Installing plywood flooring in Promaster

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Hello everyone. I have been driving for an owner and I'm ready to take the step into getting my own van, as such I'm trying to get as much figured out as possible before making the purchase.

Whats on my mind today is the flooring...I want to have a plywood floor with 2 sets of e track bolted onto the plywood, or possibly recessed with the plywood surrounding it.

Let me start by saying if there is a good guide on how to get this done please let me know I cannot find one only similar ones that are on the basis of making sprinters into campers, not expediting.

So obviously I use a jigsaw to cut my plywood into the pieces it needs, but I'm confused on how to actually attach it to the floor. Do you bolt it through the metal and go underneath the van with nuts? if so what sort of tools do I need to make this happen? or is there another method I should do?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My promasters have came with the Black floor installed in at factory ... no need for extra plywood needed ...carry a cheap broom and very easy to keep clean ...IMO
My E-trac are fastened to 2 x 10 's that are fastened to 2 x 6 that are anchored to D-rings in floor ...
e7f57a44db8dbee91e30dd013a67fbcc.jpg
e05710ab630a7a3d48829a6ddf3d2499.jpg

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
My promasters have came with the Black floor installed in at factory ... no need for extra plywood needed ...carry a cheap broom and very easy to keep clean ...IMO
My E-trac are fastened to 2 x 10 's that are fastened to 2 x 6 that are anchored to D-rings in floor ...
e7f57a44db8dbee91e30dd013a67fbcc.jpg
e05710ab630a7a3d48829a6ddf3d2499.jpg

well from all the vans ive looked at they didn't have that floor its just the standard white sheet metal. But I am interested in how you mounted that partition? really the major confusion I am having is how to properly mount everything, other than that I have a few blueprints of how I wanna set it up in my head. Very nice vans btw I like the set up

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
well from all the vans ive looked at they didn't have that floor its just the standard white sheet metal. But I am interested in how you mounted that partition? really the major confusion I am having is how to properly mount everything, other than that I have a few blueprints of how I wanna set it up in my head. Very nice vans btw I like the set up
9fc51e6165e8e0ea41e08373aff1c7b3.jpg
103f537cbcd1ffa8b406954a8197a563.jpg

The 2 x 6 to floor i use door knob cut out tool to position board over D-ring .. then put short 2x6 on top and drill small hole to fasten J-hook to tighten up ...
For partition .. 2x2 mounted inside of bottom Etrac support board and L shape corner bracket at top sheet metal screwed in ..doesn't effect the 55 " inbetween wheel well for freight ... on the 159" inside length ..i put partition at around 102" mark from back doors ... normally i haul 2 skids or less so door is closed in bed area ..if need 3 skid room ..open up door and adjust bed as needed ..my bed goes crossways and will fold up behind seat as i only give 148" for freight

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first Chevy I installed a plywood floor. My second Chevy I put down solid plastic composite planks used as exterior fascia. Very durable but almost 3 times the weight of ⅝" plywood. Both floors had the E-Track recessed.

My current Transit I tried a light weight plastic product sold as garage door jamb. I'm very pleased with the durability and the slight R value it adds to the floor. I bought this product at Menards, a midwest regional home improvement store. I believe it comes in 3 lengths, 4', 6' and 8'. Available colors are white, brown and black. I laid down a plywood subfloor using a construction adhesive. I screwed down the flooring (door jamb) with small brass screws that self-countersunk in the plastic. The E-Track is recessed. Best van floor I've had and still holding up well after two years. If a plank should get damaged, I could easily replace it. The E-Track is secured with stainless steel bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers. Where a bolt couldn't be use because of underside access, I used stainless steel, self-tapping (Tec) screws.

Make sure you know where you are drilling! These van have all kinds of crazyass stuff like fuel lines, brake lines, fuel tanks, wiring etc. on the underside.
Transit stuff 1.JPG
Transit Stuff 3 - Copy.JPG
.van 36.JPG