Accepting every load...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I've heard several ppl (and three orientations) say to accept every load, because you never know what you'd miss on the other side. I could say the opposite is also true... you don't know what load would come up next unless you turn the first one down. Or worse yet, you'll find out and be pizzed. Case in point... Run from Houston to Wichita on a Monday. Nothing the rest of the week, and last straw for my co-driver. We found three very good runs out of Houston the next two days. This Monday, Detroit to Plainsville, IN. Turned it down. Took one from Livonia to Louisville and was pre-dispatched picking up in Louisville to Denver.

Now, Denver could be a curse or blessing depending on what comes out of here. But my point is, the safe bet isn't always the first thing to pop up. I could've gotten a load out of IN to TX, but I chose to roll the dice. Ends up I pulled dispatch out of the fire two loads in a row, and probably picked up points because I turned one down. I don't believe in favors with dispatch (at least not with my former companies), but I do believe part of the job is taking care of your dispatch when they need you to. It amounts to recognition. They will remember your loyalty and dedication (especially with smaller companies). And I don't concider that a favor... it's business.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I used to pull favors for P2. But after I didn't get what i'd negotiated, taht was the end of that. They always seem to get forgotten in the sea of truck numbers.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i run mostly local and once in while take what egl calls a hotshot run if it't under 500 miles and have time to run out and back and not have to much time tied up in run most times i'll take it
but 2 weeks ago offer a run to houston turned it down as it would take to long to do it , and may not get anything back and than it turns out you ran for half price, if you are able to run load and back it pay's for itself

question i alway ask how much will it pay, and how much if price is not call some else it's just business

acouple of time about 1600 a customer would like this delivered to them and they live in sandbridge part of vabch and tell'em going home and it doesn't pay to go in rush hour traffic and it's over 30 to place and than go home fighting traffic and tell em call some one else

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most of what you decribed is the law of averages. It usually makes sense to stay where the majority of freight is. It doesn't mean you don't stray from an area, but you have to factor what it takes to return. Or value the cost of sitting if you turn down a load.

"Businessman first, driver second"

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
Believe me I have learned the hard way about accepting every load! I have sat out west more than any time I've ever taken off so far. I do feel bad when I have to say no to a load, sometimes they will offer it again and again which makes it even harder. Sometimes I will budge if they offer a little more for me to take it like full DH.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
DENVER!!! DENVER?? If your with P2 get ready to SIT SIT SIT (unless you want to dh). I took a load out there not to long ago, I asked bout freight back and was told there is a lot but just no averages because there is a lot of turn down due to no trucks being there. So I go out there, deliver Friday morning. Sat Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday they finnally empty moved me to Columbia, MO. There wasn't nothing on Getloaded or landstar to get out. If you get stuck and get bored try out the Natural History Musemum, there is a park across the street where you can park the truck. After that there is a nice mall on the southside of town, though you'll have to go across the street to park overnight there.

hounddog1

Seasoned Expediter
What is the most important factor to consider when accepting a load offer? Is there any companies out here that will offer you their "top dollar" without negoiating? When negoiating a load offer what do most companies offer more of?--price per mile,more fsc,paid DH,etc. I am trying to understand why more companies would not give you their "best offer" in the begining, this would make their company money and their o/os money. I think if more companies out here (and o/os) would be more successful if they did not follow the "big oil companies" profit mentality which is to make record profits by selling less product. A fair day's wages for fair day's work--just a thought.:7

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
No, Magic... no P2 here. Surprising you say that tho. If you drive for them, and only utilize their dispatchers, you're only giving yourself half the available business. They allow you to find your own loads, I suggest you do that if you get in a sit and wait mode again.

They already dispatched me on a run this morning, but it cancelled. At least I know the fish are biting, so I'll keep trolling this spot till tomorrow.

Another thing when taking a run out west is don't expect to get a load out. You may call it pessimistic. But I've found out a dose of reality tastes better than a shot of optimism. If I don't move, I'm not disappointed. If I do, then it's a bonus.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Take every load you have to wonder about what the next one would have been. Turn down a load you have to wonder what the following load would have been. There's no magic system and there's no way to know whether it's better to accept or decline. Unfortunately that's just how it is.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter
when we were leased we didn't take every load. When I was on the truck with the husband I heard him turn down a LOT of loads. He has a good instinct for where to go and where not to. Now that we have been on our own for a couple of years I am learning more every day about where to go and where not to. We stay east of the Mississippi and avoid New England like the plague. Anywhere else you want to send us we will consider it (Tractor Load). Its a lot easier for a 48' Van to get loads out of cold locations than it would be for the smaller trucks though. I use the DAT board when I have to and can pretty much always find something. If I were running smaller trucks I would stay in our "comfort zone" unless they were paying really well to go outside of it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
People researching the expediting industry would be wise to read Tennesseahawk's post over and over again and take it to heart. He describes well the uncertainty that all load acceptance strategies carry.

If you turn down a load, you wonder if you should have taken it. If you accept a load, you wonder if you should have turned it down. If no load offers come in for a while, you wonder if you should move to a busier freight area. And if you move, you wonder if you should have stayed put.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A person who will accept every load is probably also inclined to accept the first price quote of a used car salesman; or, believe the plea of the "will work for food" people; or even open an e-mail attachment from an unknown source. You can't always gamble on all of the advice of a dispatcher and expect to be a successful expediter.. I believe that every run offer from every company stands on its own merits and that, when offered a run, I must first determine if it fits my business criteria, and then determine if it fits my personal criteria.

This 4th of July weekend is a good example. Last night, the 29th, I was offered a good pay-per-mile run that picked up this morning and delivered to detroit this evening. If I had accepted this load, I would have had two choices; (a) return home to Missouri and spend all the run revenue on time and operating expenses; or, (b) stay in Detroit and wish for another offer on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday (Holiday) or Wednesday.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
I think that every post has missed the point here on this topic. Keep in mind that what we all do is Expediting, which is movement of time sensitive freight - the ambulance service to the trucking industry. Carriers are not in business to be travel agents for owner operators - carriers exist to move their customer's freight. Those cutomers are truely the owner-operator's customers. That customer freight is the owner-operator's freight. That freight goes where, and when, the customer needs it, not when and where the driver or carrier wishes.

Since OUR freight is expedited, and of time critical nature, the carrier, the owner-operator and the customers cannot forcast the future. No one can tell if there will be another load waiting for the owner-operator in the city where they are delivering. True, owner-operators who are good businessmen and women may not consider taking a load that takes them to an area where loads were scarce in the past. The same holds true for the customer who needs that load moved. That customer may not call the carrier with that load, or any of their other loads, because when they call, the carrier is unable to cover the load.

Think about it.

Taking the good with the bad is a part of EVERY job in EVERY industry.

On second thought, the job of the beer taster for Anhueser Busch can't have too many downsides, unless you don't like beer.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

:+

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
ATEAM: Better yet, read the recruiters post over, and over again. Internalize the parts about the freight on the truck being "your freight" , and, the part about the customer being "your customer". Way too many O/O, if not the vast majority, have not got this figgured out yet. Internalize the part about dispatch not being your "travel Agent". That's a fact folks. And internalize this, those of you that think you have all the answers to the freight lanes, or most of them, cannot :censoredsign: me for a minute. Because,one ting fo sure in this business, thay ain't nutt'in fo sure. And you can quote that if you want.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hello HotFr8Recruiter,

I disagree with your comments. The mindset that this is a job is wrong I view a job as a employee employer type relationship. O/O are independent business people. Their first priority is to their profitability not to move freight for a carrier or a customer that does not meet his or her goals for profit. An O/O operator is not a charity.

The carrier, if they are so worried about the customer it should be their responsibility to make the load meet the expectations of what the O/O feels he needs to move that freight for the customer and the carrier. The carrier wants to be profitable also they know that certain loads to area's will require long deadhead miles and or long layovers. The carriers expects the O/O to carry this burden. My opinion is if the carrier is so worried about loosing a load or customer they should shoulder the burden of any losses.

The O/O is required only after they accept the load to deliver the products in good condition and to represent the carrier and himself as a professional.

Many carriers want O/O to buy into the idea that they are partners with them. I have not seen one partnership agreement only Independent Contractors Agreements.

And another thing, this idea we are the ambulance service to the trucking industry is hard to believe, because when someone is ill or hurt and they need an ambulance they don't call and check prices of different ambulance services.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Insult that contributed nothing to the discussion removed.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Colonel, I respectfully disagree and think Ace makes some valid points.As you well know Roberts Express was paying D units .20 per mile back in the 80's for deadhead after the first 50 miles. These days FEDEXCC pays D units .20 per mile after the first 100 with fuel costing $2.00 more per gallon then in 1987.

So an INDEPENDENT O/O needs to think of his/her bottom line not necessarily the Company that they operate through. What should come first, make zero profit on a trip so that the company makes their profit. Will a Company employee come to work if their supervisor said"Today we want you to do the same job that you did yesterday but we will only pay you 50% of your normal rate"? You know what that answer would be.

Simply put there is no happy medium,also hindsight can certainly keep you awake in this business. Have a nice 4th.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
All I can say, Rich and Ace, is BINGO!

Every link in a load getting from a to b has a different agenda. Customer wants it there... period. Sometimes they can afford to shop, sometimes they can't. The company wants to cover as much freight as possible with as little hassles. That's why you get the Panther offers of 250 loaded with 200 dh. We, as o/o or drivers, try to make due with what we're given. Can we make a profit with the above load? Not with what dh pay is.

Every link has an agenda, and sometimes it's a necessity to get all three to work together for the wheels to turn. Perfect example... load going to Saskatewan, driver says he'll take it if they pay for him going back to Minneapolis. Company calls and asks, customer accepts, driver accepts, load moves. Bottom line is, you want us to go the extra mile? Sure... someone has to pay for the extra mile. And by the driver turning down the load, they're saying they aren't. It's business. Frankly, I don't know of any construction companies who will throw in the garage for free. Yep, Colonel... nothing's for certain, but nothing's free either.

And Hotfreightrecruiter... those customers aren't ours until their freight is on our truck. THEN we treat them like our customers. It's up to the company to find a truck to put it on. And, I know if it's not going onto my truck, another one will be along; whether it be from my company, or brokered out to another one. I know the company isn't making as much if they have to broker it, but at least the drivers and o/os aren't eating it. We're the ones who can least afford to be charities in this equation.

Honestly... how often does the company "return the favor"? And how often do they play the violin when their most loyal o/os have to quit the business? A true partnership has one partner looking out for the other. Truth is, if we're not watching our own backs, no one is.

Btw... got a load at the 11th hour. Deadheading 500 miles for 1125 lm, so I can dh 400 more home afterwards. Better than dh all the way. Forgot to mention... I found this load and called dispatch, who in turn got it for me. That's as good a partnership as I would expect. :D

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I wouldn't Dead Head ten miles for twenty cent, let alone a hunder'd. There are more ways to view this industy than from one five degree angle, there are three hunder'd fifty five left. And if you folks are thinking you're getting taken advantage of, or, it don't go where you wanna go, then, by all means turn the load down. I'll be happy to haul it, no problem.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some interesting observations. I would say that I am in the middle of some of the thoughts. On one side is a carrier trying to satisfy customers in a very competitive market. It becomes a supply and demand issue that drives the price they charge for their services.
On the other side is the owner operator trying to operate on a older rate structure with increasing costs.
The criteria for choosing loads has changed over the last several years. Every facet of truck operating has increased. We make load decisions based on our ability to turn a profit. It doesn't mean we don't do a favor from time to time, but we operate as a business.
That is why we deadhead very little and use our own loads when necessary.
And as mentioned, we are not employees, and I don't operate our trucks like we are.
The other consideration is that a carrier may have a customer that they move a load and never really turn a profit on that load. It happens all the time. Either to satisfy a customer, our to move trucks to a more load friendly area. I see many carriers hauling loads that pay the truck say $1.50 but they bid the load at $1.10.
Supply and demand again.

Bottom line is you have to run it like a business. If someone puts personal reasoning in their load selections, I see little wrong with that. That is why you are a independent contractor and not a employee.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator