issue with transport (even though I strap everything down).

That being said, that sounds like way too much thought into it. Like I can see coating floors. To each their own. But dealing with such a hassle to keep a deck clean seems going overboard.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If you want to treat your floor, there used to be a product used for Bowling alley Lanes called "Fabalon" (sp). When I worked for a custom home builder he used it on hard wood floors.